1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RED LED's

Discussion in 'Cases, Modding & Electronics' started by dominator2, Jun 21, 2009.

1. dominator2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have some fairly new fans that are quiet and have good airflow and blue led's. Currently they are mounted in my Antec 900 system. I just ordered a CM 922 case and I want to change the led's in three of the 120mm fans and install them in the new case, after I paint the inside black. I know I should just buy red fans, but I always like a challenge. I have been building systems for along time but changing fan led's is something I have never done. It doesn't seem like a big project but what I do need to know is what led's do I need to get and where do I buy them from. Using a voltmeter the voltage to the led looks like 3.3 volts and 3mm in dia. Appreciate any and all comments. Thanks

2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. Studabaker

Studabaker New Member

Thanks Received:
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, you can run them straight into a 4 pin molex connector but just using the + and - terminals.

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    drill a hole in the fans and use hot glue to secure them. Just make sure the molex uses the 3.3V / 5V and ground line, unless your LED's are rated for more.

You may need resisors as athlonX2 pointed out...here is a tutorial I found gooling it. http://www.instructables.com/id/LEDs-for-Beginners/

Last edited: Jun 21, 2009
    Studabaker says thanks.
  6. dominator2 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Are you sure these are bright enough? 18-20MCD is very not very bright as the high intensity ones run 2000-3000MCD. Have you personally used these leds?? If the're as bright or brighter than the standard ones that are supplied in the fans that is good. Thanks for the reply

7. wojo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Would it be easier to just get new fans with red led's then you can give me the old one's.

8. Mark_Hardware

Mark_Hardware New Member

Thanks Received: