1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Redoing Media Server rig, best way to backup current setup.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by BrooksyX, Jan 31, 2013.

1. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    This weekend I plan redoing my ubuntu home media server rig's OS. I will be updating it to the latest version of XBMCbuntu, frodo, based on ubuntu 12.10. Currently I have the eden build based on ubuntu 11.10.

My OS is on a 30gb OCZ vertex drive and all the media is on HDDS. I am wondering what is the easiest free way to make a complete image of my OS drive so I can restore if I mess things up or don't like the latest version?

2. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    If you have a WD or Seagate drive, both offer a free version of Acronis True Image Home that will allow you to clone drives. You just need to have the drive plugged in...in the case of WD, even a USB external drive is enough to get their version of the Acronis software working.

BrooksyX says thanks.
  3. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    dude, i just did this. no worries. you don't need to wipe everything out when upgrading xbmc from 11 to 12 using xmbcbuntu. just run the update through the PPA, reboot and wallah, you are now using xbmc 12!

In fact these are the exact commands i entered.

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:team-xbmc/ppa

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install xbmc

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBMCbuntu/FAQ#Upgrading_XBMC_via_ppa_in_XBMCbuntu

Jetster, cadaveca and BrooksyX say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I am aware of this but think I would rather do a fresh install. My current version of XBMCbuntu is 32bit but I am running on a AMD cpu with 4gb of ram so I can't access all of it so I want to upgrade to the 64 bit AMD build.

Also I have a bunch of garbage on the rig because I have been using it to learn linux as well and I also currently use it as a tvheadend server, torrent box, and lamp web server (just a personal website). I want to add an ftp server, in browser ftp client, in browser SSH, etc. I have big plans for this rig haha. Actually, I plan on doing a project log for everything.

5. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    Any other thoughts?

6. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    cadaveca and BrooksyX say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
  8. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Or Clonezilla. And, by the way, I have found that Macrium Reflect free edition is as good as Acronis if not better.