1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

reformatting

Discussion in 'General Software' started by hat, Nov 22, 2006.

1. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I got my hands on a copy of Windows Xp Home (yes I wanted home) and I'm wondering what to do with it. I'm all for the reformat since my computer is a little strange anyway, but what programs? So basically I know I'm getting ad-aware, but what else? Note that I will not be useing any antivirus programs. I have a hardware firewall that blocks intrusions and i only go to about 4 websites which I trust so no viruses..

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. hat

hat Maximum Overclocker

Thanks Received:
    I am back from reformats! Success! I am now officially geeky enough to pick out chipset drivers and LAN network adapters and do the actual reformat myself. I am proud of myself though, usually when I want a reformat I am at the mercy of my uncle. However without this forum telling me how to boot off image files, there would have been no reformats. Tis a very good newbie friendly place and I respect you for that. :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  3. jb3nny

jb3nny New Member

Thanks Received:
    hi

Good job on successfully reformating. I highly urge you however to get a good free antivirus program. You can get a virus from more ways than just surfing on unknown websites... also you are doing a dis-service to the rest of the computing community by not having an anti-virus program. You may be unknowningly spreading virus' to others. Also there is simply no reason to not run one especially if you are alright with running ad-ware. Anyways thats just my 2 cents and i would never run w/o one.

Cheers,
    Jon

Last edited: Nov 23, 2006
  4. Alcpone

Thanks Received:
    AVG free edition will atleast give you a little virus protection and windows defender is not to bad either!

p.s - well done on doing it all yourself!