1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Refurb Items, your thoughts?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by AlienIsGOD, Jul 22, 2012.

1. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    So recently I purchased a refurb set of Logitech z623 2.1 THX certified speakers for $69.99 down from $159.99. They have been golden for the month i've had them so far and it led me to my next purchase... Logitech g510 keyboard. The keyboard looks almost brand new so it made me wonder why it was sent back. i have had it for 3 days no and no problems. O ya i paid $68.99 + taxes for it, which I believe is a great price.

So have any of you bought refurb items? and if so, how does the item work in the time you have had it? Good and bad experiences welcomed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  2. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I have bought refurbished items from both NewEgg and Amazon. Experience has almost always been good.

I did buy a DeWalt air compressor refurb'd from Amazon.
    It was $300+ new and I got it for about $220 and was in brand new condition.
    When I received it the air tube that connected the motor to the tank was broken from bouncing around in transit. I sent an e-mail to Amazon and they gave me a bit over $100 back if I would fix it myself instead of shipping it back. I did. It works fine now. So I got a $300+ air compressor for about $115.

Never had a problem with a refurb'd item from the 'Egg. (monitors and printers)

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  3. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Not me, but a friend bought a refurb PS3, it's still running fine. My PS3 was new, it YLOD and i fixed with a heatgun. The lesson being, never buy a console at launch, especially if it is overpriced.

4. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    It depends on the the item, most things I don't have a problem buying refurbished, but I don't buy refurbished hard drives.

I got most of my GTX470's refurbished for $100-120 a piece and they are running strong for well over a year, even under 100% load F@H on some.

Of course it is funny you mention the G510, I bought it brand new and had to send it back 3 times before I got a working one. The first one the built in audio ports crackled, the second one the volume wheel didn't work, the third one had crackly audio again, and finally the forth worked. If I buy another one I'll probably go with a refurb, just because I know someone probably had a problem with it, and logitech has already fixed it.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  5. Fatal1ty39

Thanks Received:
    is it a good idea to buy a refurbished pny gtx480 ?

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    There is usually a return policy on refurbs so it's not that risky.
    Just make sure you get it in and test it right away.

... and save the packaging until you know it's good. ;)

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  7. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    When I RMA WD drives I always get a re-certified drive back from them. They've always worked exceptionally well. Many companies do a good job with re-certified hardware.

8. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I try to only buy refurbed items. Most places I shop are Dell Outlet, Newegg(usually new), and Amazon(both). I peruse SlickDeals, BensBargains, FatWallet etc...for weeks/months before I make a purchase to make sure I'm paying the proper price. It also doesn't hurt to read forums and reviews on what other people think about the product you're considering for purchase.

Newer isn't always better, but try to buy good quality...it usually lasts longer with fewer hiccups.

LC

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  9. Darkleoco

Darkleoco

Thanks Received:
    Not Newegg or Amazon but I bought my girlfriend a reburbished iPod classic 80 GB from Gamestop and it was in nearly brand new condition and is still working perfectly 7 months after buying it.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  10. Krazy Owl

Krazy Owl New Member

Thanks Received:
    Look at my setup and the mobo is refurbished with new condensers. 40$ and working well but no possible overclock on it. I,m happy and it's my HTPC and older gaming rig.

11. Maelstrom

Thanks Received:
    I've bought two refurb items, an alienware m11x r1 and an evga p55 motherboard. The laptop is still running great and you can't tell I bought it used. The motherboard, however, was defective from the get go.

AlienIsGOD says thanks.
  12. Melvis

Melvis

Thanks Received:
    Isnt it the same as just buying on ebay? like realy, its just a used item that someone has cleaned and tested, anyone can do that, or is there more to it? and most of my stuff is second hand, only had one item die on me.

13. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Refurbishment_(electronics)

Directly from the Wiki article: "Refurbished products cannot be sold as new products in the US, which is why they are relabeled as refurbished or refreshed units even if they are good-as-new (if, for example, the unit was returned for some reason unrelated to the product itself, such as the customer changing their mind about the color). Refurbished items may have scratches, dents or other forms of cosmetic damage which do not affect the performance of the unit.[citation needed] However, some refurbished goods are actually "rebranded" new products called newfurbs"

And "When the electronic goods such as TVs, home theater systems, computers and other electronics have been returned in an undamaged and fully functional condition and although they are still in a brand new condition, due to legal reasons they cannot be marketed or sold as new."

Norton says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  14. AlienIsGOD

AlienIsGOD

Thanks Received:
    I checked mine in Ventrilo and Skype and the audio is crystal clear on the other persons end :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  15. SnoopKatt

SnoopKatt

Thanks Received:
    I've never had a problem with refurbished products. I bought a nook for 65 dollars and it was just fine.

16. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
  17. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Newegg now calls items that have been returned but are functional "Open Box". Refurbished products on their site have actually had an issue and been returned to the manufacturer for repair, or the manufacturer has provided newegg with the products and told newegg they were refurbished.

On both of the ones that had the problem with me it was the headphone port, and it would only do it after I'd used it for a while, it wouldn't do it cold. I think it was the built in sound card overheating.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD