1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Regarding SSD and Raid

Discussion in 'Storage' started by xbonez, Dec 1, 2010.

1. xbonez New Member

Thanks Received:
    Couple of questions:

1. I recently purchased a HP Adaptec RAID Controller from ebay (got a great deal).
    Item: HP Adaptec 1420SA 4-Port SATA2 RAID Controller Card
    Any thoughts on this item?

I'm getting a great deal on two 40Gb Intel X25-V SSDs. Now, I know the Value series aren't the fastest SSDs, but I'm getting them for about 50 bucks each so its kinda tempting. Regarding this I have two more questions:
    2a) I read that running SSDs in RAID 0 disables TRIM. I'm going to use the array solely for windows, games and maybe some apps. Would the lack of TRIM mean major degradation of performance? I don't have any problems completely formatting and re-installing windows every 2-3 months.
    2b) I already run 2 x Samsung Spinpoints in RAID 0 using the Southbridge RAID controller on my motherboard (MSI 790FX-GD70). The RAID card has 4 SATA ports. Can I run two RAID 0 arrays on the same RAID card, or can you only have 1 array per controller?
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  2. Johnny87au

Johnny87au New Member

Thanks Received:
    You could run 2 raids on the same array but i wouldnt as performance wouldnt be at it's best.. As for the hp raid card i wouldnt bother using it, You'll realise that best performance using the 2x ssds will be from using your onboard raid controller.. As for TRIM im running 3x c300's and no degradation after 6 months..
    xbonez says thanks.