1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remote ‘Kill Switch’ Added to Intel’s Newest Processor.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MatTheCat, Dec 16, 2010.

1. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    For it to be disabled remotely the computer has to be connected in some way to a network, and I'm sure there are some pretty big hoops to jump through to disable it.

I'm guessing, as the artible mentioned, this is more for a laptop thing to disable the hardware if it is stolen. It isn't like Intel is just going to start disabling processors left and right just because they want to.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    I can see it now lol :laugh:

WTF! i just hit standby on my tv remote and now my cpu is dissabled???
  5. MatTheCat New Member

Thanks Received:
    No, but it gives them power t do so should they wish.

This is setting a dangerous precedent.

Fuck them. I am going to go for Bulldozer no matter what the benchmarks say. Sandy Brdige can GTF.
    Crusader says thanks.
  6. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    The FCC and the government in general (not just the US government, mind you) want the power to shut shit down - and this gives them that. They're already stealing domains without due process on "suspicions of piracy"...
    MadClown, MT Alex, Mussels and 2 others say thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Not really, they have to know some information about the hardware before they can send the kill signal, information that only the owner of the hardware would be able to provide. You don't want it disabled, don't tell intel the info.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  8. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    Not even.
    Device serial number is all they would need, and of course that the driver for the chipset in the OS was enabled to look for the kill bit.
  9. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Thats the first thing that came to my mind. What real purpose does this serve? Did we even ask for this, do we really even need this?

Same goes for Facebook facial recognition. I just don't see why we need it, but I can see why they would like to implement it.
    Nitro-Max says thanks.
  10. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Ive seen the usa going crazy over security just latley and over recent years, makes me wonder if all this wikileaks business is just another excuse for more internet controls taking away more online freedoms,
    Whats to stop them logging all this information prior to sale only to push a button a couple of years down the line, people would think their cpu just died and pay out for more upgrades.

I do this anyway lol but its besides the point, Still buying a 2600k cant resist the temptation :) .
  11. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    I support this feature for users who like to remotely turn on and off the computer. However, if other 3rd parties have this feature, and it is known to the public, I will simply not buy the processor, cause I am paranoid, as well as scared to death of the government.

I understand that some modern computers do in fact have a kill switch already, such as shown when Israel flew in planes under the Iranian radars, only to have the radars not fire on them, and mysteriously not work.
  12. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Please do tell us more. The only ones I've heard about are the ones selling pirated music and fake Prada handbags. And that was a lot more than "suspicions".

The COICA hasn't passed YET...
    http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=s111-3804
  13. Bigjohn

Bigjohn

Thanks Received:
    If they make it so that the driver is open sourced (a bad thing and a good thing - hackers could use it, for example, but companies could create a secured driver...) then it might be ok. As it stands, I'd not buy it.
  14. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    If anyone gets access to the driver who is not the governments, we are screwed? Why? How about a ransom virus that shuts down your computer unless you send someone money? Even if our governments get access we are in trouble, cause I am sure A WHOLE BUNCH of computers get shut down for piracy.
  15. THRiLL KiLL

THRiLL KiLL

Thanks Received:
  16. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I can only see this being enabled on the xeon variants and other VPRO business versions as it has been for a while now, this isn't new, its been a business feature, not worth worrying about right now.
  17. Steevo

Steevo

Thanks Received:
    wikileaks

Not illegal to publish, share, speach, freedom of expression, thought, ideas or otherwise by the first amendment in the US Constitution.

However the government put pressure on multiple financial institutions to hold up the money, to shut down the site, to arrest and detain, to label a terrorist and by some stange twist a traitor, of the US when not a citizen?
    10 Million points folded for TPU
  18. stevednmc

stevednmc New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not a traitor, but they are talking espionage. The person that stole the info,however is an american at the pentagon, in the army and is a traitor.Assange has the right to print it, but the person who gave him the info should be prosecuted. And yes, this coincides quite nicely with the internet regulation they are wanting to pass. Problem though is this: the FCC is voting on Dec 21 amongst themselves whether they will regulate the internet, without a bill from congress, who previosly voted it down, and without permission from the courts, who already ruled they could not do it. No matter what, they are gonna regulate the internet, whether we like it or not. They are simply going to deem themselves as having the power to do so, just like the EPA has deemed themselves to have the power to decide what gasses are harmful to the environment, with no oversight. Sorry a bit off topic..
    Bigjohn says thanks.
  19. hellrazor

hellrazor

Thanks Received:
    Makes me happy I've been using AMD for a while.
  20. AphexDreamer

AphexDreamer

Thanks Received:
    Intel is a big name very popular. Most people who don't know about computers probably have heard the name Intel versus AMD. Its not a big surprise intel would do this first.
  21. timta2

Thanks Received:
    Yeah that's one, and it's really debatable if that counts. It's actually a different topic.
  22. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Oh, it's like OnStar for computers (they can remotely turn off a stolen car and prevent it from starting). :/
    Crunching for Team TPU
  23. <<Onafets>>

<<Onafets>>

Thanks Received:
    Isn't this going to be a big security risk if someone cracks the MS network, which has happened on multiple occasions.
  24. PVTCaboose1337

Thanks Received:
    AMD does the same thing, don't think for a second they don't!
  25. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    I'd imagine production is well underway now. Doesn't it launch Q1? I doubt they'd scrap a few million procs.