1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

remote access software

Discussion in 'General Software' started by CUSACKOTG, Oct 8, 2006.

1. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey all,

I live in Thailand. My mate lives in Australia. I want some recommendations on some free (or trial ) remote access software to access his machine and fix his problems from here.

Finding it difficult to run thru. problems using skype so need direct access and not sure what is best given the range of prog. available.

cheers in advance

cusackotg

2. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    You already have one... Windows' "Remote Desktop Client"...

(Available @ MS if you need it, free download!)

Filename to search @ MS = MSRDPCLI.EXE

URL:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/tools/rdclientdl.mspx

"This software package can also be found on the Windows XP Professional and Windows XP Home Edition product CDs and can be installed on any supported Windows platform. To install from the CD, insert the disc into the target machine's CD-ROM drive, select Perform Additional Tasks, and then click Install Remote Desktop Connection."

:)

* You will have to allow it via Control Panel -> System Icon -> Remote Tab -> Bottom-groupbox "Remote Desktop"...

APK

P.S.=> I use this, quite a lot, when doing contracting work (or even full-time work), today!

Man... things have come a LONG ways in this area, it was touted then as "the office of the future", but imo, would put a LOT of middlemgt. out of work too... but, nowadays? This is starting to FINALLY happen!

I say this, because I set this up for BellSouth in 1996 for their workforce to work from home during the Olympics in Atlanta that year, using Citrix & "special" DELL laptops for it (Pentium 1, 133mhz w/ 32mb RAM - in those days? That was a HELL of a laptop)...

Finally! It took 10 years for it to really start 'taking', mainly lol imo, is because it probably makes it possible to start firing middle mgt. & save on coins/deadpresidents (per the 'beancounters' acc'ting/finance dept.'s worldwide)... apk

Last edited: Oct 8, 2006
  3. CUSACKOTG New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thank you for your quick reply- will get onto it right away using your advice

cheers

4. Alec§taar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
    No problem - you got lucky I guess, as to the "quick reply": Sunday a.m. is a good time to catch me online, lately @ least (very busy, but Sunday is largely online for me)...

APK

P.S.=> I had to edit the URL for download above, try it again... apk