1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Remote File transfer ?

Discussion in 'General Software' started by wolf2009, Oct 1, 2009.

1. wolf2009 Guest

What software can i use for remote file transfer between two PCs over the internet ?

Already tried Teamviewer - connection kept breaking on other end. Teamviewer was doing something funny.

Hamachi - created the network, didn't find a way to transfer the files.
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Setup an FTP server, Filezilla's server is free and easy to configure. Use the Filezilla client to transfer the files(or any other FTP client you prefer).
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2009
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    ^^ works fine.

Alternative,

1./ Use something like xlightftpd. Install and setup an account/password and access rights
    2./ Use DYNDNS.org to make sure the IP of your PC is always known
    3./ FTP to your PC from anywhere in the work using your account/password
  4. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hamachi + Windows built-in folder sharing (on the "server") + Windows built-in Network Drive Mounting (on the client)
  5. wolf2009 Guest

is there a guide for this stuff ?

I downloaded filezilla server and it gave me address as 127.0.0.1 and a port and i started it, then it sat sitting there. I didn't find an option to select what files to share nor a username options as filezilla client requires one to connect to a server.

Used xlight, started the server but only see 0.0.0.0. don't know what address to connect to from another computer and what ip to use as my pc is on a home network and has different ip than my external ip.
  6. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The 127.0.0.1 address and port is the information for the server admin interface to connect to to the server.

First you need to forward port 21 to whichever computer the server is running on.
    Then click the little button at the top of the admin interface that looks like a head. This will allow you to setup users, and designate a home directory and what files/folder each user has access to.

Then, from the other computer, you connect to your internet IP using the filezilla client. You can find what IP to connect to by going to www.whatismyip.com from the server PC.
  7. wolf2009 Guest

did everything else, just don't know how to do the above
  8. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    Do you know how to log into your router, assuming you have one, and forward ports? It is different depending on your router, but usually you can find how by googling your router model + port forwarding. Like: "WRT54G Port Forwarding".

Usually, you just type your routers IP address into a browser, type in the default username and password, which is different depending on your router, and then there should be a port fowarding page somewhere.
  9. wolf2009 Guest

what if i want to make a server on a public network like a hotel ? don't think i can port forward there.

what would be the alternative ?
  10. newtekie1

Thanks Received:
    The alternative would be to leave the server at home, and just use the client at the hotel.

I don't think there are any alternatives that would go through a hotel's firewall. However, some hotels do have the option of getting a public IP, so you wouldn't need to forward any ports.
  11. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    RealVNC Used it for years now with our dedi server with 0 issue's. Although to share files use a FTP client like FTP Wanderer and very simple to use but does not encrypt passwords though..

With Cerberus on the main system.
  12. everest New Member

Thanks Received:
    A simple solution is RAVE from www.randmsoft.com. I use it to transfer files and put files onto my home PC when I'm in a remote location. I also launch batch files (totally into media centre!). The program has various functionality and is quick to respond. It works on Windows OS.
  13. Lazzer408

Lazzer408

Thanks Received: