1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Removing FHS GB Windforce

Discussion in 'NVIDIA' started by thebluebumblebee, Mar 21, 2013.

1. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    I have a GTX 560 Ti that's overheating while Folding. It's in SLI in an ATCS 840 case with all of the 230 mm fans blowing in, but it will hit 100 C in about 5 minutes while Folding. :shadedshu

My question is, does the heat sink use any of the thermal pads that will get destroyed when I remove it? Do I need to get some of that first? I think the answer is no, but thought I'd ask first. Can't find a review where they took the cooler off.

Edit: found this: http://ht4u.net/reviews/2011/gigabyte_geforce_gtx560_ti_oc_gv_n560oc/index4.php
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2013
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Swap the fans blowing on the card to exhaust. With those types of HSF's for GPU's, having side panel fans as exhaust works much better. It allows the fans on top of the GPU to blow down on it and exhaust on the sides properly. It should help with your temps.
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  3. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    seems you answered your own question, looks like the cooler is core only with naked memory and a secondary heat sink for the power delivery system.
    thebluebumblebee says thanks.
  4. thebluebumblebee

thebluebumblebee

Thanks Received:
    That HUGE case has 1 230 mm in front and 2 of 'em on the top. The top ones were exhausting and I turned them around. Did not make a difference. There are no side fans.

The motherboard, a P7P55D-E Pro has a full slot gap between the 2 GPU's, but I can't keep the top one from overheating. I also have a p67-UD4 B3 with 2 822 MHz Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti's in an Antec 300 case with no cooling issues. Top card while Folding is at 66 C!

Yes, I have 2 sets of Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti's. 2 each GV-N560UD-1GI that run at 822 MHz and 2 each GV-N560OC-1GI that run at 900 MHz - the ones I'm having problems keeping cool.
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    IF you do pull the coolers, hold a razor blade on the area where the TIM was on the heat sink base. See if there isn't some sort of issue there possibly causing a lack of contact. Other than that, it seems that cooler should be able to take that sort of heat load.