1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Removing windows XP dual boot

Discussion in 'General Software' started by Snake05, Nov 3, 2007.

1. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, here's my situation. I had been running XP on my primary partition, and then Vista (mainly as a trial) on another partition. I just recently decided to stick with XP and format the other partition for all storage. I used Disk Management to do the format, but whenever my computer reboots, I still get the dual boot screen. How do I go about removing this dual boot screen? Or at least, how do I set my primary boot to XP if I can't remove it, so I don't always have to hit the arrow key up to "Previous Version of Windows" every time I boot?

2. Snake05

Snake05 New Member

Thanks Received:
    If it makes any difference, I had XP installed first, then installed Vista. Don't know if that changes the procedure and boot.ini file or not.

3. ex_reven New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dont you need to remove the whole partition? Rather than just format its contents.

If you cant be bothered, you can always just edit it out of your boot list so that it boots straight to vista, though that might lose you some of your hard drive space.

4. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    Boot to the XP cd's Recovery Console, and do a fixmbr.

If you're not comfortable with that, download VistaBootPro (it runs in XP as well), and you can use it to remove the Vista bootloader. It's free as well. http://www.vistabootpro.org/

5. oily_17

oily_17

Thanks Received:
    1. Boot your computer in to Windows XP.
    2. Ensure you have the Vista DVD in the DVD drive.
    3. Go to “Start” and “Run”. Type in :- d:\boot\bootsect.exe /nt52 ALL /force (replacing d: with the drive letter of your Vista DVD).
    4. Restart the computer, and you will notice the boot selection menu is gone.
    5. Format the partition/drive where you had Vista installed.
    6. Remove two files (Boot.BAK & Bootsect.BAK) on your XP drive’s root folder C:, these were backup files of your previous bootloader, now no longer useful.

6. X800

X800

Thanks Received:
    I han that broblem too and i did like oily 17 said but i did not help.I had my vista on C that was a ide drive and D for XP.I did allso have XP first installed.So had edit my BOOT.INI
    Like this
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(X)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(X)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /NOEXECUTE=OPTIN /FASTDETECT

X was 1 so i changed it 0 and the old xp was booting normal =)

7. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    Do this! It will fix the issue.

No offense to you Wile E, just backing you up and agreeing with you 110%.

8. Metalingus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Guys, I have two WinXP installed on the same partitions C: drive. The other WindowsXP is stored on the Windows2 folder... I installed a new copy of WinXP after I messed up my NTFS partition but that's a different story already... Now, what I'd like to focus on doing is to remove that Windows2 folder which is basically uninstall the 2nd WinXP installation. I hooked up a primary hard drive already and used that hard drive with two WinXP OS as a secondary hard drive.

*** NOTE : I do not want to reformat and clean install WinXP. I have lots of files to retrieve there.***

9. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    edit the boot.ini

10. Metalingus New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yah, I know that buddy!

Mind if you support your response and not just post a very commanding word ? :rolleyes:

I know I have to edit the boot.ini... what I'd like know is after that editing, can I delete the WINDOWS FOLDER and free up that space on my hard drive ?

Coz as far as I know, all the WINDOWS files will stay on your hard drive and you won't be able to delete all of it... even if you have already installed another WINDOWS OS on the same partition... or was my theory wrong ? :ohwell:

11. Yin

Yin

Thanks Received:
    well firstly make a back up....
    and then edit it by removing the window line u dont want
    this is what mine looks like
    [boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect /usepmtimer

ur 1 should look similar but it would have 2 entries instead of one
    post ur boot.ini and i'll show u