1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replace BIOS with different manufacture's BIOS (And Madison LP vs Pro)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by m16, Feb 3, 2013.

1. m16 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I have a Sony laptop, but since its a Sony I can't install any graphics drivers except for realllly old ones released by Sony (no Windows 8 support) or modded ones. And modded ones are a hit and miss.

What I want to do is replace the GPU BIOS with a new one, the questions I have is can a Madison LP BIOS be replaced with a Madison Pro BIOS and if not does anyone have a LP BIOS that can supports generic AMD drivers?

Here is a link to my original GPU BIOS if anyone wants to see it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/wldtc5l7xkjvqqg/1002_68c1.bin

Here is one I think I'd like to replace it with: https://www.dropbox.com/s/xn7866our9n4a8n/LEN.ROM

Here is the Original GPU BIOS info from RBE:
    Code:
    BIOS date/time: 03/16/10,18:46:
    BIOS version string: BR36874.001
    Reported chip type: MADISON
    Hardware specs string: Sony M980 Madison LP DDR3 64Mx16 600E/790M LVDS/VGA/HDMI 
    Copyright message: (C) 1988-2005, ATI Technologies Inc. 
    AtomBIOS version: ATOMBIOSBK-ATI VER012.020.000.013.036874

Thanks!

2. von kain New Member

Thanks Received:
    you could but i would recommend it.You have no idea if the mobo bios is registed with the gpu bios and after the update the gpu would change but the mobo bios might not start as it can't "see" your correct gpu.

3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

No ; the clocks do not match and the original bios has position 07 the Len.rom dose not have this also the [dev ID is wrong *never change this]. at best it will brick the lappy

atb

Law-II

4. wofy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Stick with the modded drivers, since Sony removed the Crisis recovery/Ami bootblock recovery(depending on your bios type). The only way to recover it if you fail is via SPI which is quite difficult.