1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacement drive - great service from WD

Discussion in 'Storage' started by qubit, Jul 5, 2010.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    My WD 750GB (750AAKS) died on me a little while back. It just wouldn't spin up any more (yes, the data was backed up). The bearing on that thing was always a little too noisy for comfort. Hey, guess I know why...

A week and a half ago, I looked up Western Digital's RMA procedures and booked the drive for a warranty replacement, following them exactly. I just had to give the drive, suitably packed, to their shipping company, Ceva, no charges, no paperwork to sign.

You know those little cardboard boxes with the soft foam you get drives in when bought online? Keep them and the antistatic bags, too.

Today, UPS delivers a brand new 1TB drive (WD1001FALS) !! So, I got great service and it didn't cost me a penny. :)

Of course it works just fine and now I can raid it with my other WD1001FALS drive if I want to. :D

Been buying WD for years and this is their first drive failure. Great warranty service. I'm glad that my faith in them was justified. :toast:
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yeah i had similar experience with them too, really great
  3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Never had to deal with an RMA from WD (Hope i never do too), but the products are great. Had Sammy and Seagates fail on me, but never had a WD fail on me or mates. Great drives / company.
  4. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hey, I gadda post how something went wrong, right? I mean threads going on about how well something went don't go anywhere! :laugh: Can you imagine a thriller like Die Hard where there are no terrorists and everyone's having a lovely time?! :eek:

But seriously, it's all good. As I said, I now have two identical drives in my PC. I imaged over the first drive onto the replacement drive and now have a mirror image backup that is copied onto with Karen's Replicator every day at midnight.

My 1.5TB GreenPower drive which was acting as a stand-in for the failed drive will now go into another PC connected over a LAN, which will act as a second mirror image backup of all my data. It's worth being paranoid when it comes to backups...

This is my old P4 Northwood 2.8 @ 3.5GHz on an Abit AI7 board (AGP, no less) that's gonna have Windows Server 2008 on it for learning on, Active Directory in particular. I'll be creating a roaming profile and using an AD login, so all my computers have the same desktop and it'll be really cool. :cool: