1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacing a HHD in an iMac

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Atnevon, Jun 5, 2009.

1. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Hello Everyone,

So one of my friends came to me the other day with a request to upgrade their HD in their iMac. Sounds reasonable.

Now, the tricky part is that I have not work on macs very much. From what I can tell, they use a 2.5 drive instead of a 3.5. Here is what I think I might get:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136278

Here is a trickier part, how do I make a copy of that drive, and put the OS and everything else on the new one, pop it in, and let em go? Well, how would you do that on a PC for that matter as well? Just a skill I never got to looking into.

Thanks for any help you can offer,
    -At

EDIT: They told me it was a G5 aged one. Not sure, but its of the previous generation.

2. farlex85

farlex85 New Member

Thanks Received:
    The tricky part to me would be trying to open the imac, especially if it is one of the later ones. I'm not real sure how you would even go about that. As for copying the data I'm always fond of starting fresh when possible, so I'd just re-install Mac OS X and whatever software he wants and move data files over after backing up on a external or something. If you want though you can use various disc imaging software to make a complete image, such as Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. You may need special mac versions of this software to make sure it will handle HFS+.

Atnevon says thanks.
  3. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Atnevon says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  4. Atnevon

Atnevon

Thanks Received:
    Thank ya'll for the replies. That guide made it pretty easy to get an idea of what is coming to me. Now would there be any instance this could be a 2.5 drive, instead of a 3.5? I just want to make sure before we order one drive, and have it turn out to be another.

(tugs throat)

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I haven't come across a G5 iMac that didn't use a 3.5" drive, in fact I think even some of the Intel iMacs use 3.5" drives, if not all of them.

Of course, you can always pull the computer apart before ordering the drive just to make sure.

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU