1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacing cooling fan on a BFG 7900gs

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by Paulieg, Mar 21, 2007.

1. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    The fan on my BFG 7900gs is noisy, and the cooling is not great. I'm looking at replacing the fan on this. I've done quite a bit of building systems and mods, but I've never replaced a gpu cooler. I've heard some horror stories of people destroying their cards when removing/replacing the cooling. Can anyone offer advice on the steps needed to make sure I don't destroy the card? Also, what are some reasonably price cooling solutions that will work for this card?

2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835110015

I put that on my 7900GTs, it was very easy to install if you follow the directions. I did it on both my cards in about half an hour, that includes pulling both cards from my cramped case, removing the old heatsinks, putting the new on, and putting them back in and running some tests.

Honesly, there are coolers out there that cool the graphics cards slightly better, however I bought these because at the time they were the only ones that exhausted out out the back of the case, and that actually lowered my CPU temps a good 5C under load(both graphical load and CPU load).

They are very quiet, but they don't have speed control, so they run full speed all the time, that is really the only down side to this cooler.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  3. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    That is one of two coolers I'm looking at. The other one is a Evercool Turbo 2 dual heat pipe. Both cooler have some very good reviews, and are reasonably priced. The only downside to the evercool is there is no exhaust, but my case has very good airflow, so I'm not too worried about it. There may be a few cooler which will give you slightly better cooling, but another $20 for 2-3 degree drop seems ridiculous to me. It would seem that a proper install with AS5 paste will make up the difference in temperature.

4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    Hey Paulieg

I would recommend VF900cu's I have had 4 of the things on all my cards and they are really good. Piece o piss to install and cool nicely with little to no noise!! I hear the thermalright 120's are good too but a lot more expensive than the zalmans