1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Replacing my Boot SSD, what about the data on my storage HDD?

Discussion in 'Storage' started by hawk767, Nov 18, 2013.

1. hawk767

hawk767

Thanks Received:
    I've got a small 64gb Samsung SSD with windows on it that I'm looking to replace soon, along with my mobo. I've also got my original 1tb HDD that I plan to replace eventually but I use for pretty much everything besides my OS.

The new SSD will hold my OS + all of my drivers so all of the system necessities while my HDD will hold games, media, etc.

My problem is that I have extremely slow internet and do a lot of gaming. Wiping my HDD would leave me redownloading everything for months.

If I replace my SSD, reinstall windows on the new one, then hook it all up to the new mobo, will the data on my HDD be able to stay in tact or will I have to wipe it as well. This would solely be a storage drive and not part of a raid configuration so I hope that would prevent me from needing to wipe it.

I've not tinkered with multiple drive setups when it comes to reformatting my system so I don't know what the outcome will be and would rather not just dive into it without being sure my data won't need to be wiped.

**As a Side question, once I have the new SSD + another HDD, currently deciding on which to get (gaming, speed, and size important) should I configure them into a raid setup? Again something that I'd researched but don't fully understand.**

Thanks!
  2. tigger

tigger I'm the only one

Thanks Received:
    The data on your HDD will be fine, unless you format it. Windows will only install were you tell it too and will not touch the other drive. Sometimes it is best to un plug other drives, reinstall on the SSD and then reconnect the other drive/s
  3. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Yep. during the install absolutely :rockout:
  4. hawk767

hawk767

Thanks Received:

Alright I'll be sure to do that. Appreciate the quick replies.
  5. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    This is really only because Windows will attempt to write some boot files to the other drives that are not the Local C: drive. Best to disconnect all other drives but your primary, so nothing is written to the other drives.

Found this out the hard way when I was doing a new build, kept my all drives plugged in, installed windows on the primary, but once finished tried to format the others and it wouldn't let me as it said that they are in use by windows or something along those lines, and it created a weird dual boot thing. Every time id boot it would take me to a boot menu with 2 of the same Windows OSs. Both of which, IIRC, took me to the same windows install.
  6. zeepkist

zeepkist

Thanks Received:
    well, you have had all the good advice already.
    and indeed get your new motherboard and ssd and do a nice clean install and only after connect your hdd.

so keep your computer case open have all the cables for hdd electricity and sata connections ready but not yet connected. do not get rid of your old hdd if and when you have the money to replace it, keep it in your computer case as second hdd and use it for putting your backup on. or keep the one you have now and get an other one for backup.

i would not advice to start with raid now, get the hang of two hard drives and good backup practice first. if you want to be super sure you could make another copy on an external hdd. up to you.
    you can use a backup software Macrium Reflect is a good free one. i gave you a link to filehippo.com which is a trustworthy website for free software.

filehippo is a good address to download your other software from, like firefox, libreoffice, foxit pdf reader and do remember spyware blaster and crapcleaner while you are at it.
    store it all on a usb stick and when you have done your windows install stick all the other software on your new sdd as well.

i run a samsung 840 evo 120gb which is plenty big enough. you might consider putting all you personal files like my documents, my music, my videos ect on your hdd here is an article explaining how to do it.
    and another one.
    do remember to create a new folder first on your hdd where you want your "my documents "to go. and again a new folder on your hdd for "my music" and so on.

that way your sdd stays light and works quickly.

but do make a copy of all your folders from your hdd to another hdd. really important.
    have fun.