• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Requesting Minor Help flashing 5850s with RBE

System Name Something Esoteric 2
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B650-Plus
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360MM AIO
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC 24GB
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 2 x Dell S2721DGF IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung Buds2 Pro, SteelSeries Siberia 800
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P3 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 11 Pro
Good day all,

As you know, I have a pair of Sapphire 5850s in CFX. Recently I've been monitoring the clocks while I do certain things like watch HD youtube, 720p and 1080p h.264 mkv content, play games and et cetera, and I've noticed a few anomalies due to AMDs botched 1st attempt at PowerPlay. So I've decided to flash the BIOS on both cards to always be at stock clocks (725/1000/1.088v) in every power and clock state.

My situation is as follows:

• I've got RBE v1.28 and WinFlash 2.0.1.14 downloaded and the 'Pure' BIOS from both cards backed up.
  • Under the Clock Settings area of RBE, I have "VTT registers" grayed out, but "GPU registers" is clickable.
  • Not interested in Overclocking at the moment, but might test the waters later.

What I'm looking for is general flashing advice from within Windows using RBE/WinFlash only (I have my reasons) and a clarification on the voltage register re-programming mentioned in the outdated tutorial for my cards.

Again, I want to do this without even opening my case or without disconnecting one of the cards. I'm aware of the risks but I'm not doing anything exotic and can tell the difference between my cards in WinFlash so I don't want to muck about with bootable disks and so forth. So, from the top:

1. My understanding is I can freely change the clocks in all states to 725/1000 but that I shouldn't change the voltages in the tables. Is this correct for 5800 series cards?
  2. The tutorial linked above makes mention of the VTT registers being modified, while I only have GPU registers available. It opens a voltage window very similar to the VTT registers shown in the image. Is this the correct place to change the voltages for 5800 series cards?
  3. CrossFireX is currently On. Should I turn it Off (and restart of course) before I flash the Linked adapter or does it not matter. Also, what order if any should I flash the cards in: Primary->Linked or Linked->Primary?
  4. Are there any display anomalies I should expect when flashing the BIOS of a currently active card using RBE/WinFlash within Windows. In other words, when I flash the BIOS of the card that's pushing to my monitor, what will I see and what should I do if something odd happens, like the monitor going blank?
  5. Once the flashing is complete, will I be able to use the driver based OverDrive feature of the official drivers, or can I never touch that again due to my modified baseline BIOS clock levels?

Thanks for the help guys. Cheers.

System Name Something Esoteric 2
Processor Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS Prime B650-Plus
Cooling Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360MM AIO
Memory 64GB Corsair Vengeance 6000Mhz DDR5
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus RTX 3090 OC 24GB
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB NVMe
Display(s) 2 x Dell S2721DGF IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Samsung Buds2 Pro, SteelSeries Siberia 800
Power Supply EVGA 1200W P3 80+ Platinum
Mouse Logitech G903
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X6
Software Windows 11 Pro
Hey guys,

I let this marinate for a while hoping that a response or two might arrive, but its starting to grow mould so I'll re-heat it one last time before calling it quits.

Does anyone have any advice regarding what I asked for above?

Cheers.

summersend

Im using winflash.Updated my card asus g73jh with it.I had 2 5850,s in cf and winflash will ask which card u want to flash ,and that was years ago.It was usually 0-1- somn like that but it's a very stable way to do it.I see some people fail with a usb stick in dos?.THX my lucky stars i guess.Anywho both cards shoud show?U click the one u wanna flash.If i forgot somn please pipe in here.In no way do u wanna flash unless ur sure;-)Ulnike me i flash everything.B careful wait for another reply but winflash is rock solid if u have the right one.

Forgot to add.Hope u tested these cards at these speeds while gamming or ur gonna be blindflashing with a usb stick(
Actually u dont have to blind flash nowadays either if you use atiflash.exe

Last edited: