1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Resistor fell off Graphics Card

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by BlackZero, Sep 22, 2012.

1. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Capacitor fell off Graphics Card

I have had a long running issue with my Radeon HD 6950 showing glitched temperature readings at times, so I was going through the water cooling connections/Block setup when it seems one of the attached components came off of the PCB. I had a closer look and it seems to have been originally glued on or such as the bottom part had a plastic casing that attached to the PCB with two connectors that come through the bottom casing. Seemed like an easy fix.

In any case I thought I'd see if the PC comes on first, as it's water cooled, and I would only really want to take it all apart as a last resort. To my surprise it came on straight away and I am in fact making this post using it. I am now considering leaving it off if everything is functioning correctly. Though as I am unable to identify the component I am also not sure of it's importance.

The component reads 'K001 100 16v' on it's upper side and has a blue side marking. Here's an image of the PCB with the detached component highlighted.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    its a capacitor. shouldnt be much of an issue.

its a 100uF(micro farad) 16Volt capacitor.

anyways you can get a replacement from the market and solder it on. but i suggest you have someone more capable do it.

BlackZero says thanks.
  3. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    It's a capacitor, and might be connected in parallel to the adjacent one on the same circuit. Not having the capacitor there may cause more ripple on that circuit which could reduce the lifespan of the components. Would I be too worried about it? Probably not. The engineers place over-rated capacitors on components to address capacitor degradation, so if there is another one on that circuit the card might be fine for a while, or even a long time.

BlackZero says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  4. redeye

redeye

Thanks Received:
    dont worry... the fact it fell off means that it was not installed correctly at the factory (that is if you didn't break it off...)

kinda a pain cause it sounds like you could have RMA'd it due to manufacturing fault... if the card is still in warranty.. try a RMA... can't hurt... they will tell you if if will cost you... but you might get a new card out of it, for shipping.

BlackZero says thanks.
  5. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the clarification. Not too accustomed to electronic repairs so probably will leave it to someone more experienced. It doesn't seem to be broken as such, just seems to have come off as the connectors are visible and in good shape from what I can tell.

Thank you for the detailed response.

I am assuming from the responses that I could possibly leave it for now and perhaps consider having the capacitor put back on when I next remove the card?

I would say it fell off due to fault on my part, as I possibly accidentally knocked it off. The cleanliness of the break does suggest, at least to me, that it might have been not connected that well in the first place though. Also my card is water cooled and unfortunately the card's manufacturer (XFX) doesn't provide warranty after heatsink removal.

6. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    You have an electronics repair shop where you live? Where they service TV's and stuff? They can put it back in a jiffy (probably).

BlackZero says thanks.
  7. largon

Thanks Received:
    It's a ripple filter capacitor filtering the input 12V of the vDDCI VRM that feeds the GPU's memory controller. That cap is parallel to the cap marked as "C916". Card works fine without it, but your GPU's memory controller is getting dirtier power if it's not connected.

This is easy to repair for someone who has the equipment and knows what he's doing. Any electronics repair shop can put it back in a few mins for you for pocket change.

BlackZero and Frick say thanks.
  8. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    i wouldnt worry much if you already have a good Power supply. the good power supplies filter out a lot of the nipple.

BlackZero says thanks.
  9. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    They do actually provide a warranty if you use watercooling, however you have to contact them and get approval to remove the heatsink and use watercooling so they can make a note in your account that you have removed the heatsink.

There warranty coverage can be found here: http://xfxforce.com/en-us/help/support/warrantyinformation.aspx

And the important part is:

However, the problem is that I've heard they won't cover components falling off if the heatsink has been removed. They assume that is user error and the component fell of due to the user removing the heatsink.

I know this doesn't really help with the cap falling off, but I just wanted to let you know for future reference that XFX does actually support removing the heatsink.

BlackZero says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  10. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    None that I can think of in close proximity, and none that I know to trust. I will have to ask around I suppose.

Thank you for detailed response. I'm assuming dirtier power means the controller may be less stable?

Thanks. I have one of the better power supplies (AX850). This was very helpful. :)

Thanks for the detailed response. I did in fact contact XFX when I first put the water block on but they refused to honour the warranty if the original heatsink was removed. Perhaps they are more lenient in north America.

11. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    just realies i have a typo in my last post. but i will leave it there for the lulz

also glad to be of help :)

BlackZero and Maban say thanks.
  12. BlackZero

BlackZero New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't even notice the typo until you pointed it out. :laugh:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    de.das.dude says thanks.
  13. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    I would have got it soldered and fixed before powering it on.
    Sometimes, popped out or faulty capacitors can take out MOSFETs. Some MOSFETs and even ICs have very small ripple tolerance and that ripple can damage them. I remember my Philips radio sound driver IC was fried as a capacitor connecting to it was bulged out and obviously out of service. So I suggest you better fix it and then reconnect the card.

BlackZero says thanks.
  14. de.das.dude

Thanks Received:
    that is different leaking capacitors often short circuits and cause high currents.

BlackZero says thanks.
  15. Pehla

Pehla

Thanks Received:
    any tv mechanic shop can fix that in sec!!! i had broken elektrolite on my hd 6950 and the part was so small that mechanic needed to use (biiig thing that makes part bee seen biger) :)
    and he just replace it in 1 minute!! done ...dont play with ur card if that part is not fixed!

16. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    What!? Filters out the nipple? Well I guess I'm throwing in my old POS power supply for the Pr0nz :roll:

Seriously though, very informative thread this one. Nice to know that some components on a GPU aren't critical if you have a good PSU.

and yea... any TV repair shop should be able to fix that no prob.

de.das.dude says thanks.
    More than 25k PPD