1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Retail Versus Oem Cpu's

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Tatty_One, Mar 2, 2008.

1. Tatty_One

Tatty_One Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all,

I have read a fair amount of stuff on other forums on this topic and would welcome any thoughts you all might have on the subject. Many overclockers beleive that you are likely to get a better binned/lower Vid chip if you buy retail, most seem to back their thoughts up on this by saying that manufacturers need to ensure that the temps dont get too hot with their sometimes fairly inadequate stock coolers (plus it allows them to keep the quality/price of the stock cooler to a mimimum) by putting better binned, lower Vid chips in the retail package.

Manufacturers know that many who buy OEM chips are going to be using better quality aftermarket cooling solutions therefore they are less concerned about the heat and therefore the quality of the chip. I should mention also that some of these people think that it is only Intel that do this.......but lets please keep this to just "CPU's" and not go down the Intel/AMD route!

I am not suggesting that I support this idea, I would just welcome your views.

2. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i have never had an issue going between retail/OEM

the only thing i would see to really support this is less heat=longer chip life and since when you buy retail you get a 3yr warranty it would make since to ship lower FID chips

3. ghost101

ghost101 New Member

Thanks Received:
    There is no difference. Besides OEM manufacturers dont tend to use expensive coolers.

If you rhink system builders like you and I represent the bulk of the OEM market, you are very mistaken.

4. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I dont think anything, if you read the post, I was referring to other peoples thoughts....not my own, there just seems to be a lot of people who think otherwise.......whether they are right or not is why I posted this.

5. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    maybe we shoild have w1z order 100 of each and we will test each one and find out :roll:

6. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke

Thanks Received:
    AFAIK, the only difference is Retail CPU's come with a cooler. OEM CPU's are just the chip.

7. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    I find this quite thought provoking and it leads me to believe this could valid possibility, perhaps this could just be scaremongering but knowing how these companies work it certainly does leave doubt in my mind.

8. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I tend to buy OEM, mainly because I have no use for a 3 year warranty (I break it within hours of getting new stuff) and I have my own cooling (won't touch stock).

So the money saved can go on something else, although it's generally nothing more than £2-5, but even so.

9. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    I can only say in my expereince with like for like chips that I have found retail chips to overclock better but TBH thats probably just coinsidence as half a dozen chips is hardly a trend.

10. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the oem chip is intended for box makers.. not enthusiasts.. box makers use crap coolers.. least thats what i have always assumed with any oem product.. not intended for retail channels..

but apart for the price.. bits and bobs u get with them and the guarantee i think they are the same product.. mostly.. he he

trog

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i tend to agree that they are the same..i buy OEM simply beause i already have a cooler and as was said b4 3 or so hours after i get the chip any chance of returning under warrenty is gone...that and its cheaper...and in my experiance with OEM and retail CPU's they dont clock much diff at all...1 might clock like 200mhz or less than another of the same type but i dont necissarily think thats because its OEM or retail simply batch and silicon.

12. twicksisted

twicksisted

Thanks Received:
    I have never had an issue with OEM chips personally and have never given it much thought... personally it was always about it being cheaper to get OEM & aftermarket cooler than buying retail.

13. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Dont be so grumpy u old fart! ;)

14. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Was born grumpy..........and old! :D did I sound grumpy there?....didnt mean to :twitch: ................if I did......apologies Ghost!

15. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    of course, the other thing could be that they dont have to worry too much about the quality of OEM chips if the warranty is so short? Where as 3 years limited with the retail version means they need to ensure reliability......just thinking out loud, not suggesting that is the case.

16. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Coincidende or not the best overclocking CPU's I've gotten have been OEM. I doubt there is a difference.

17. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    hehe i posted that already

18. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've had several of both retail and OEM chips, and I've never noticed any sort of trend. I've had good week/batch of OEMs that have been awesome, and the same with retail.

19. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Ive never really had an issue with OEM chips - I bought a cheap AMD A64 3000+ Venice a while back & that managed to overclock like monkey nuts. Sadly the mobo's i used to overclock the CPU were a bit iffy on the overclocking side so it either the bios was completely screwd or the settings werent clear enough. still managed to get the 3000+ running at 2.7Ghz. woulda been a lot higher if i actually had a good mobo back then but i was low on cash.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2008
  20. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    yeah you did didnt ya :ohwell:

21. trog100 New Member

Thanks Received:
    the oem dudes that buy them do and they aint gonna tolerate crap.. so i recon that piece of brain storming can be binned.. he he

trog

22. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    So basically the majority feel there is no difference and it's very much the luck of the draw as to whether you get a well binned and good overclocking chip....thanks.

23. Tatty_One

Thanks Received:
    Yep but I was wondering, why would a system builder not buy a retail if they got a cooler with it, they would only have to source one from somewhere else and TBH you can get some retails for very little extra.......unless it is bulk of course.....too much courier/shipping space taken up by retail boxes.

24. cdawall where the hell are my stars

Thanks Received:
    i tend to buy more retail cause then i can get the 3yr warranty on the chips and whether or not it explodes do to oc'ing is another thing. not to mention there is rarely a price difference at all in fact most of the chips i have gotten the retail was cheaper than the OEM

25. imperialreign

imperialreign New Member

Thanks Received:
    TBH - I can't really see there being much of a true hardware difference between OEM and retail components,

basing off the fact that it would require more manpower and lead to a longer overall production time for component testing, etc, and then sorting components based on their final performance . . . the cost of the final product would be way too high which will turn both consumers and OEM's away.