1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reversible USB - Type C

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by HossHuge, Aug 8, 2014.

1. HossHuge

HossHuge

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Time for a new case?

http://www.theverge.com/2014/4/2/5573680/first-images-of-the-reversible-usb-cable

2. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    A friend spoke about this some time ago, and he was SUPER excited about how you can plug them in any way. I never understood that excitement really.

3. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    I wonder if there will be Type-A to Type-C and Type-B to Type-C cables. If there is, great. If there isn't, it might as well be a different name for the Lightning connector and it will go the way of Betamax.

I never liked how USB 3's four additional pins were superimposed on the USB 2 connector. Yeah, it is backwards compatible but something has to be said about the costs.

HossHuge and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    WOW, to think USB was on computers back in the 90's and how long it took to actually make it available and the fact they did not think of this then lol. I guess it just another way to make a few extra $ of people.

5. cheesy999

Thanks Received:
    The original usb connector was not reversible to make it cheaper, as they thought a cheaper design would make it more popular

They were correct

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  6. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    Riiight.

7. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    As we go thru the time tunnel people are getting stupider and even more lazy, now a polarity interpreter chip has to be implemented Which costs the customer more...

Chevalr1c says thanks.
  8. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yup, look at the wild success of Thunderbolt. Its controller is very expensive so implementation is isolated to very expensive motherboards and Apple products.

cheesy999 and Chevalr1c say thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Isn't that because USB is more open or something though?

I mean this would be neat and eventually it might be as ubiquitous as what we have now is, but it will be a couple of years with adapter galore, not least because flash drives tend to last a long time, and replacing a perfectly fine USB 3.0 16GB flash drive is dumb.

10. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    not-so-secret-secret-sauce

Cables for Thunderbolt are much, much more expensive.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
    Frick says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    Because sticking in an USB connector is such a difficult task... I've been doing it blindly for my phone for ages (microUSB) and don't really recall massive problems with normal sized ones either.

The thing is, USB is so successful because it's truly universal. No matter what device you have, even ancient USB 1.x device, it will work. But if you break this standard now, you're effectively rendering 98% of devices useless. You're facing exactly the same issue as the x86 standard. Sure it's old and all, but you can run anything from 20 years ago on it and also moderd stuff.

And it's also the reason why none of the new "faster" and "better" standards are so widely accepted. Hell, look even at USB 3.0. Considering its age it's really poorly accepted standard, because even brand new devices still come with only USB 2.0 and one would expect that every current new device will use USB 3.0 and nothing else.

12. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    They could use two retractable connector plates within USB connector, where always only one can retract and "move away" from the other side connector. This way you can keep the compatibility and also make it reversible. However it makes the retractable connector a bit more prone to mechanical failure and of course a bit more complex. But it would be reversible and backward compatible.

13. eidairaman1

eidairaman1

Thanks Received:
    It would make it bulkier too

14. xLDKx NewYorker

xLDKx NewYorker

Thanks Received:
    How lazy are people getting? It's sad that you can be just moderately intelligent and still be smarter than most people now a days.... HurrDurr wer3 d0e5 My co/2d g0?!?9?q?
    I've thought about this before, and i think it's useless because your implementing a new standard... If we move past USB might as well move past x86 to a new Arch