1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, Jun 2, 2012.

1. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
  2. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    yay more effects so we can have even worse gameplay

3. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Very cool tech demo. and very accurate looking damage.
    The only thing that looked wrong was the jump. Front end of the truck should have landed first given engine weight, speed and ramp angle.

4. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    This would be so fucking awsome if they did it in GTA or any driving game for that matter! But since its crytek I have to agree with w1z =(

5. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Would be awesome in the new Timesplitters game they are developing...

Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  6. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Except that it has nothing to do with Crysis :p Just happens to be using the same engine.

7. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    Kinda cool but it didn't look like the car had any weight. :p

8. LDNL

LDNL

Thanks Received:
    Even if its not made by crytek, the engine is theirs and wont be long before they hire or buy out these guys. Theres alot of potential in this but its still on the wrong engine :)

9. Widjaja

Widjaja

Thanks Received:
    Can see CodeMasters Racing saying "We must buy these guys out"

10. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    It's open source, odds are it's a lot of people working on this. And if they hire out people who haven't been working on the game, those people would just add to whats already there, rather than putting more work on the plates of people who have already been working on the games so they have to skimp in other areas.

11. W1zzard

W1zzard Administrator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    which good games have you seen based on cryengine ?

Aquinus and de.das.dude say thanks.
  12. Jegergrim

Jegergrim New Member

Thanks Received:
    This is pretty interesting, but looking at it realistically, will real time physics even be implemented in our near future, due to hardware limitations, or doesnt it require that much extra in processing power? :/

13. brandonwh64

brandonwh64 Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!

Thanks Received:
    I must admit this is awesome but as w1z said, this will tax our systems more and more to render all the details that make up the models but hey I see this being more fuel to flame the GPU manufacturers to make cards to power this technology and make them affordable.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    The better question is, how many games have actually used the Cryengine, and how many different studio's have used said engine? It's mostly Crytek and Ubisoft and all of Ubisofts titles are for consoles. So it seems to be more an issue of developers than an issue with the engine that you are having.

But go ahead, blame the engine for developers spending too little time on gameplay.

15. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    i side with W1zz. Crysis sucks. i hate the gameplay. its boring.

that video reminded me of Flatout 2

16. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
    Doomdarks Revenge. (If you don't know it - you're too young).

j/k

17. Frick

Frick Fishfaced Nincompoop

Thanks Received:
    I think Far Cry and Crysis are the main contenders here. I wasn't a big fan of either of them but I think they fall under the "good" category. Even Crysis 2 does that imo.

18. 1Kurgan1

Thanks Received:
    Once again, this video isn't for Crysis /facepalm

19. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Unfortunately they are not developing a new Timesplitters. I read somewhere something recently about Crytek denying being developing a new one, i hope i'm wrong though.

20. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    1) Real time physics is possible, the question is what is the scale, and how detailed are the models. IE, it is possible to have real physics applied to what is assumed to be a non-deformable body and later add in simulated damage. While not immensely accurate, it doesn't tax developer resources and keeps the dev team focused on game play.

2) Who cares? Real time physics in Cryengine. The same team that brought us ice spewing giant aliens is going to try to make realistic damage, while still neglecting story and basic mechanics. Oh yeah, this is going to turn out just peachy...

3) Where's the elastic deformation? I see plenty of plastic deformation during crashes, but no elastic deformation (hood, front grill, etc...). While a pretty tech demo, this isn't exactly going to win awards for its accuracy.

4) What is the point? Ubisoft has made it crystal clear that the PC is not where they are going to focus any effort. A current generation console hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell of actually rendering this. All of this begs the question, who wants this and why. What point does a pretty physics simulation have when it can't actually be realized.

So, I don't get it. Is this another excuse to forget about game play? Perhaps a nice demonstration for a grant proposal to study automotive collisions without actually wrecking cars? Maybe this is the old Crysis developers are focusing their time, after nearly committing mass suicide after experiencing the single person campaign of Crysis 2.

21. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    But this is not from Crytek, as far as i know it happens to use Cryengine 3. I agree that until we see some practical use for this, it's nothing more than a tech demo, maybe a destruction derby game:rockout:

1Kurgan1 says thanks.
  22. zsolt_93

Thanks Received:
    Uhm.. it's from the guys from here:http://www.rigsofrods.com/content/
    They have been developing a real time simulation game for quite a while, based on the ogre 3d engine completely free and open source. So no big company between the devs. Form their forums this cryengine demo seems to be of a new game based on the same principles yet better optimized because of the more mature engine, whilst the original Rigs of Rods simulation is very cpu limited, as its only 2 cores aware and graphically it's not taxing the video card hard at all.
    This might as well gat canceled as there is noone to sponsor such a project, as there are very few clients for such a program compared to arcade style games and probably they won't be able to use the cryengine for free if they want to make something more serious and release it as a complete game.

23. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    It's nice, but unfortunately i'm not so impressed. Why? Because i've seen all this back in 1998. Viper Racing and Carmageddon 2. Full dynamic real-time model deformation. Sure it doesn't look as good as this, after all it's 14 years in between and quite some difference in hardware performance, but in the essence, i've seen everything the same back then. Just with a bit less polygons.

Jumping with Viper over the bumps and you could ram wheels through the hood. Head on collisions caused car to bend and if you drifted it precisely you could wrap it around the powerline pole.

Carmageddon wasn't that realistic with immediate total damage but instead compensated with slower model deformation, but it had bits falling off which was incredible for the time. ALso landing a car on the roof smashed it realistically and by hitting a car in the corner you could split it in half.

24. BarbaricSoul

BarbaricSoul

Thanks Received:
    Mechwarrior:Online is being made on cryengine3

Vulpesveritas says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  25. D4S4

D4S4

Thanks Received:
    physics engine was one of the things i absolutely loved about hl2. it's all here and would bring another level of realism to the games but nobody gives a flying fuck because you can still sell a load of bs like cod for billions.

i am waiting for decent games where you can realistically blow up stuff to upgrade my pc, there wasn't a single shooter in last 5 years that made me think man, i have to get me a new gfx card, never mind the entire rig.

and wtf happened to physix? when PPU was first announced i was happy like a little baby and it all boiled down to some crappy eye candy you could do on then current gpus. :shadedshu