1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Revolutionary soft-body physics in CryEngine3

Discussion in 'Games' started by 1nf3rn0x, Jun 2, 2012.

1. RejZoR

RejZoR

Thanks Received:
    If PhysX was "open" standard like Direct3D is, we could have 100 times the physics realism we used to have before PPU's. But since NVIDIA wanted it for themself, we remained at the year 2001 era. That is, ragdolls and nothing else.
  2. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Being as it seemed to be primarily a body motion/damage demo, I doubt they'd even slapped an engine with appropriate weight parameters in the vehicle.
  3. Mindweaver

Mindweaver Moderato®™ Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    WOW! I didn't know the Xbox 360 was so powerful! Of course this could be the PS3 with it legendary graphics! [/sarcasm] I hope they port this to PC so we can download it! :roll:
    Crunching for Team TPU
  4. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's nice to find at least one other person know isn't just spewing out info about how much Crysis and the Crytek team suck and how this will make their games worse. And someone that actually realizes this is another group of people who just happen to be using the engine. but I think this thread is doomed, just more posts piling in of people saying this will make Crysis worse :rolleyes:
    robn says thanks.
  5. 1nf3rn0x

1nf3rn0x

Thanks Received:
    The vid in no shape or form is affiliated with crysis. Its just made on cryengine 3 which just happens to be used by crysis 2!
  6. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    hey guys.. Guess what? cryengine 3 was built for consoles.... *facepalm*.. Who cares if these guys are not affiliated with crytek? They are using a console engine that can scale up for pc. DX11 wasn't supported until later down the road and when they did put it in.. It was gimmicky at best. I'm not saying it's a bad engine.. I'm just saying it was built with old tech in mind. Hints why I said XBOX 360 and PS3... and said Download, because almost every PC game maker pigeon holds us that way. :banghead:

EDIT: And W1z is right. There's a reason they didn't show the demo with textures, shadows and lights, because it would run like shit...
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  7. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    There's nothing old tech about CryENGINE 3. it's a common misconception. The differences between Cry 2 and the original are based on the need to scale textures across multi platforms. Whenever multi platform development comes into play, a decision has to be made. Make two sets of textures, or scale cross platform by making one set, and compressing them for consoles. Graphics textures can only be compressed so much.

Making two complete sets of textures takes more time and money, which most dev teams aren't willing to do any more given that the PC platform only garners 20% of overall sales at best. There's been an enhanced texture mod made for Crysis 2 which makes it look quite outstanding. Like I said, the differences between Crysis and Crysis 2 are more of a marketing demographic decision than a tech limitation of the engine.
  8. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Guess what, probably almost every game you play is on an engine doing the samething, and almost all of those games are a less capable engine .... 1!!!11 :)

That game isn't about graphics, go actually do some research, it's just a sim game, and it's open source, these people aren't making money this is just something they are doing as a hobby, if you can do better, post it up so we can belittle your hobby :p
  9. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Guys don't be harsh just because they used Cryengine 3, i like what they have done. This guys out of nowhere came up with this. Don't bitch about tech demos not being applied in games, bitch about devs and publishers that don't push the graphics/gameplay, bitch about CoD devs saying the engine is perfectly fine, devs/publishers with tons of cash that have the resources to applies this kind of tech to their games, but they don't. At least we can see what we are missing and bitch about it.
    Lionheart says thanks.
  10. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the DX11 implementation worked great, it was whoever ported it to the game that did a terribad job. some website did tests on the tesselation and found out that most of it wasnt visible, and water was being rendered way under the game maps in such a way that nvidia cards took less of a hit than AMD (cough, wonder how that mistake came past cough).

In other words, the engine itself has great DX11 capabilities - it was just used poorly in crysis 2. the next game to use the engine should be great, and run heaps better.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  11. random

random

Thanks Received:
    I wanna see this in a dismembering scenario lol
  12. pantherx12

pantherx12 New Member

Thanks Received:
    They should offer people this little sand box area for a dollar to fund there further research.

I could have hours of fun!
  13. Over_Lord

Over_Lord News Editor

Thanks Received:

You're talking about Crysis 2 actually.

CE3 was build for scalability, with both PC and NEXT-GEN consoles being the primary focus.

And CE3 had DX11 since day 1. Crysis 2, well that was sad.
    Mindweaver says thanks.
  14. Mindweaver

Thanks Received:
    What's with the personal attack! :p j/k Man are you ok? Do you work for them?..hehehe :roll: "probably almost every game you play is on an engine doing the samething"... Err guess what this thread isn't on probably almost every game... *facepalm* So, why isn't a game about "soft-body physics" not about graphics? I hate to tell you but that is graphical. Also, now in threads we have to be able to do better than what ever the thread is about? :banghead: Everybody's thread count is going to halt.. :roll:

EDIT: I'm done with this thread.. I don't really care about damage to a vehicle I can barely control anyway... Anybody ever play GTA games? Barely touch something and your car is totalled.. I would rather have better controls then work on damage. And I referenced GTA.. I know this isn't the people who made GTA! :p
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2012
    Crunching for Team TPU
  15. lilhasselhoffer

lilhasselhoffer

Thanks Received:
    I see your point, but there's one problem; who controls the license for use of Cryengine3?

While I can appreciate that people independently developed this, and their efforts are impressive, there is a point of no return.

I would love to see these people succeed, and have their hobby lifted to the next level. My problem is that this sort of thing is actually property of Crytek now. The boxes that most people click through on install, they're nasty little buggers. Seeing something like this, I'm pretty sure Ubisoft will ask why Crytek doesn't utilize this. Crytek will search out the easiest solution, which is to take this mod (which they own by EULA) and refine it. Even refined, this level of detail would make both graphics cards and programmers cry. The time they would spend modifying it into something useful is time that could have been spent on making better games.

So, why do I think Crytek is associated with a mod done by the community? That's simple, they own the engine and all derived works. This mod is a derived work, that looks stunning enough to get people to throw money at. This is why something like this links directly back to Crytek, despite being a community effort. If you don't agree with that reasoning, then there's our disconnect.
  16. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    It remains to be seen how well others will use CryENGINE3. The clips I've seen of Sniper Ghost Warrior 2 so far don't look all that great.
  17. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I gave up on crysis 3 right after crysis 2 came out.. I think I'll pass on 3.. 2 was just insulting..