1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reward if you can take the challenge to fix this

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by webJockey, Sep 3, 2011.

1. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi all, I have tried to fix this a lot and no one could really help me on this, so now I am happy to reward someone by paying some cash in his/her PayPal account if he/she can help me solve this. I can donate to the site at your choice as well.

The problem:
    When my LG W2253TQ-PF monitor is connected to my Gigabyte HD 5750 via DVI cable I see a black border (about an inch thick) around all corners of my screen until I see windows login screen. (There is no such border when windows has loaded because gpu driver has loaded then). I also see the same black border in safe mode and bios settings screen (the resolution is fine). However there is no such border if I connect it with VGA cable. My card natively supports vesa resolution of 1920x1080 and so is the resolution of my LG monitor. I know technically it’s called under-scanning/scaling issue but how do I fix it. Scaling options in ATI CCC only helps after windows has booted. I need something that can fix this under scanning issue before winnows has booted. I can't play with monitor settings on digital input. I have tried different monitors, so it’s not a monitor issue. It’s not a resolution issue, it’s a scaling issue.

Why I am so worried about something like this:
    Windows has a black background in initial boot process so the black border is not even really visible, I also don’t spend all my time in bios setting screen or in safe mode but I have a Hackintosh running on my machine as my main system which has a grey background during the boot and then this black border becomes really visible and I hate it whenever I boot my system.

Thanks in advance
    NB: I have hex edited vesa modes of vbios in order to fix, it fixed the resolution but not black border. Hackintosh has got nothing to do with it, the problem is independent of Hackintosh.
  2. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    oh thats an easy fix. the settings in the CCC to adjust scaling, i'll see if i can get a pic.
  3. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

on HDMI displays it defaults slightly towards underscan for some reason, i think for plasma screens. you change that once in the CCC, and it sticks until you change drivers.

edit: i only just saw you want it changed BEFORE boot... unless your monitor has an option for that (on my TV its called 'just scan' instead of 16:9/4:3) you're screwed and it cant be done. if its before OS has loaded, then its a hardware feature of your monitor.
  4. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    thanks for quick response but ccc scaling setting in windows only help once system has booted and I dont have black border problem once the system has fully booted. Its on splash screen, initial boot, safe mode, bios settings screen
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i did an edit, its a hardware feature of your screen. look in its OSD, when on the HDMI/DVI connection in the BIOS or something.
  6. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
  7. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    in that case, you might be stuck with it.
  8. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Is there a reason to use the DVI cable? I thought the VGA was still enough to get you 1920x1080. If there's no border with VGA, then use that.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  9. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    VGA can result in a blurrier picture.
  10. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    Tbh, I never used vga with that res myself, but the only burryness I've seen with vga is if the cable had no filters on it.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  11. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    Resolutions wrong, find what your monitor is rated for, mine says 1366x1024, but it runs at 1360x768, try a bunch of settings. On the desktop right click and select screen resolutions till one looks right, lol.
  12. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    The native reolution of my monitor is 1920x1080
  13. Sir B. Fannybottom

Sir B. Fannybottom

Thanks Received:
    What type of cable is it then? Is it one of those poopy dollar store ones? Have you tried with it plugged into other slots?
  14. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    its one of the best ones that I could pick, currently plugged into first port of the card via dvi/vga adapter. I have tried different ports
  15. silkstone

silkstone

Thanks Received:
    I agree with mussels. i think it's a hardware feature. If there's no option in the OSD then you're stuck.

For example my plasma has the options for: just scan, zoom, 16:9, 4:3, etc. which allows my to stretch the display to fit the TV if it's at a lower res than my tv natively supports.
  16. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    I have seen plenty of monitors do this, and I see no reason why it should bother you. stop nitpicking; not trying to sound harsh, but seriously, if it bothers you that much, close your eyes while it boots, you don't have to watch it.

honestly I doubt there is any kind of fix (that is worth the effort). if anything, get a SSD so that your boot time is shorter and you don't have to look at as much.
    dr emulator (madmax) says thanks.
  17. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I am already running it on SSD
  18. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    hmm. your boot time should be under 10 seconds then. I know it's anoying (I got a monitor that shifts the post screen halfway out to the right, autocorects before bios) but it is unlikely that a fix will worth the effort. (think of how many times you would have to boot to equal the time you spent fixing it)

just a stupid suggestion, what happens if you plug in VGA and DVI? maybe you could get it to boot in VGA and then correct to DVI once it's in the OS.
  19. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    If I plug it on both, system thinks two monitors are connected and behaves accordingly
  20. Black Haru

Black Haru

Thanks Received:
    that must be odd. what GPU do you have?

EDIT* so I had to reboot and see if I had the same border on this current monitor: I do. I messed around in my BIOS and found nothing to indicate there is a setting to change it. it auto-corrects in windows.

some sort of BIOS edit may be able to help with the post screen, but for hackintosh I do not know.
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  21. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    the resolution of your monitor does not match the predifined ones set in the BIOS etc. thats why yo ar getting a black border.
  22. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    My sapphire 5750 did the exact same thing. I googled it and a fix was the first response. It was like unchecked scalling something Later when the new drivers came out it was fixed
  23. t_ski

t_ski Former Staff

Thanks Received:
    I think your monitor is not capable of scaling down the image to a lower resolution. Have you tried a newer BIOS for the video card?
    Crunching for Team TPU
  24. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    this is the problem
  25. Breathless New Member

Thanks Received:
    as others have said, your monitor does not have built in image scaling. There is nothing you can do except get a better monitor that has scaling. My guess is this is exactly what you will end up doing since it bothers you so much.