1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Reward if you can take the challenge to fix this

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by webJockey, Sep 3, 2011.

1. Mussels

Mussels Moderprator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    actually i find its the cheaper ones that work better for what he wants, and the more expensive ones do the scaling.

most people consider scaling a good feature, so that they dont get a stretched or distorted image.
  2. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    Subscribed...Just because a cash reward was offered...and I curious now.
  3. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    the one guaranteed solution is to use a HDTV as a monitor, because they always offer control of their scaling options.
  4. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I've always thought the motherboard bios has to do with whether the boot screen would be stretched or not.
  5. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    BIOS controls what resolution is output, but its up to the monitor whether it scales or not at that resolution.
  6. animal007uk

Thanks Received:
    I agree with this, I was just reading through this thread and thought hmm im going to restart the pc because i use DVI and i wanted to see if i get black boarders around my screen but i don't have any so it must be a thing with the op's screen and nothing to do with the rest of the pc.
  7. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    Did it ever get fixed?

Im saying its a driver issue. I know your thinking that doesn't effect the post or splash screen but it does. Ive been there
  8. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    :wtf:

you realise that you can have zero drives connected at all to a system... and that means no drivers. and he'd still have the problem? its physically not possible for it to be drivers.
    qubit says thanks.
  9. de.das.dude

de.das.dude Pro Indian Modder

Thanks Received:
    :twitch: :eek: :shadedshu
  10. the54thvoid

the54thvoid

Thanks Received:
  11. Jetster

Jetster

Thanks Received:
    All im saying is I had the exact problem. The fix was in the driver and after a reboot the problem went away. Maybe the driver update changed something in the GPU bios. Or maybe I did something else
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2011
  12. SaintHeretic New Member

Thanks Received:
    what i would try if i was you is get a converter plug that will let you use the hdmi of your card out and convert it to what ever your input on the monitor is,should fix it
  13. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    I agree most of HDTVs do image sclaling and so does mine. With my 50" LCD TV image during boot is perfect. But most of mid range pc monitors dont support this. Thats why I was kinda after a vbios hack.

Most of moderen GPUs unable kinda 5% underscanning (to avoid people coming up with overscanning issues for any of numerous reasons) in vbios when no driver is loaded. Setting it that way means, when you have just assembled a brand new rig, and you go into your bios settings every single corner of the image should be visible.

So why some of us dont have this issue: 1) using vga connection 2) monitor is not full HD
    ( I think issue occurs when we are using 1920x1080 resolution, people under that resolution might not have this problem.) 3) people just dont notice enough. splash screen is gone before you see it, you dont go in bios settings very often, windows is smart to use black background in intial boot process so that people cant see underscanning at boot when driver is not loaded. such a big store of hardware, and one OS to cope up with all that!!! its pretty simple reaseon to choose black background through out windows OS history.Few those who understand that 1:1 monitor/gpu resolution is perectly feasible on "their hardware" know that they dont need default underscann setting in vbios. It is enabled for those who might need it.

I put the reward for someone to comeup with vbios hack as I could not find any hack related to this. So the one who could write this guide really needs the reward.

To others, bios splash screen, initial boot, bios settings screen is not affected by driver at all.
  14. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    i dont have the black borders in my BIOS on my samsung screen using HDMI and DVI, at 1080p. you'll never find a video BIOS hack, as its got nothing to do with the video card. its the monitor.
  15. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    whats your monitor model no? does it support image scaling you mean. Also what gpu are you using.
  16. Mussels

Thanks Received:
    samsung 2494HS. mine does not support scaling at all, so its always stretched to full screen.
  17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I've just read through the whole thread and I have no idea why it bothers the OP so much? :confused: It's just the way the monitor works, end of story. There's nothing wrong with this, either.

And personally, I hate scaling. It makes the picture blurred and if the aspect ratios don't match, the picture is distorted on the horizontal axis, usually a stretched 4:3 picture.
  18. SK-1

SK-1

Thanks Received:
    qubit says thanks.
  19. webJockey New Member

Thanks Received:
    you guys just missed the very first post I believe

"Why I am so worried about something like this:
    Windows has a black background in initial boot process so the black border is not even really visible, I also don’t spend all my time in bios setting screen or in safe mode but I have a Hackintosh running on my machine as my main system which has a grey background during the boot and then this black border becomes really visible and I hate it whenever I boot my system."
  20. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    then adjust the apple splash screen dimensions. what you are asking for cannot be done.
    qubit says thanks.
  21. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    @webJockey: no I didn't miss that. Regardless of whether you have a hackintosh or not, you're still trying to "fix" something that's totally transient at boot-up and is a function of the monitor design.

It definitely sounds like OCD as SK-1 pointed out. Try to chill about this buddy, if possible. :toast:

Tell me, after your hackintosh has finished booting and has reached the desktop, do you still see a large border around it? If so, then you need to set the desktop resolution to match the monitor's native 1920x1080 resolution and isn't connected to your boot-up screen borders at all.