1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

rFactor2....PC racing sim.

Discussion in 'Games' started by Kwod, Jan 16, 2012.

1. Chicken Patty

Chicken Patty WCG Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I remember the Papyrus days! :rockout:

INSTG8R says thanks.
  2. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Those 60's F1 cars are insane, fucking insane!!

3. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. boredgunner

boredgunner

Thanks Received:
    I think I'll pass on this one... will there ever be a day where PC gets a racing game like Gran Turismo or Forza? PC racing sims don't appeal to me, I just like the realism in the physics.

6. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    I don't understand, what you are saying is that you like the physics, but not the graphics right? google project CARS, hopefully it fill the gap between GT5 and Forza and todays PC sims. By the way GT is a driving simulator not a racing game.

boredgunner says thanks.
  7. boredgunner

boredgunner

Thanks Received:
    The problem I have isn't the graphics, but the content included with single player. I never said GT was a racing simulator - it is a driving simulator with races. It doesn't go for much realism with all of the races but I love the vehicle selection of these games and the versatility in single player mode. It's a good balance between realism (in the driving physics) and a video game (single player racing content). I haven't really found that in PC racing games, simulation or not. I heard about CARS, I'll check that one out but it doesn't remind me of Gran Turismo or Forza so far. However it has modern endurance racing which I enjoy, so I might pick it up for that.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  8. KingPing

KingPing

Thanks Received:
    Now i get it. I don't think there will ever be a game like GT or Forza for PC, to put those cars in the game they have to pay license costs and that alone can be pretty expensive, and sim studios tend to have smaller budgets.

9. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Me, I'm hoping rfactor2 gets to a state where I can use it exclusively for MP racing, and any other car games I buy can be for SP/fun.

The way rfactor is supposed to work is that the initial stuff isn't the best, and then x amount of mods filter thru and hey presto, you have a game, however sim racing isn't about 100's of cars, I don't have time to practice with, set up and competitively race 150 cars....impossible, and tbh, totally undesirable.

The reason why GT5/FM4 have so many cars is because they know that no single car is worthy of doing 1000's of laps on as the difficulty level isn't there, nor is the feeling of satisfaction of finding a few 10ths every so often, and in a competitive MP game, a few 10ths is huge.

The F1 redbull is a damn good effort, 250-260kph cornering if you know how to drive, otherwise hello guard rail and a healthy bump on your insurance policy.
    Sim racers will enter a online game, and practice for 50-120 laps, and maybe not even bother to race, but they will have improved their times and honed their set up, ready for the opportunity to pounce on GT5 noobs.

Now that I have a decent wheel{G27} I have a hard time seeing the value of arcade games, especially as most of them suck on MP thx to their console origins, and don't offer me the driving thrill/reward{PC sims have the best FFB and steering precision}.

So I have my eye on GTR3, Assetto Corsa, and Reiza's Ayrton Senna game, but only GTR3 stands a chance of having a busy longterm MP, so for me, it'll be down to rfactor or GTR3 for my racing future.

10. _JP_

_JP_

Thanks Received:
    >G27
    >decent wheel
    >decent

You're kidding me, right? :shadedshu
    Anyway, except that, I agree with the rest you said, but I can only see it becoming true if the price for the game is right. A lot of people like what they see, but give up the moment the price is shown to them.

11. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    .....it's one of the great PC products IMO.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
    _JP_ says thanks.
  12. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Just to be clear, I think the G27 is one of the great gaming peripherals.

13. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    The G25 & G27 are very good wheels. You can buy better but for $300 or less; not really.

14. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    My bro has a G25. It works quite well. Only complaint I would say is that the shifter broke after a year or so of use. He bought a 3rd party one to use with it.

15. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good point, the question is though, how much do you spend and how long does it last?
    My G27 cost me $390aud, I'd like at least 3yrs at that rate, but to really out do a G27, you need a much more expensive wheel and pedal set.

Here in Oz, the CSP's are nearly the same price as the entire G27 wheel and pedal set, and obviously they should last a while, but what about a better wheel, probably be looking at somewhere near double the cost, ie, $800aud for wheel and CSP's.

That said, there's so much FFB coming thru my G27, especially in rf2, the last thing I want is more force, and IMO, G27 is a very precise weapon.

Personally, I'd love to see a G28 with a 2 pedal set, load cell on the brake and even beefier paddle shifters.....that would be affordable and epic, they can dump the 6sp shifter and put all the buttons on the wheel like DFGT.

16. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm useless with the shifter, I'm a paddle champ all the way.

17. Hybrid_theory

Hybrid_theory

Thanks Received:
    I like having the manual shifter. I think they should make a successor to the DFGT. I had that for a few years and it was a very solid wheel. Maybe something a bit more price to improve the pedals.

But I like having the options of both paddles and an H shifter. Paddles are good for the faster cars (500hp+ or so), shifter good for the slower ones.

18. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, with the faster cars, it's like you're driving one handed, but I just use my PC desk, and I think using a shifter would be better in a sim rig so you can position it perfectly.
    I also have a DFGT, and the G27 pedals seem like they were built by a master craftsman in comparison.

The brakes on the DFGT were shocking, but the gas was also terrible, it'd load up, and powerful cars were a real struggle exiting slow corners.

When I un-packaged my G27, the pedals put a smile on my face, you can instantly see the build quality in them+ they work so much better on both brake and gas.

I tried the Dirt2 demo with my G27 and my shoulders started to burn 10mins later, lol....but I rejected Dirt2 with DFGT as it felt fairly lifeless.

The point of my long winded reply is that G27 is a significant upgrade over DFGT or that type of cheapie wheel.

19. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
  20. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I looked at rf2, but I like the looks of pC.A.R.S. more.

I have always wanted a wheel, but im to afraid that I will buy one and my lap times will go down. I am one of those people that is fast with a 360 controller Forza 3-4 Top 1% in the world. I also like the F1 series even though they aren't Sim.

21. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    You need a wheel to appreciate the precision and FFB of proper PC sims......just use a wheel* with PC sims and use the 360 pad for FM3/4.
    Don't get me wrong, I was expecting more from rf2 graphically, but they claim more updates are coming, but I don't think it'll rival the detail of pcars, but, pcars isn't a sim IMO, it's more like GT5/FM.

*if you choose to buy a wheel, go straight for a G27, anything below it is cheap and nasty.

22. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    I have been looking at some wheels I like the Fanatec CSR Elite or their upcoming Club Sport.

From in game pCARS nothing done to this pic.
    [​IMG]

23. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    Damn, if I had known you were rich, I'd have sucked up 2 u:toast:
    Btw, the pedals are the defining factor in speed with sims, so make sure to get the CSP's as well..

I have pcars, and it's in some ways better than F1 2011 for driving with a wheel, but still 10 or so months to go before release.

24. Delta6326

Delta6326

Thanks Received:
    Haha I wish I was rich I have been saving up money for a long time for a whole new computer and racing stuff. I pretty much only play racing games.

I'm thinking about trying pCARS do you think my current comp can handle it for now? How does your do as I'm still debating on getting Ivy Bridge or wait till Haswell, pCARS should be coming out around that time then.

25. Kwod New Member

Thanks Received:
    My PC can handle it at low 1080p, but if you've got XF 4850's, I'm not sure it'll support it.
    You'll get input lag if the GFX are too high.
    Ivy pisses me off....no meaningful increase in performance and a meaningless decrease in TDP.

Delta6326 says thanks.