1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rift - Planes of Telara

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuroikenshi, Feb 9, 2011.

1. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    This.

Since I am still leveling though I still need some defensive spells to survive. Would like your opinion.

2. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    Well in my humble opinion, one of the best things about this game is that there is no one "correct" answer to class specs, and hybrids are very viable. I personally prefer to play bard, but am not opposed to going night blade or even saboture, but the whole "what is best for the group" thing really rubs me the wrong way and over all is what attarcted me to the game is that there are so many ways to play the game and to be viable.

Now IMO bard needs both a hit buff and a damage buff because as a bard outside of my guild even though I am 3/5 of greenscale and insanely geared outside of certain instances I am blackballed as a bard but that is neither here not there as far as the discussion goes.

They still have some balancing issues, but it is somewhat negated by the ability to adjust to the situation at hand by changing you spec, but at the same time to me as I said, this game is all about playing how you want and still being viable and accepted in the end game and pvp, rather than there being a stream of cookie cutter flavor of the month toons or be shunned cuz your healing or dps is weak.

If your set on going druid, and dont mind it being pet centric, I recommend Druid / Shaman / Sentinal , now if you want great survivability with benifits of no down time while waiting for mana and pasive healing like a bard (but not as much as a bard), Justicar / Druid / Shaman might be the way to go for you. These are both solid solo specs imo, and as such should be something you look into.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
  3. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    ^QFT

I thought about unsubbing and not playing beyond the 1st month. But honestly, I do love my mage. Hybridization and certain pure builds are so much fun within the Mage class. Dominator/Stormcaller/Pyromancer/Chloromancer/Warlock I love them all and know them all well.

I plan on casually working on a cleric next. I love their rank 6 PvP armor but highly doubt I will ever get there with that toon. I have seen my buddys Inquisitor AOE farming build and it’s pretty sweet. But he’s too selfish to heal in PvP or Dungeons which is what people SHOULD be doing with clerics instead of DPS. Lots of warriors made cleric alts for some reason (i am pretty sure the people who DPS as a cleric just have HUGE e-peens and want to brag about it when the mechanics always will make it in your favor and that you will always be that self healing toon that will beat/outlast a toon unable to heal itself, duh). I love how mouthy DPSing and self healing clerics are (sarcasm).

I will probably be here as long as queues pop for lvl 50 PvP or till they nerf every build I enjoy due to QQers.

4. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    My druid and sentinel trees are coming along nicely. Can't wait to start healing in dungeons. I don't even know where any are. XD (Level 13)

Yeah I don't know how long I will be playing this. Probably up till SW: The Old Republic comes out or if I get a beta key then I may stop Rift. We will see. :)

5. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I run inquis/sent in dungeons and it works pretty well. In AOE fights I typically top damage, and can dish out 440~ DPS on single mob fights. It's not quite up to par with the nigh-700 dps of a nightblade, but in the event of an emergency - like the healer bites the dust- I can keep the tank up.

Of course I have a good healing spec too, and actually prefer to heal, but to say clerics cant be useful outside their healing role is just idiocracy.

6. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    You won't see the first dungeon until about level 16 or 17, Iron Tomb. There should be a TON of IT parties out there since the game is still fairly new and there are a lot of new players.

Currently I'm looking for something to compliment my Saboteur. I had Hunter previously for the pet but at level 42 both pets (I had 16 or so points in Hunter) are capped at level 30 and 34 respectively. They don't do much of anything against 41+ mobs. Without taking points out of my Sab tree I can't get a bigger pet unless I devote 24 points to Hunter; that isn't going to happen simply because Hunter is USELESS for Sab except for the pet.

Right now I'm trying a Sab/Bard combo for the extra armor and buffs from Bard. My second Role is 100% Bard so it goes without saying that I'm disappointed with the buffs I get with 15-16 points into Bard vs. 42 points in Bard. I was trying it simply to see if it would suffice to replace my pet (or lack thereof). On top of that without all the points I need my GOOD buffs only last 15 seconds, not 30 like my full Bard role. This hinders nuking mobs because I have to keep track of that as well as my bombs...

The only other viable sole I can consider teaming up with my Sab I think is Marksman, the problem is I hear marksman sucks. In addition I don't need any more ranged attacks/attacks that stack combo points, Saboteur does that well enough already. Melee souls won't help much, will they? I only really need more defense because my pet is no longer there to take the hits for me.

Sorry for the long post :laugh: I'm just at a crossroads. Riftstalker looks like it would be a good pair with the additional endurance and armor granted, what do you guys think?

7. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't know who would say that. For compitent team PvP a cabalist heavy spec is seriously necessary. Maelstrom, Undertow, and Surge paired with a Pyro and Stormcaller = death. For those unfamiliar, it’s basically an AOE pull to a targeted location. Up to 5 people (on the opposing side) are lifted into the air and placed on targeted location while snared upon landing. Exceptionally useful.

I only use Sab now for runners with my 51 points invested into Assassin build. It’s a deadly combo period.

Assassin Nighblade is another combo I like. You get range and can take out healing classes with Fell Blades.

Marksman isn’t that bad…it isn’t what it was in Beta but that’s ok. I can still get many kills with my MM/Ranger/Infiltrator build.

Riftstalker is great for Tanking and utter mobilization as you can teleport across a map pretty damn fast. You have a recall position that takes you back to a marked place on your map. I see this being used by crystal runners in Battle for Port Scion all the time.The damage is pretty weak alone but you can use Sab for range if you want to go that route instead of melee. I have seen 1 rogue go Rift MM and he did very well in a few warfronts. Personally I don’t like Riftstalker. The Warrior counterpart Riftblade is way better to me (and just as OPd).

I think you will just have to play with builds period. You don’t really need that many points invested into saboteur but can do whatever you like in this game. Honestly it’s blast charge and detonate that you will be using the most…I don’t even bother with any of the other charges. Didn’t before 1.1 either.

Sin/Sab/Inf
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMTb.GARftsfqddR.Vz.xb0M

Marksman/Ranger/Inf
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MfNb.vMtRVzVudR.VGo0u.xb0R

Sin/NB/Inf
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0MMib.Gh0ft0foddo.Vhx0hVx0cs

all allow me to do well in PvP

I have 1 bard spec for PvE and I won’t bother posting that because I don’t really do any dungeons on my server because they want Mage DPS not Rogue.

8. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have no skills with squshy sneaking classes so when I bought my Infiltrator soul I was sorely disappointed. Mages? Love em. Warriors? Awesome. Healers? Count me in. Sneaking around and stunning? Not my bag. Ranged/thinking classes is my cup tea as well. I've gotten out of some pretty bad situations as Sab and I don't see myself giving it up anytime soon. I guess only time will tell...:cool:

I'll try to take less posting space from now on :roll:

9. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Can someone explain to me how the transportation system in this game works? I haven't noticed any 'flight paths' like wow has and how do you get mounts?...

10. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    Teleporting and mounts. each main area of the map has at least one teleporter. Mounts can be bought. Once you make your way to the main city of the game you should find a mount dealer near the coast but once at the main city you will find one for sure. They range from 60% speed increase vs walking to 90% and then 120% if I'm not mistaken.

11. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    You are correct. They are 2.5 Platinum for the first (any level), 35 Platinum for the Second (Level 40+) and 150 Platinum for the best (Level 45?+).

12. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    close, 125 plat for the epic level 50 mounts

you can also get mounts from your pvp vendors in exchange for favor but you need a lot of notoriety

13. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    I have noticed a lot of people already 50. Is it pretty easy to obtain? I haven't noticed much grinding even up to level 14...

14. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    yes, there are a lot of people already level 50, port scion warfronts are always full when you join em (40 man instance) at peak hours and wait times are usually 2 - 10 minutes. as for the attaining it easily thats more of a question of how long can you quest grind / dungeon instance without burning out :p it took me about 100 hours play time to get level 50 and thats with the learning curve of this being my first "real" mmo

15. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    It seems fast for those that play every minute they can daily.

People like me have too much going on to play as often and thats why I'm still at L28 with my main. Bums me out considering that Trion gave me 35 days for free added to my account due to issues at release. So far I haven't played in several weeks. Bummer.

16. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Dont fret about this though! One thing I discovered is that there is no cap on rested exp. I hadnt played my main for a week and a half since I was leveling up with a friend. When i finally got back to my main i went through 5 levels of rested xp! :rockout:

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  17. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    it's good to learn your class inside and out though. assassin is great for taking out mages who can't self heal or don't have a healer near them pretty quickly. nightblade is great for killing things that heal due to fell blades cutting their healing down. you also get a few ranged abilities (1 that's spammable) in nightblade and there's an upper tier ability that you can spec for that does more dmg when the target is below 30% (i pvp with NB a lot i love it).

i've been 50 with my rogue since the last part of second week of release, i've tested every possible combination i could think of and have everything in rogue lvld to 50. full sab was awesome don't get me wrong...i didn't need to use the other charges when that is mostly a single target tree (to me at least). pre 1.1 i could hit people for 4k dmg with blast charge...no reason to use anything else imo.

18. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    sooo... i ran a daily instance last night got 2 purples i needed and one more from the vendor for plaques of achievement. the only thing left i need is a purple main hand and i'll be decked woo!

19. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey Arrakis did you notice that there's Ironpine Melange in the game? I found that hilarious! There was also a NPC that yelled "the spice must flow" or something verrry similar in Meridian once, I almost DIED laughing. Some of the developers were obviously Dune nerds, much like me. I need to get around to re-reading them because it's almost been 10 years.

Congrats on the purples, I just got the level 50 trinket from the World Event a few days ago, should be nice when I actually HIT 50 :laugh:.

20. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    yeah, there are a ton of references in the game and a lot of the quest item descriptions have double meanings and are hilarious. i plan to go T1 grinding tonight to try and get my purple main hand and maybe a few warfronts in between so i can finally get to prestige rank 2 :toast:

21. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm surprised people are still playing this O_O

22. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    Useless comment is useless.

WhiteNoise says thanks.
  23. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    there is still a LOT to do, the game isnt even half over for me maybe like 1/4th in so far

24. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Why wouldn't people still be playing?...

25. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    because it "doesn't have the features of wow" or "my build got nerfed now im not the strongest class" or "theres no content after 50 im bored" honestly just because there was a short period of public beta doesn't mean that the game is going to be a fully polished diamond at launch date, let alone a month after its initial release. i wish more people would stop QQ'ing and just play the game ! i could go on and on about it but i'll just leave it at that ;)