1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rift - Planes of Telara

Discussion in 'Games' started by kuroikenshi, Feb 9, 2011.

1. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    ^ Well the only MMO game that will have the most successful launch is most likely going to be Star Wars: The Old Republic. ;) ;)

2. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    i want to play rift!!!!! lol but i know i will be noob at it, anyhow! i think it is a great game.

gameplays looks nice :)

3. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Its ok if you are a noob or not. Maybe because its still a new game but a lot of people are still very helpful to people. I know I am! I got a nice blue leather helmet for a rogue and I just gave it away to some random person after doing a rift.

Play at your own pace and just have fun! :D

4. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    i see a lot of people comparing rift to TOR just one question HOW??? your taking a fantasy game and comparing it to a fantasy future/space game it just doesn't make any scene to me

5. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Bioware is good, but be mindful EA has purchased them. Not sure if you have a lot of experience with EA, but I find them to be a very mediocre company out to scratch every last penny from their consumers, while treating their employees like crap. Its tough for me to endorse anything they put their hands on.

6. MLG The Canadian

MLG The Canadian New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didn't say anything about WoW, nor was I "QQ'ing" I just felt upon playing the initial release that it wouldn't last too long.

I guess I'm a troll, and apparently useless.. I'll keep that in mind.

7. Thassodar

Thassodar New Member

Thanks Received:
    When the only thing in your comment is "I'm surprised people are still playing this O_O" and it has no relevance to what was being talked about, yes, you are a troll. It's a comment to get an reaction out of people and by responding I am feeding the troll i.e. YOU. If you had explained like you did right now it may of came differently; presently it appears that you were jabbing at the people who still play, as if the game has no merit.

8. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    well, you're surprised people are still playing a game in which their first month sub hasnt run out yet. Even games that dont last too long still last past their first month. What game in existence has had a life so short? There isnt one. Heck 'Lord of the Rings' online, original 'Everquest', and even the 13 year old Sierra game 'The Realm' is still around. But for some reason good ol' Rift wont make it a month before it gets shut down?

I assume you're being sarcastic, and that is fine. But dont try to defend yourself all 'aw-shucks' innocent-like.

Sorry to rant/feed here, but I am at work and a little bored.

9. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    So... on my level 20 warrior I am trying an experimental build... IE, tanking with a two-handed weapon. Here are the two specs that I am messing with.

Paladin/Champ/Reaver
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0chkA.EMM.VA0doMrhhzz.xdqt00z

Paladin/Champ/Warlord
    http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html?t=0chkE.EMM.VA0doMrhhzz.E0hokx

I am currently the bottom spec at this time. I have not done a dungeon yet but I have tanked some rift with elites and it wasnt that bad for single targeting. The build doesnt really get good until 23-24, since around that time I get some AOE taunts.

I think after work today I am going to try to tank IT and see how well or horrible I do! VIVA LA UNUSUAL! :D

10. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Sorry, didn't mean to come off as a troll.

I just thought that the overall impression (from everybody not just me) was that it didn't have much of an end game. I read that in numerous forums.

11. Arrakis+9

Arrakis+9

Thanks Received:
    there is still plenty to do at end game, achievements, artifacts, prestige rank 6, re roll a different class. just because there are no more "new" dungeons after green scale doesn't mean that the game is dead after 50. honestly if your bored when you hit 50 thats your fault for rolling through so fast.

[H]@RD5TUFF says thanks.
  12. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    Oh, I didn't hit 50.

I only reached level 23 or something. I played every 4-5 days or so.

It's a fun game, I enjoyed it but I'm not really an MMO person.

Like I said, I got an impression from reviews and from comments on forums that it was pretty stale at 50.

I fully enjoyed it but I'm used to my opinion being different, so I assumed most didn't lol :p

13. [H]@RD5TUFF

Thanks Received:
    What people don't seem to get is that, it's a casual game and should you choose to play it at the hardcore level, all that will happen is no different from WoW or any other MMO really, your basiclly left with dailies and farming instances for gear and such, I don't really see some great shock here. Hows it any different from WoW, I personally believe the game will be just fine for some time to come, but we are quickly approaching the point where the "it's a new game" excuse will not work any more, and people will become frustrated.

Does it need more content? YES!
    Does it need some bug fixes? YES!
    Does it need to compete tit for tat with WoW to be successful? NO!

Time will tell where it falls in the world of MMO's, but most people complaining about this or that are people who are going back to WoW because they expect RIFT to be WoW, and are setting themselves up for disappointment with their own stupidity.

Also from everything I have read, most people are saying positive things about the game, it seems the WoW trolls are simply the ones being butt hurt, and if the elietest community never takes hold in RIFT to me that's a good thing. Not to say it doesn't have a ways to go before it's where it needs to be, but over all I am very happy with the game and will continue to play through my 6 month subscription.

kuroikenshi says thanks.
  14. MLG The Canadian

Thanks Received:
    I'm just going to stop posting. I haven't said anything about World of Warcraft and I'm getting put in my place as a player of a game that I don't even play.

People are SO defensive about their MMO's.

15. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    So how was the event for everyone else? I got up at 3:30am since I live in japan and had to wait in a queue for 45 minutes... then they brought down the servers. Got in instantly when they came back up and a few guildies and I rode through the Droughtlands looking for the bosses. We found a few and had to fight through some Guardians, a large group of Defiant came by and we snatched the boss away from them. Got through phase 2 but phase 3 was a cluster since there were a large amount of people in Stillmoore.

Trion restarted phase 3 6 times and when she did, everyone was pretty let down when the last phased consisted of only a scripted chat between the two faction leaders and Alsbeth.

I also know that a lot of people were stuck in queue! My other monitor has a gadget that as the server status and the queue number and Briarcliff had a 500 person queue!

Well of course you could find a ton of "I quit Trion" and other WARGARBHL threads about quitting... So what does Trion do?

I think thats a great thing they did... I appreciate their very ambitious dreams of providing an event that can get everyone involved and I am looking forward to their next plan!

16. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Hmm. Are you talking about open world bosses? If so, I was in a level 20ish zone the other day (forgot the name) and all of a sudden at least 30 or so people all of a sudden started running to this area on the map. I was questing but got curious so I said screw questing.. xD
    We got to this female like boss or whatever it was.. lol and the lag for me was a bit crazy. My graphic settings are set at more high end but omg.. wow I was getting 13 frames in that 10 minute battle.:wtf:

17. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    Yea it was phase 2 and 3 for the world event. It was pretty bananas but I had no real lag or disconnects. Warping was slow though.

18. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    event was just a means to open a new raid dungeon. wish they had just opened it without wasting a crap ton of peoples time lol. but its good they are adding new content, I suppose..

19. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    If you’ve read the 1.2 update…the devs said something about open world PvP. After the debacle known as the ‘event’ yesterday, this game can’t sustain orvr in it’s current state. They limit how many people can be seen on the screen at one time. At one point I thought I was ganking a bard sitting in the back spamming cadence. Well upon stunning him, I was hit by things when no one I saw was targeting or looking at me. Only as I died did I see the people behind me load up. While I lold cuz it was the 1st, repeated deaths to people you can’t see makes mass orvr pointless in the games current state.

Another thing, the devs listened to PvPers about stats and leader boards. For starters, this game should never have such a feature. Eventually the game will become all about clerics like Aion. That’s not a bold statement, that’s going to be evident fact. Just mark my words.

Eh Trion is trying but all their so called balance ideas will be their own death eventually. It happens in almost every MMO I’ve ever played. Even minor changes can derail a playerbase. I plan on paying for 1 more month. But I’m sure I won’t pay after that.

Oh and River of souls is no joke. Could only kill the 1st boss yesterday. Took like 2 hours just to do the 1st boss. No thank you 6 hour raid.

20. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    So I really want to make a video of the game on my Youtube channel. Any suggestions on what I should focus on or talk about? It's hard to come up with something specific since I am still learning about the game.

21. kuroikenshi

kuroikenshi

Thanks Received:
    How about some nifty things that you can do with your soul combination? There are a lot of things that you can do depending on the combination. Some people are really stuck on the, "I'm going to press these two buttons to play this class!" that they forget that there are a lot of other things that you can do.

22. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    eh, open world PVP on non-pvp servers is just false. I've read the notes and cant even find where they mention that.
    http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?165691-New-Info-Updates-to-PvP-Souls-Crafting-and-more!

Did you raid with a PUG? is your guild decked out in gear from Greenscale or at least T2? If not, no wonder it took 2 hours to clear the first boss. Not to mention you had no idea what to expect, so there is a learning curve.

People complain about Rift being not hard-core enough then complain when something takes longer than an hour. Just seems kind of hypocritical to me.

23. BondExtreme

Thanks Received:
    Lol but I don't necessarily know what to say on that also. I just came to the game a week or so ago. Though it is nice to have two healing specs to keep me alive and my nice shadow spec. xD

It would be cool to get one of you guys as a video commentator for the vid. Maybe I could meet you guys up on your server or along those lines and then record. :)

I am on server, Arcanis.

24. lemode New Member

Thanks Received:
    it was a blurb under all that and now it's gone as the post was edited. i didn't mean orvr was going to be a part of 1.2 it was just something mentioned that they were working on and would disclose more info when they were closer to getting kinks out.

and when you can flag yourself on PvE servers...for anyone who wanted to partake why wouldn't they?

you can just wait and see.

25. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    I'm still not sure what you're saying will happen. an open world realm vs realm pvp event? That just seems so mind-boggingly impossible to pull off. It would need to be instanced with strict population control, which by definition makes it no longer "open world rvr."