1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rig Not Starting. Bad PSU or Mobo?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by unibrow1990, Nov 23, 2009.

1. unibrow1990

unibrow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Cleaned my rig yesterday, put everything back together and now it's not working. :banghead:

What has me mystified is the manner in which it isn't working. When you hit the power button it will power on, as in the lights will come on and all of the fans will spin up then after a brief period, anywhere from less than a second to almost a full minute in one case, it will power itself off again and not turn back on till you unplug the PSU and let it drain. This had me thinking that the PSU is bad. However even when the PSU stays on long enough the Mobo makes no attempt to post at all. The debug LED doesn't light up, and doing thing like removing the RAm and starting it cause no post codes. I have double, triple and quadruple check that everything is hooked up correctly and it is good.

So does anyone have any ideas?

2. Paulieg

Paulieg The Mad Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Did you happen to reseat the cpu? If you did, di you check your temps afterwards?

unibrow1990 says thanks.
  3. MN12BIRD

MN12BIRD

Thanks Received:
    LOL this happened to me last year. I took out the video card to clean it and then blew out the fans, motherboard etc. I put it all back together, hit the power and no POST. Mobo had power, everything spun up. Just no POST.

Turned out to be the 4-pin CPU plug on the PSU. It's like the wire is loose inside the PSU, if I pull on it one way it works, if I wiggle it the other way it doesn't!

unibrow1990 says thanks.
  4. unibrow1990

unibrow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I did not reseat y cpu, it's a huge pain to get the cooler on off so i just cleaned the cooler with it ounted on the cpu still.

I will try to see if I can see inside y psu and see if there are loose wires, don't want to take it apart and look in case I have to return it though.

5. Asylum

Asylum

Thanks Received:
    Just double check to make sure all your wires are connected correctly.
    Also try resetting your cmos to see if that fixes it.

unibrow1990 says thanks.
  6. d3fct

d3fct

Thanks Received:
    reseat everything ram, video cards, sound card etc. clear cmos with psu turned off, make sure all power supply connections are good to mobo, video cards, etc. if you have a spare psu layin around you can hook it up and see if you get a post.

unibrow1990 says thanks.
  7. fritoking

fritoking

Thanks Received:
    i had the exact same issue..i could eventually get it to boot up by repeatedly trying it. bought a new power supply and it went away. mine would only act up after it was off for awhile. try a new power supply

unibrow1990 says thanks.
  8. unibrow1990

unibrow1990 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have already unplugged and reconnected everything and triple checked that everything is hooked up right. I am getting together with a friend who has a spare PSU on Thursday so it looks like I'll just have to wait till then.

Also tryied resetting cmos to no avail.

9. athenaesword

athenaesword New Member

Thanks Received:
    i just had the exact same problem.

replaced a psu and discovered it wasn't a psu problem. wanted to replace the motherboard so when i took it down for testing i realised that it was the rams instead. didn't suspect rams cus i tested both individually and htey both didn't work and i didn't think i'd be so unlucky to have fried both.

moral of the story - no post could be due to a variety of factors. only way to be sure is to test new parts. don't make a sorry mistake like me and get replacements before you're 100% sure what's wrong. now i have an extra psu and nearly got an extra motherboard.