1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RIP Medal of Honor

Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Jan 31, 2013.

1. shk021051

shk021051

Thanks Received:
    Danger close has no talent :D

2. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    Allied Assault was by all means epic for/in it's time. Even little things like the constant and terrifying ping-pang-ping! sounds of the MG-42 rounds bouncing off the metal girder barriers on the beach when you took cover behind one (saw a couple of the real ones this past summer in Normandy).

3. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    You apparently don't understand the flip flop model EA was going for. The exact same model as Activision. The idea was to have a developer flip every year. BF, MOH, BF, MOH. That was the plan. It was to be a DIRECT competitor to Activsions IW:CoD, Treyarch:CoD model. They were to release at the SAME TIME to counter Activision and went after THE SAME demographic. MOH has a VERY arcade feel to it. Nothing was really "authentic". Apparently you bought into the hype on that one. EA doesn't want a successful shooter. It wanted a CoD killer and MoH fell short. Was it a good game? Not really by todays standard (BF3) but a lot of the ridicule it got was because it was a DIRECT COMPETITOR TO CoD and we all know CoD games are favored by reviewers. MoH didn't deserve a lot of the flak it got. MoH 2010 was in fact a damn good game.

Blame EA all you want. Fly that flag but they brought you BF3. End of story. I think if any blame is to be had it should be pointed at Danger Close.

4. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yes I do blame EA, you're really not taking valid customer complaints on the lackluster quality of the last two MoH titles, esp Warfighter, seriously. I've also read the talk of EA wanting something competitive against CoD, but I don't take that as meaning they wanted to MAKE another CoD type game. It's not like everyone that plays shooters follows ONE game formula, be it CoD, BF3, etc. Most shooter fanatics are crossover players. The two are quite different in their concept, just not enough in end design. The real problem is they picked the wrong type of title to release up against CoD, and they didn't execute it well in and of itself.

I also already pointed out that the latest MoHs are in fact not as authentic as they intended them to be, and furthermore, the somewhat suspect claims of getting former military advice seemed more of a hook than anything significant. There's too many little details that can be left hanging once military consultation is translated into game, even IF that consultation is legit.

I don't care how much anyone blabs on about CoD. The reality is, ANYONE that makes a military shooter has to deal with that series as competition. It doesn't mean they are seeking to use THAT particular formula or THAT particular fanbase, it's just that CoD fans are big part of the equation for ANY such game. Don't forget that BF3 itself has a huge following too. The story, gameplay, and even engine are more similar to the BF3 campaign than any CoD campaign.

It seems obvious to me you are only paying attention to critics vs actual player reviews. The critics don't tend to put things in the perspective of the player, and often times they exaggerate and even twist what the developers and publishers are trying to convey. The only thing that matters is the end result, and it was largely due to bad decisions on EA's part.

Anyways, it doesn't matter now, since it's been scrapped. It's certainly not as big a loss now considering how badly it evolved, but one things for sure, those whom bought and played it are entitled to their opinion on who's fault the scrapping was, you'll just have to accept that. How you can even point out key flaws in it then imply it was unfairly criticized is rather strange.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  5. Aleksander

Thanks Received:
    Lately the games are becoming so linear and boring
    MOH was boring too, but I better play the old playstation MOH games than the last one

Even Crysis 3 was really boring.
    I remember playing unreal tournament 3 where you could use a lot of machinery
    It was way more fun and I could even play it nowadays

6. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Medal of Honor Allied Assault was the best in the series. Even its expansions_Breakthrough and Spearhead were good. Next came Medal of Honor 2010. It was amazing too. But Warfighter was totally not worth. Too much dramatic-They could have made a movie out of it.
    One thing we have to admit-Things which happen in Call of Duty modern series can never happen in the real world. I mean that much drama! The thing is we like to play it. But the things that happened in Medal of Honor Allied Assault and 2010 happened in real life. Warfighter was too dramatic.

7. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Russians infiltrating and invading the US?

[​IMG]

8. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I don't get why devs see an ever increasing need to make their latest games chock full of cutscenes and/or flashy effects and QTE, and it's not just the ones that bomb. Even Max Payne 3, which did fairly well, was ridiculed for such things. BF3's campaign had a lot of over the top dramatic cutscenes too. If it's mp hadn't been so big, it might have bombed too. I often get the feeling in many games anymore that the control has been taken away from me. Have they forgotten this is primarily an interactive form of entertainment?

9. itsakjt

itsakjt

Thanks Received:
    Absolutely. They have forgotten that. If it goes this way, then I am afraid that the gaming industry might fall.

10. D007

D007

Thanks Received:
    I like how they cry about "Waa we got undeserved low scores".
    No you deserved those low scores because the game play got worse and worse as the series progressed.
    The game became stagnant and you did bad marketing for it.
    The game failed because EA let it fail.
    Nothing to do with the consumer market being polarized.
    The game was just boring.. Which is why no one played it..
    I played like the first game and that was it.

11. 1ceTr0n

1ceTr0n

Thanks Received:
    LeviathanPT and SIGSEGV say thanks.
  12. manofthem

manofthem WCG-TPU Team All-Star!

Thanks Received:
    That made me want to replay it, thanks for that :) great game indeed, started all this PC gaming for me :rockout:
    And I just realized its installed on my PC, so lets see how good it is!

Crunching for Team TPU 10 Million points folded for TPU
  13. Frag Maniac

Frag Maniac

Thanks Received:
    I cut my mp teeth on Allied Assault Spearhead. There were as many as 17 maps in server rotation, and all were pretty good.

That said, I stepped away from it when the cheating got out of hand.

14. Liquid Cool

Liquid Cool

Thanks Received:
    I played Spearhead too. About every night for a year...:). It was about then that Call of Duty came out and I started playing that...most of my friends I played MoH with didn't like CoD - at first, but most of us migrated over by the time Call of Duty 2 came out, and that was all she wrote. I was also playing Delta Force at the time, my fav fps shooter of all time until...as Frag Maniac pointed out with Spearhead...Delta Force was lost to cheaters.

Best,

LC

15. SIGSEGV

SIGSEGV

Thanks Received:
    i really love this game, and also its expansions which are spearhead and breakthrough, especially war scene on omaha beach and ardennes forest (bastogne) are mega thrilling for me.

16. misato New Member

Thanks Received:
    this is sad...MOH:AA was the first FPS game I ever played on my first PC and it was awesome...like you guys said, the assault on Omaha Beach was and I think still the best scene any MOH game have provided...bought MOH:WF to get back to it, liked the story but MP had a COD feel to it...and they did put the Frostbite 2 Engine to waste by not making the environment destructive...guess they won't be able to redeem themselves now...

17. 3870x2

3870x2

Thanks Received:
    The first FPS I have played on the PC was a Doom demo.

18. TheMailMan78

TheMailMan78 Big Member

Thanks Received:
    Noob. Mine was Catacomb, then Wolf 3D.

19. boise49ers

boise49ers

Thanks Received:
    “The game was solid" Yeah a solid piece of crap. The single player is kind of OK, the MP was horrible.

20. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    This makes me wonder if there are any MP servers that are still alive. Im considering buying the game for MP though for SP i borrowed a copy and SP was pretty damn sweet.