1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ripjaws Z vs Snipers & Q about RAM compatibility

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Leito360, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Leito360

Thanks Received:
    I'm about to buy one of these modules:

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=338

http://www.gskill.com/products.php?index=469

My first question is: Which one is better?

At first glance I would go for the Jaws Z @ CL7 because of the tighter timings, but I read on the net that the Snipers have a better IC because they're newer, but they're CL9 and I don't think I could get those timings tighter. On the other hand the hearspreader is lower, they have to fit under a 212+.

What can you guys tell me about the "Compatibility"-thingy?

Because, for example, the RipjawsZ are listed as compatible with Intel chipsets, but the Snipers say they're also compatible with AMD chipsets, but still, both of them will work on any board.

Why they do this clarification regarding the AMD/Intel chipsets if the sticks will work on both of them?
  2. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    You will not notice any difference. Snipers are design for a military theme, that's it. Ripjaws will be a tad better seeing they are cas7... I believe the Ripjaws fit under the 212+ Hold on. I have some photography from when I had them...
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013
  3. johnspack

johnspack

Thanks Received:
    Go for tighter timings. Ignore pretty names.
    Leito360 says thanks.
  4. drdeathx

drdeathx

Thanks Received:
    Here is a photo from when I reviewed the 2133MHz Ripjaw Z modules. The heatspreader is the same but black on these modules. They fit fine under an Evercool Transformer4 so, yes... they will work fine with a hyper 212+.

They are not certified cause they probably did not test them on AMD. Buy them, if they don't work, unpack-age them cleanly, and return them... They should work fine though. I will say they are nice modules... I loved them when i had them.

[​IMG]
    Leito360 says thanks.
  5. Leito360

Thanks Received:
    I will go for the Jaws Z then.

Thank you for your responses.

BTW: I hate the name "Sniper" xD
  6. micropage7

micropage7

Thanks Received:
    yeah many brands using military name or sharp name just to show they have something better than the other and yep, market like it so it done :toast:

[​IMG]
    but i guess its too far, althought it has nice design but for ram its too much. maybe someday they gonna put Howitzer on that :banghead:
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2013