1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Ripping DVD Collection onto External HD for PS3

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by dadi_oh, Dec 26, 2008.

1. dadi_oh

dadi_oh New Member

Thanks Received:
    Not sure what category to put this in so let's try "general" :)

I am looking at ripping my DVD collection onto a portable external hard disk to add to my PS3. The idea is to have access to my collection without getting the DVD out of the case (and wear and tear). I probably have a couple of hundred DVD's to do. I thought about streaming (briefly) but I am oon 802.11g wireless so bandwidth is nowhere near what would be required. That's why I figure a local disk on the PS3 is the way to go.

So far I have bought AnyDVD (awesome program) and Badaboom (FAST on my GTX260) and now playing with settings to get optimal video quality. On middle quality MP4 settings the video file seems to be 2 or 3 GB. On highest settings over 5GB. The PS3 only recognized FAT32 so I think I am limited to 4GB file size. Haven't had too much time to play with it yet but if anyone has recommendations on settings to achieve best results I would appreciate feedback.

Or should I go a different direction and do something like Apple TV? Thing is I already have the PS3 so one less thing to buy.