1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Riva Tuner and uninstalling VGA drivers

Discussion in 'Graphics Cards' started by dieselcat18, Jul 3, 2009.

1. dieselcat18

dieselcat18

Thanks Received:
    In erocker's thread "How to install video drivers (quick guide)".....he recommends (Uninstall any video card overclocking programs that are tied to your drivers. (Rivatuner, ATi Tool, etc.)

I have Riva Tuner installed in my PC, but am not currently running the program. Should I still follow the above instructions and un-install it before continuing with updating my video drivers to the current 9.6 version ?

I just want want to make sure everything gets un-installed and re-installed properly....Thxxx

*+
  2. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    I usually don't.
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  3. wolf2009 Guest

neither do i
  4. dieselcat18

dieselcat18

Thanks Received:
    Then neither will I....:p

I'm also assuming that applies to CCC, which I'm using to OC my video card.
  5. Taz100420

Taz100420

Thanks Received:
    Rivatuner always detected my new drivers without the need to uninstall it. Except recently lol.
  6. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    It's really not necessary, it's in the guide in case there are any kind of conflicts (going from ATi to Nvidia or the other way around). Most the things in the guide aren't really necessary as sometimes just installing a new video driver over the old one works, but in case it doesn't the guide is there. :toast:
    dieselcat18 says thanks.
  7. newtekie1

newtekie1 Semi-Retired Folder

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I only do it if I have a problem with the new driver installing, which is almost never anymore.

Off Topic: The Bugatti Veyron is the shit! The Grand Sport convertable version is even better!!!
    Crunching for Team TPU 50 Million points folded for TPU
  8. dieselcat18

dieselcat18

Thanks Received:
    thanks for your reply.........just finished installing the catalyst 9.6 drivers using your guide...it took a while for me, partly because I was switching out cards after getting back the HIS 4890 I had to RMA. But after several tries at installation ... :p.... I seem to have got them installed properly.
    Even though your saying that's it's OK to install new drivers over the old ones, I think by following your guide it's helps to make sure all is working properly.....it seems so for me.

One thing I have found though is that in ATi Overdrive in CCC, the tab to test for custom clocks, when click, is always showing failed no matter what the clock speeds are set to. I was wondering if anyone else had issues with that ?

Again ....thxx for your guide......:toast:

*+