• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rockstar Games closes Vienna office

Darksaber

Senior Editor & Case Reviewer
Staff member
System Name Meshlicious Monster
Processor Intel Core i5-10600T
Motherboard MSI Z490I Unify
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z53 with 2x Noctua Redux 1300 RPM PWM fans
Memory ADATA 16 GB 3200 Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 Gaming X Trio
Storage TeamGroup 1TB NVMe SSD
Display(s) Asus ProArt 27" 1440P, 75Hz
Case ssupd Meshlicious with mesh side panels
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion 660 W Platinum ATX
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RGB Pro Wireless
Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Home
So it seems that Rockstar has closed their Vienna offices, leaving around 100 employees out in the cold, when they came to work. The Vienna offices were responsible for porting games from the PC to the XBox. Some of those games were Max Payne, Grand Theft Auto 3, Vice City, as well as the console versions of Max Payne 2. Rockstar made this public last week, with the statement: "Employees will be offered packages in accordance with Austrian law, as well as other job opportunities within Take-Two and Rockstar Games where possible."

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

oldschool

Now days it seems employees are only pawns to generate huge salaries for corporate CEOs.

overcast

Processor AMD Opteron 165 @ 2.7ghz Stock Voltage
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium
Cooling Stock Opteron
Memory OCZ PC4000 EB Platinum 2GB
Video Card(s) ATI X1900XTX
Storage 2 x Western Digital 74gb Raptors
Display(s) NEC 990B 19"
Case Antec P150
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic S12-500
Software XP 32bit
oldschool said:
Now days it seems employees are only pawns to generate huge salaries for corporate CEOs.
Nowadays? Welcome to reality. :rolleyes:

Alec§taar

Someone who's going to find NewTekie1 and teach hi
Processor DualCore AMD Athlon 64x2 4800+ (o/c 2801mhz STABLE (Ketxxx, POGE, Tatty One, ME))
Motherboard ASUS A8N-SLI Premium (PCIe x16, x4, x1)
Cooling PhaseChange Coolermaster CM754/939 (fan/heatsink), Thermalright heatspreaders + fan built on (RAM)
Memory 512mb PC-3200 DDR400 (set DDR-33 for o/c) by Corsair (matched pair, 2x256mb) 200.1/200mhz
Video Card(s) BFG GeForce 7900 GTX OC 512mb GDDR3 ram (o/c manually to 686 core/865 memory) - PhaseChange cooled
Storage Dual "Raptor X" 16mb 10krpm/RAID 0 Promise EX8350 x4 PCIe 128mb & Intel IO chip/CENATEK RocketDrive
Display(s) SONY 19" Trinitron MultiScan 400ps 1600x1200 75hz refresh 32-bit color
Case Antec Super-LanBoy (aluminum baby-tower w/ lower front & upper rear cooling exhaust fans)
Audio Device(s) RealTek AC97 onboard mobo stereo sound (Altec Lansing ACS-45 speakers - 10 yrs. still running!)
Power Supply Antec 500w ATX 2.0 "SmartPower" powersupply
Software Windows Server 2003 SP #1 fully patched, & massively tuned/tweaked to-the-max (plus latest drivers)
The problem? THE STOCK MARKET & lack of single ownership

oldschool said:

Agreed, & get used to it - as long as their is a stock market, all the shareholders want is "MORE PROFIT PER QUARTER"...

Sure, making money? It's PART of the "name of the game" in business, or why else be in it, right??

STILL - there's limits to how far it can go & the U.S. economy isn't what it used to be, because of it... read on:

:(

Unions used to "level" that playing field, not anymore it seems, thanks to Mr. Reagan beginning the trend that "broke them" with the air-traffic controllers.

What I don't understand is, when you cut off disposable income from the end-user/consumer, who is going to be able to buy your product, especially if it is a "want" product, not a "need" one?

("want" products being products above & beyond food in your mouth & your electricity/gas bills)

The stock market IS the "problem" imo @ least folks - boards of directors (usually top investors & mgt.) scream @ mgt. "make us more cash, OR you too, are GONE!"... this begins your inevitable 'cost-cutting' cycle!

What is the EASIEST single thing to control? Wages & payroll!

(Layoffs/downsizings, in other words, are the usual gateway to this, & that means cutting yet again, more jobs, not just payrates).

What's that in turn cause & compound, again?

The inability to buy, due to lack of disposable income on the consumer/end-user's part...

Thus, THAT in turn, means no corporate inventories sell off either, & more of the same starts, yet again (layoffs, firings, etc./et all).

Too much "laissez-faire" doesn't take into account 1 part of human nature: GREED!

It harms the 'whole herd' in the end...

All these economists & their "service-economy" theories I used to tell my prof.'s in the early 1980's (when this whole lunacy started) would NEVER work out right in the end!

I.E. - most guys don't want to be a desk-jockey, for 1 thing, it's NOT for everyone. It's not a "lack of intelligence" either, it's more of a lifestyle choice (put your job down @ the end of the day, instead of stressing on it (this is part of what I HATE about what I do in fact)).

Plus, You can only have so many chiefs to far more indians, & somebody has to do actual production work AND IN YOUR OWN NATION (so the monies are spent back into the system, internally (you can't run a car/economic engine, w/out pouring gas into it @ times/disposable income)).

This basic simple concept's been lost (pay your workers well & by the largest number of them & they WILL spend on YOUR goods, YOUR COMPANY PRODUCES, allowing you to create & sell yet MORE inventories of product) & the world economic structure's had the wool pulled over its eyes with this latest way of doing things imo...

It's harmful in the end to the good of the whole.

I told my prof.'s this, had 1 actually threaten me with failure of his course for disagreeing with him, & in the end I did well, but made a wager with him that in 20-30 years time, the b.s. he read @ us in "theory" would fall apart in practice... & it surely has.

APK

P.S.=> The problem? The stock market... gone are the days of 1 single man owning & controlling a company as the PRIMARY & controlling stockholder! That type of guy actually wants to "build that better mousetrap" & has to answer to NOBODY... privately held companies have an advantage here imo, as far as longevity & stability.

Folks that control a company solely, imo, usually have it as a goal to keep that company around for their heirs too, & not just as a money maker in the short term.

(Bill Gates iirc, is example + exception to the 'current rule' of massive joint-ownership via stocks, & look HOW WELL Ms has done for 2 years under his wing/control - speaks for itself)...

E.G.-> Gates actually still gives a damn imo, & because it is HIS company!

(& not some card hand in the stock market lap being played out... which is ALL a company is in some investor's stock portfolio, & nothing more!)... apk

Last edited: