1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

ROG SWIFT PG278Q Official release tracking thread.

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Hitman_Actual, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
  2. Solation New Member

Thanks Received:
    I recently contacted ASUS directly about purchasing these and here is a copy of the e-mail i received back.

"Dear Sir,

These aren’t available yet. I would say ETA is around June time.

Kindest Regards,

Asustek UK"

Sadly a few more months of waiting in my opinion

Hitman_Actual says thanks.
  3. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    Im more interested in their new 4k 28" 1ms 10 bit 60hz screen for $799. Competitive option to Samsungs Ud590.

RCoon says thanks.
  4. Solation New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah saw that posted today, looks pretty nice tbh. Have had my heart set on a PG278Q for quite some time though.

5. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    Yes, I they told me on twitter June'ish as well but that just an estimate.

I'm hoping for a May release.

I'm all about G-sync. It's hard to play games now on non Gsync....saddens me

6. Solation New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have only seen them at a few show, sadly haven't had the chance to actually have a good gaming session on one so hoping it lives upto the hype.

7. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    As a user of G-sync I speak from experience and have to say it exceeds the hype and exceeded my initial expectations.

8. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
  9. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
  10. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    Meh while I could be interested by G-Sync this is TN and low resolution for what I'd want in a monitor nowadays.

11. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    This is a gaming monitor for Gamers.

12. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    So gamers should compromise? There are plenty fast VA or IPS panels floating around, the difference in response time is not a game changer when it's under one frame input of lag.

Variable refresh rate can be easily implemented on non-TN technologies, this seems more like an excuse from ASUS to charge more for their rubbish TN panels.

THE_EGG says thanks.
  13. MxPhenom 216

MxPhenom 216 Corsair Fanboy

Thanks Received:
    I just think you are paid by Nvidia to say that.

14. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    Yah lol they should be paying me. I can't say enough about it.

low refresh rate even with G-sync is still not as desirable as high.

low refresh rate even with G-sync is still not as desirable as high.

your not a gamer so it seems you don't understand.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 29, 2014
  15. Devon68

Devon68

Thanks Received:
    G-sync is overrated and not everyone needs it.

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  16. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    well Gsync is for people who game or care about gaming. If your not a gamer then G-sync is not necessary for you.

This thread is about G-sync and the ROG swift.

Kindly leave and troll else where if your here just to talk sh1T

17. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    The issue is that G-SYNC is only really useful between 30-60 FPS. Below 30 it makes things worse, and above monitor refresh is discarded anyway. That doesn't make G-SYNC for people that CARE about gaming...I care about gaming so much I buy games I never play, just to simply support the industry and the devs that make gaming content.

People expressing their opinion isn't trolling. It's just that everyone really wants IPS monitors for the excellent color. Many of us older gamers have the money to afford the extra cost of having an IPS panel in the SWIFT, as well as ignore it because it doesn't have one. If you are going to have a fancy monitor.. then fit it with ALL the bells and whistles...not just a couple. TN panels are fast enough for G-SYNC to be useless if you have enough GPU power.

So, you can spend a bit more on your monitor, and have a slightly less powerful VGA...which makes the SWIFT a questionable purchase.

That said, the ASUS monitors that I have used have been some of the best ever, so I am a bit eager to get my hands on one and see how my tri-SLI GTX780 Ti rig is going to benefit from this. If it's really good, then I might buy three!

MxPhenom 216 says thanks.
  18. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    This thread is about following the release of the ROG SWIFT

having read your statement, I don't think you've ever used a G-sync monitor.

"G-SYNC is only really useful between 30-60 FPS. Below 30 it makes things worse, and above monitor refresh is discarded anyway. That doesn't make G-SYNC for people
    that CARE about gaming...I care about gaming so much I buy games I never play, just to simply support the industry and the devs that make gaming content."

If you knew what you were talking about or have actually experienced Gsync you would never had made such an idiotic claim.

19. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Um, have you read nvidia's literature about G-SYNC? It's used to sync the monitor's output with the VGA's output, eliminating tearing and lag.

All the info is here:

http://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/g-sync/faq

And yes, I was one of those that bought the DIY kit for the ASUS VG248.

The thing is, over 60 Hz doesn't have lag or tearing for me, and under 30 FPS, G-SYNC makes things worse. I am more than willing to say that maybe I did the mod wrong, or what because it was a mod, and not a properly designed monitor, that the issues I saw were due to that, so like you, I am interested in this monitor, as my opinion right now is that I'd rather buy a more expensive GPU and an IPS panel than invest in G-SYNC. There's no denying that it's useful, but for me as a high-end user...it's not useful ENOUGH.

Do keep in mind this is my rig:

[​IMG]

Animalpak says thanks.
  20. radrok

radrok

Thanks Received:
    More like it doesn't give you an edge or make you a better player, simple as that.

If you are a competitive player then just buy a fast refreshing monitor, disable Vsync and you are set.

This is backed up by years of competitive gaming, heck I'm still playing competitive TF2 and I'm diamond rank in league so w/e.

21. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    Oh look we're sharing pictures now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. 64K

Thanks Received:
    I have to say I am really interested in this monitor. It has more features that are desirable besides just G-Sync. It's supposed to be 120 Hz and 1 ms response time and though it is a TN panel it's supposed to be a very nice one. I am curious to see what buyers have to say about it when it's available. We'll see.

23. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:

Anything below 30fps doesn't feel good. not even with Gsync.

I have 2 rigs. please see my signature and rig specs and pics.

Now I prefer to play game in the higher refresh rate/fps

I cannot stand for tearing and V-sync causes way too many negative results.

even in the 90+FPS range with or with out Vsync on there are negative attributes. Tearing with Vsync off, Stuttering and input lag with Vsync on.

Gsync eliminates all those negative attributes and allows the GPU/CPU to run wide open. Ive tested the G-SYNC: ASUS VG248QE
    on both my rigs. the single 780 on a 4.6ghz 3930k and with my SLI titans on a 4930k @4.6ghz

Not even with SLI titans on a 4930k can you maintain a rock solid 120fps/hz

and for me that is where G-sync shines on my SLI rig.

Now on my Single 780 rig Gsync really shines. I can go from 144 fps/hz and drop down into the 40fps/hz range (which before Gsync would not be acceptable to me) and it feels awesome. yes you can tell things are moving slower but the responsiveness and zero input lag and no tearing make it palpable.

cadaveca says thanks.
  24. Hitman_Actual

Hitman_Actual

Thanks Received:
    No one ever said anything about an edge. it's about a visual and feel experiance. No input lag, no stuttering, no tearing.

All of which some say they've never experience. I have 2 high end rigs. neither of them can maintain a solid 120hz so Gsync is very important to my gaming experience.

If you play BF3 or 4 I'd gladly meet you on the field any day.

25. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:

Yeah, man, I'm not saying G-SYNC is bad...it is just that it's not for everyone. I myself am interested, having used it a lot. But even for me, as a graphics snob, G-SYNC has limited uses and as such, is almost more confining than anything.

I've chosen to be a multi-monitor gamer, rather than having super-high FPS. that's why G-SYNC @ lower FPS is interesting to me. I'd love for G-SYNC to be useful in that situation, too.

Not everyone likes the same stuff, and people with different opinions than your own aren't necessarily saying you're wrong in your opinion... just that theirs differs. You and I are both interested in this monitor, but I think for different reasons. and I still want IPS panel, TN is like 2005 or even earlier tech. I notice TN dithering, and it makes me feel ill.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2014