1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rosewill Hercules 1600 W

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by crmaris, Aug 27, 2013.

1. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2013
    m1dg3t and adulaamin say thanks.
  2. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    Needs a thumbs up for nostalgia. Hercules need to re-enter the GPU market (semi-off topic)
    $400 is way too expensive for my pocket unfortunately.

3. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Had a Hercules VGA around 10 years ago. Don't remember the model any more :D

4. Svarog

Svarog

Thanks Received:
    For that price you would atleast expect a fully modular design with properly all black cables.

Not to mention it's only Silver.

5. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    I had one of the 3D Prophet cards - ATi 9700 Pro. great card back in its day. Hercules was with us until just after the ATi 9800 series came out then they just completely withdrew from the market. They make audiophile gear now.....

6. Assimilator

Assimilator

Thanks Received:
    I guess this PSU is useful for that 1 guy who will buy an eATX server board with 8 PCIE x16 slots and drop in 8 7970s with waterblocks, to mine Bitcoins or crack password hashes. Seriously, who else is going to use SIXTEEN PCIE power connectors? Madness!

Have to compliment the OEM though; to get such performance out of a dated design is quite a feat. Makes one wonder (hope) if they could release an up-to-date design that competes with Seasonic's best.

7. Stefan Payne New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't agree with your scoring.

Your PSU is either defective or something else. Because it has an 80plus badge, it has to maintain a powerfactor of at least 0.90.

So either there is a problem with this unit or it failed miserabely. I'd rather not score something broken...

As for the +12V Rail distribution: That doesn't make sense at all. Why not make a good 6 or 8 rail unit? Oh wait, that would cost more and somebody had to think about wich cable goes to what rail. So it's way cheaper this way.

8. johnnyfiive

johnnyfiive

Thanks Received:
    The hundreds of people with SR-2's or dual processor setups.

9. Animalpak

Animalpak

Thanks Received:
    In other words... A Nuclear plant.

10. Akrian

Akrian

Thanks Received:
    Whaaat? Rosewill made something that actually works well ?

11. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    I strongly disagree :) 80 Plus tests with 115VAC while I test with 230VAC. And with 115VAC PF is significantly increased. Also PF doesn't play a role here since it doesn't affect normal consumers and of course doesn't affect performance. If this was an industrial product then I wouldn't give a score.

For the power distribution I agree that it is weird but still it didn't give me any trouble while testing. And I pushed the unit real hard!

12. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Every Rosewill PSU I tested so far is great, since their OEM is mostly Super Flower. The same OEM that makes now Antec, Be Quiet and the new EVGA PSUs.

Also their mechanical keyboards are considered among the best, and mech keyb fans are really hard to satisfy. For the rest of their products I don't know since I haven't checked any of them.

13. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    Remembered my card. I had a 9800 Pro :D Really great VGA back at this time.

14. Stefan Payne New Member

Thanks Received:
    Still, the Powerfactor should be better.

And I don't think that this PSU may be sold inside the EU with such low power factor.

Anyway: I think your unit may be defective, have you informed the manufacturer and asked for a second sample?

15. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    For the PF! Nope I asked for another one to check the fan profile. But shipping from US to my country is a real headache due to strict customs. I was lucky enough the first package went through.. Also availability on these ones as they told me is very limited (at least for review samples).

16. Champ

Champ

Thanks Received:
    I always thought of Rosewill as a mid to low end company. I learned something new today. Checked out the website and didn't realize they had as much as they do.

17. HammerON

HammerON The Watchful Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Interesting and powerful PSU:)
    Nice review (as always crmaris):toast:

Crunching for Team TPU
  18. Joe Public

Joe Public

Thanks Received:
    Rosewill PSUs have been generally good for a long time now. Though this unit is too large and too pricey imo. There are better choices out there.

19. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    They have? Correct me if I am wrong, but most of their line was laughed at until recently (a year or so?). NOW they are making decent PSUs. Otherwise, people steered clear of those things.

20. Fourstaff

Fourstaff Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Fixed that for you. They have been making a lot of no frills products these days which just works, for good value. You can probably provide counterexamples of course, but those can be easily avoided with a bit of reading.

21. Jstn7477

Jstn7477

Thanks Received:
    I have two Rosewill RG530s (the old ones before they went Bronze) as well as a Rosewill CAPSTONE Gold 550w that have all served me well. I've also purchased numerous other Rosewill products such as cases, earbuds, a network switch, IR wireless adapters, etc. and the only defective device I have received is a 4 port KVM that has a defective third cable, but I got it on sale and the other three inputs work so I haven't bothered RMAing it.

Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. EarthDog

EarthDog

Thanks Received:
    True. At CES I found they sold everything BUT the kitchen sink (due 4Q 2014 :laugh:),

They are a good value for their products. But speaking within the context of this thread and the posts, their PSU's have only recently been worth a look, versus say Corsair and Seasonics line where you could know nothing and get a decent to great PSU. :toast:

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  23. crmaris

crmaris Reviewer

Thanks Received:
    they use for quite long now Super Flower which is one of the best OEMs out there. It is all has to do with the OEM you use since none of these companies made the PSUs by themselves, except for very few cases like Enermax, Inwin, Seasonic etc.

EarthDog says thanks.