1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Router for torrents

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by dinjo_jo, Sep 13, 2010.

1. dinjo_jo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Can anyone recommend me a router which has support for utorrent, looked at

Buffalo WZR-HP-G300NH
    ASUS WL-520gU

Also how do they work , the UI and all as i would be keeping it on without PC as storage can be done on a USB stick and later on transfer files to PC.

2. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    As long as it's for *legal* torrents :laugh:
    I'd recommend anything from Netgear - they're the easiest I've ever found to forward ports with.
    On a side note, there's the Automatic Port Forwarding program from majorgeeks, I found this in 2008; I've used it hundreds of times over the last 2 years and it's great.

Just my opinion, I'm not a pro so someone may come in here now and say Netgear's are made by the Government to track you...

3. MoonPig

MoonPig

Thanks Received:
    Do you mean a Router with a built-in torrent client? Or a router that's easy to configure to allow for torrenting?

scaminatrix says thanks.
  4. scaminatrix

scaminatrix

Thanks Received:
    Ah, good point Moonpig, I missed that. I've never heard of one of them

*goes googling*

EDIT: dinjo, are you sure about a router with an OS that can download even when your PC's off? Neither the Buffalo or the ASUS ones you mentioned seem to do that...

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  5. caleb

Thanks Received:
    I'd always pick an openwrt supported device as this is the best possible platform for a nice seed box. Didn't know utorrent works on routers ?! Anyways openwrt has a few clients from which i think Transmission is the best.

Look around their pages theres a supported list or search the forum.
    http://openwrt.org/

This OS is rock solid, been using this for 5 years now through 3 versions of it and I'm very happy with how it works as a router+seedbox. One thing Id suggest is looking at transfer rates from the router > Lan because this is often a huge bottleneck like in my case wl500gp.

PS. Don't base your choice on product pages, instead read the openwrt forums for opinions or ask for one.

scaminatrix says thanks.
  6. dinjo_jo New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yes there are builtin torrent support and yes you can switch off the PC.Both mentioned above does have torrent support but was looking for a better one as Asus one needs to be flashed with Tomato Firmware.

scaminatrix says thanks.