1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

router or workgroup switch

Discussion in 'Networking & Security' started by Samdbugman, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    i want to run a lan cable to my tv and blue ray player. since it will be wired, do i need a router, or just a work group switch? i dont want or need to go wireless right now, and if i do get a router does it have to bw a broadband router? thanks ahead of time for such a noobish question.:toast: and :respect:

2. KieX

Thanks Received:
    Samdbugman says thanks.
  3. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    thanks! much cheaper that way. and as always this site rocks!

4. KieX

Thanks Received:
    You might find cheaper ones though, I'm not too familiar with US prices. And CAT 5e cable should be quite cheap to buy too.

5. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
  6. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    thanks to both of you, but looking at the pictures of both units, i dont see a port to plug in the modem so it can share the internet. do i judt plug it into any port and it shares it with the other ports? i know routers and work group switches have a boldly labeled in port, go im all confused. sorry, but im not the brightest bulb on the tree.

7. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Basicaly a switch is just a smart repeater, connecting a device to a switch that is connected to the router is the same as connecting the device to the router directly. No need to configure anything whatsoever,

8. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    ok, so i do need a router? im all confused. lol

9. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
  10. temp02 New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can always put static IPs and gateway adresses on all computers/devices manually, but getting a router would simplify the job yes, since DHCP assigns the IP address for each computer/device automaticaly. If you do get a router I would advise getting one that has all of the above: modem, "switch" (as in more than 1 port), router and wireless (you might need it latter on).

11. Samdbugman

Thanks Received:
    thanks! i know what the hell i need now, lol. i appericiate not getting belittled for asking these sort of questions, and the patience everyone shows. im in the usa so i will start looking at newegg. that place is starting to be addictive. thanks and have a great day!

IggSter says thanks.