1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Royal Queen R9 280X overclock?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by Manuela, Jun 18, 2014.

1. Manuela New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi there,

I'm create new account here in the forum and would like to make direct inquiries to one times the experienced over takter here.

I have a Royal Queen R9 280X and would like to overclock it but I find nowhere an image of what I could use or I'm too stupid ^ ^

Would be glad if someone could give a hint with respect to a suitable Image me and possibly still other tips to optimize the performance of the card.

Kind regards
    Manuela

sorry my bad englisch^^

2. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    Download the latest build of MSI Afterburner (google it) and play around with the clock speeds until you find a setting that offers 100% stability (use games and benchmarks to test this) with a good balance of speed / heat and voltage (if the latter is adjustable).

3. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

Welcome to TPU

+1 Xaser04 ; MSI Afterburner

Factors to be built in to the OC process
    -Fabrication process of the GPU [differs from one to another some OC well and other not so well]
    -[General Rule of Thumb]; to find out the max OC, increase 5~10Mhz on core in stages test at each stage, if the system freezes you have gone to far, lower the OC by 40Mhz and then start the same process with the MEM increase 5~10Mhz once you get artifacts back the OC down by 40Mhz; Use GPU-Z to keep an eye on VRM Temps these can rise quickly when OC's are applied Keep these between 70~80c : 85c Max]
    -Adjust vga card fan speed manualy
    -Be aware that some games do not like OC's and testing with each game as well as benchmarks is nessasary
    -Make sure the drivers are stable; if they are unstable they will crash the OC
    -Check that the motherboard is setup and chipset drivers are up to date [Run CPU and MEM at default speeds while testing vga card OC]

Note: use MSI Afterburner, Sapphire Trixx or other software to OC

Edit: if get a chance go here ; fill in system specs brand names, models and OS

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jul 17, 2014
  4. Capitan Harlock

Capitan Harlock

Thanks Received:
  5. Manuela New Member

Thanks Received:
    thx for fast answers, my wish is to do it without software i will make an bios update and hope its for every time without need MSI or TriXX will have it permanent.
    thx for help and nice answer

6. Law-II

Law-II

Thanks Received:
    Hi

First
    Test the vga cards OC ability using software

First things First
    Make a backup of the original vbios image: use GPU-Z
    Example
    Extract vga bios.jpg
    Select: Bios Icon Select: Save to file [save as vbios.rom] [**keep a copy in a safe place**]

Last
    If vga card is stable with OC in all windows applications; programs and games; then and only then consider flashing to higher core and mem 3d clocks

atb

Law-II

Last edited: Jun 18, 2014
  7. ChristTheGreat

ChristTheGreat

Thanks Received:
    the best thing is to start first with software, to know what is the limit of your card.

Personnaly, I start with the Catalyst control center, slider power to 20% and start overclocking by step of 20-30mhz. When it crashes in 3dmark, I lower until I find the maximum stable, then drop of 10-20. then after I can see if I go with voltage modification or not.

Then when you have the clocks you want, you modify the bios then flas hit! :)

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. patrico

patrico

Thanks Received:
    Hi Manuela welcome! :),

yep deffo use software first to see what your card can handle,with a software overclock you can easliy adjust on the fly to test the limits of your card, then change the bios using that information,

9. Xaser04

Xaser04

Thanks Received:
    Use Afterburner and simply set a profile with your desired clocks which can be accessed at the touch of a button. I really don't see the point in flashing the bios when you have this option. You will want to use the software to monitor your framerate, temps, GPU usage anyway.

Whatever you do; DON'T flash the bios with clocks you havn't thoroughly tested first.

To me flashing the bios should only be required if offers something you otherwise can't do with standard software - like flashing a specific vendor bios which allows voltage control.

For example my GTX780m will overclock to 980/6000 using MSI Afterburner alone. To get these clocks I just select a profile when the application loads (or set the profile to load with Windows). If I want to clock further or adjust voltages I need to flash the bios to unlock these features as they are not available via the normal software methods.