1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RPG Suggestions

Discussion in 'Games' started by TechPowerDown, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    League of Legends :banghead: that's a kind of game like DotA not a RPG :banghead:

2. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    yups square are really master of RPG

front mission (coming for PC soon)

last remnant

FF8 (for PC, its the most romantic FF i ever played)

Solaris17 says thanks.
  3. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    GayRPGs, I mean JRPGs are not role playing games.

Faith[ROG].Anarchy says thanks.
  4. Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Faith[ROG].Anarchy

Thanks Received:
    Not a pure RPG gotta say, J-RPGs does have some Turn-based Strategy style in it :D

BababooeyHTJ says thanks.
  5. NinkobEi

NinkobEi

Thanks Received:
    Front Mission looks more like a mech FPS game than a RPG.

for old-schoolish RPG I'd try out Deadly Sin 1 and 2. great stuff

6. Kreij

Kreij Senior Monkey Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You can't really call yourself an RPG fanboi if you have not played Planescape: Torment and The Temple of Elemental Evil.

I've got more RPG games than anything else. :rockout:

7. Never heard of it :wtf:

8. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    They are both RPG genre classics.
    Betrayal at Krondor (DOS) is another, as is it's sequel Betrayal in Antara (Win3.1).

Getting a bit old school here, which is why many of you never heard of them. :laugh:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    love FF8 my personal fav.

also "jRPG's" are RPG's they defined the line game and game again. we do not have such a track record.

10. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    I've never heard of it either . . . . . FF8 was one of my faves too and no matter what anyone says I say it was probably one of the best FF games ever besides FFX(including FF7)

only other turn based game I can think of on pc besides the ones mentioned is magna carta, its not very good but its one.

11. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    :wtf: Blasphemy

What exactly makes a JRPG an rpg? The linear stat building? The linear storyline? The first RPG that I ever played was an Ultima title. That was before square was around.

12. FF8 was my least favourite, besides X-2 which wasn't really an independant tittle.

Again ff8 was my least favourite, from most liked to least liked it would have to go
    FF7, FFX, FF9, FF13, FF12, FF8, FF X-2 :)banghead:)

13. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    which one was first doesn't really matter, what matters is which titles made "RPG's" in general popular, it was pretty much dungeons and dragons early on, then it turned somewhat and is becoming moreso RPG's more like FF, but you look at something like FF13, its more like a controllable movie and I hope RPG's don't turn the way square did there.

14. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    thats the first I have seen someone rank them in that order.

dam double post:banghead:

15. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Pool of Radiance, Icewind Dale.

16. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    first their role playing games. you think to far into it. thats like saying zork isnt an RPG when comparing it to morrowind or FF an RPG is an RPG. you play a character and you play to watch how their world unfolds and is ultimately realized. Do you even like RPG's? I couldnt see how you would if you criticize and categorize every game. your a character. you play through a story. theirs no jrpg arpg german rpg chinese rpg canadian russian croation RPG its an RPG end of story. you dont like a game fine.

17. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    Ultima is great.

Atari is going to announce a new Neverwinter Nights game. there has been rumors about a Neverwinter Nights MMORPG.

I wasn't happy with Obsidian and Neverwinter Nights 2 but I like the original Neverwinter Nights and the 3rd edition ruleset. Neverwinter Nights is a little linear and not as epic as Baldur's Gate series but still a great game.

BababooeyHTJ says thanks.
  18. BababooeyHTJ New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm going to preorder Elemental War of Magic. Honestly this looks like it's going to rock. Plus it's only like two weeks away.

No, that makes it an adventure game. I don't like an "RPG" where I have no control over what I do, dialog, how my character advances, etc. Even the loot in most of those games kind of sucks. Borderlands is more of an RPG than any FF game.

I've enjoyed a few FF games like 3(6),7, and tactics but they don't touch a solid crpg like Planescape.

IDK, I actually kind of enjoyed NWN2. I'm pretty happy to hear that there is a squeal in the works. Lets hope that it's a PC exclusive.

19. You just blew my mind :twitch:

20. Solaris17

Thanks Received:
    what?

21. That was the most amazing RPG defense of the titles scorch i've ever seen

22. Kreij

Thanks Received:
    Solaris is right. Technically any game that you take on the role of someone else, which is almost every game other than puzzle or board type games, is a roleplaying game. People can argue over the term "true rpg", but that really just boils down to the level of character customization that is written into the game. Whether you have detail control over your character's stats and abilities or not, you are roleplaying.

There are really two things that make a game for me. The customizability of the character(s) and the ability to not have to follow a scripted storyline (open world) and just explore. For instance, Oblivion.
    NWN2 is fun, but as said before, linear. That, however, is pretty common among roleplaying games as really only Bethesda has worked on perfecting a true "sandbox" RPG.

Solaris17 says thanks.
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I expected Neverwinter Nights 2 to be linear I mean there were sub-plots in the Baldur's Gate series that were more entertaining than the plot in the original Neverwinter Nights, but one thing I didn't mention was my distaste for the upgraded Aurora Engine Obsidian used I think they call it the Electron Engine now. in my opinion the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset makes for the best RPG experience. I like the continuity between Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, Novels, etc in the Forgotten Realms.

24. Thats alot

25. So i have concluded the The Last Remnant will infact, hopefully hold me over till FF14, that and my college classes at COT-C