1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rumor: Bungie Studios to Leave Microsoft?

Discussion in 'News' started by zekrahminator, Oct 2, 2007.

1. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    According to someone who works in Bungie, as of yesterday, Bungie is no longer working for or with Microsoft. Their proof of this lies within Bungie's global address book. If you ask any employee of Bungie to find any Microsoft contacts in that address book, you will find nothing. If this is true, Microsoft will post the press release on October 6th, to avoid affecting quarterly results. Microsoft is also rumored to keep the entire Halo franchise. The same Bungie employee has this to say regarding why Microsoft and Halo may have split:
    Neither company has confirmed or denied any of this. We will have to wait until October 6th to see anything official.

Source: 8BitJoystick

2. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    No big suprise there, it was only a matter of time.

Does no one remember that Halo was initially unveiled by Steve Jobs as a Mac-only title years ago, as an example of the upcoming greatness of the (IIRC) G3 macs? That prompted MS to buy up the whole company and turn them into a Xbos/PC only company.

Prior to Halo, Bungie did the Marathon series, a very good Mac-only FPS.

3. HellasVagabond New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hasnt MS boughtoff Bungie ? If so how can they "leave" MS ?

4. zekrahminator

zekrahminator McLovin

Thanks Received:
    We'll have to wait until October 6th to find out :).

5. TUngsten

TUngsten

Thanks Received:
    I don't pretend to know the specifics of their deal, but since "Bungie" still exists as an entity under the MS umbrella, I guess that they might be able to split but they'd likely leave a serious amount of their IP behind. IE Halo in it's entirety.

6. jocksteeluk

jocksteeluk New Member

Thanks Received:
    The 13th room on the 13th floor of the 13th buildi
    well you never know MS owns the Bungie brand name and the game rights but the employees would no doubt be free to go and set up their own private enterprise which could possibly be what they are planning on doing. If Halo was produced by Rare since MS own them i think Bungie would be almost forgotten.

7. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
    its a rumor its posted on a lot of websites already...microsoft OWNS Bungie...as i they own the name and the people in it.....

Don't forget this "blog" that someone "wrote" also wrote blogs about how much they hate microsoft and Halo and all that good stuff...

8. nflesher87

nflesher87 Staff

Thanks Received:
    lol wow

9. Weer New Member

Thanks Received:
    Shouldn't they have left BEFORE the launch of Halo 3?
    Now they won't make any money off of it because Microsoft still owns all the rights.

Maybe they were just using Microsoft to promote Halo 3 and now they want to start their company up again from scratch and create a new franchise..

10. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Either way, MS hyped the Halo franchise so much and in effect created a game that launched their console. There will be many more "Bungies" in the future of the Xbox.

11. joinmeindeath417

joinmeindeath417 New Member

Thanks Received:
  12. effmaster

effmaster New Member

Thanks Received:
    I wouldnt mind a new IP from Bungie Microsoft:D:D:D

Seriously Microsoft enough with halo we all love it but lets get on with new IP's with great new storylines.:rockout::rockout::rockout:

13. Sovereign

Sovereign New Member

Thanks Received:
    Oh yeah! I definitely remember Marathon and their earlier game, Pathways Into Darkness! This put Apple on the face of the map as far as gaming is concerned! Bungie single handedly changed peoples prospective regarding apple as just a artsy/graphics design computer and showed the world that great games do exist and exist souly for the Mac platform! The day Microsoft ripped Bungie out from under Apple's nose (nothing new here, see windows OS) was devistating to Apple and probably more so than they ever realized.

Bungie pretty much made XBOX what it is. I seriously hope this story is true, I'm so sick of the way microsoft treats Apple and I'm not even a fan of Apple!!! :twitch:

14. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    They may have only purchased the interactive rights and left Bungies as its own entity under the MS umbrella, in case something like this were to happen.