1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rumor: Playstation 4 Coming in 2012

Discussion in 'Games' started by CDdude55, Jul 6, 2011.

1. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6322385/playstation-4-arriving-in-2012?tag=topstory;title

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20110704PD202.html
    yogurt_21 and Funtoss say thanks.
  2. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    I heard about this at the start of 2011 lol

I wonder what new features PS4 is gonna have..

I dont have a PS3 though :L
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2011
  3. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
  4. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    This would be moronic. Consumers aren't ready to spend for it, sony isn't ready to take another ps3 launched sized hit to the pocket. This just isn't good market for a new console.
    digibucc says thanks.
  5. ShiBDiB

ShiBDiB

Thanks Received:
    Bleh... F this motion control, 3d gaming, BS... Gimme a controller anyday.
  6. Phxprovost

Phxprovost Xtreme Refugee

Thanks Received:
    people like to rabble about this and i don't understand why, Apple is proof alone that people have absolutely no problem dropping hundreds of dollars on electronics year after year yet when it comes to game consoles ~400$ every ~5 years is to much? :wtf: really? i don't get it, people act like buying a console is like buying a house yet have no problem burning through all the disposable electronics of today :rolleyes:
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    Its the games/accessories that make consoles ridiculously expensive. Most titles are moving to $60 each.
    Completely Bonkers says thanks.
    Crunching for Team TPU
  8. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    2012 seems a bit early, unless they have been developing this new system for years.
    2012 they have a lot of franchises still running and the PS Vita releasing soon! I think they should wait until late 2013 or 2014.

Still its a rumour and nothing solid yet.
  9. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    Really doubt this as they had planned for someone to do manufacturing and then that fell through and I remember hearing about that earlier this year I believe. I don't agree a ton with people not willing to spend the money, because I think they will. But I do think they need to beat the next Xbox to the market. But I think they should not release a $250+ handheld and new console in the same year. Let people digest the handheld in 2012, make it connect with the PS4 in tons of cool way, then land the PS4 in 2013 to give it more depth with the hand held. Would be the smartest move business wise.
  10. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    PS3 controllers only cost $45 and you get one with the console. Move bundle $80 and it's optional. Razer and Saitek sell more expensive mice. you can buy new/used, rent or trade PS3 titles and they drop to $40 pretty quick.
  11. LAN_deRf_HA

LAN_deRf_HA

Thanks Received:
    Because people recall the dreamcast. So many at the time would say they weren't buying one because it was too much $$ too soon. They wanted to wait, and they did. It got passed over for just about everything else that came out a little later. Xbox, gamecube, ps2. The other things of note are the consumer atmosphere is a lot worse now than in the past, and new consoles tend to cost more at launch each gen. You really think anyone wants to buy some $800 PS4 when the PS3 is just beginning to hit it's stride? When so many are satisfied with current consoles? There's no reason for Sony to go making a new console before the PS3 truly succeeds the PS2 sales levels. Microsoft and Sony would do well to just wait for the Wii U to flounder in this middle of the road market with it's expensive gimmicks, letting it take on the role of the new dreamcast so they can both dominate at a more appropriate time.
  12. TIGR

Thanks Received:
    Give me a keyboard and mouse any day.

About there not being a market for it: I don't know if that was a reference to the economic recession, but if so, its impact on console sales is not so simple. Back at the end of '08, some called the gaming industry recession-proof. 2009 may have been a down year for gaming but Sony says that in 2010 PS3 sales numbered 47.9 million and with increased traffic to the PlayStation store revenue was up 70%. During hard financial times, it seems we Americans in particular buy more, not less unnecessary things.
    shlesscamp and Lionheart say thanks.
  13. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    http://saveandquitgaming.com/2011/0...icate-2014-for-new-consoles-nintendo-in-2012/
  14. Easy Rhino

Easy Rhino Linux Advocate

Thanks Received:
    the only reason i own a ps3 is for the media streaming and bluray player. ive had it since the beginning and have been very pleased with it. i do 99% of gaming on the pc. since the ps4 doesnt offer anything new (that we have heard of so far) in the realm of media playback i dont see myself buying one.
  15. theoneandonlymrk

theoneandonlymrk

Thanks Received:
    dx11 quality+(maybe) Graphics for a start:) happy times r coming
  16. Jaffakeik

Jaffakeik

Thanks Received:
    i hope it wont come out next year than i have no point on buying new wii
  17. kurosagi01

kurosagi01

Thanks Received:
    I got feeling the PS4 and new microsoft console will be released in 2014 or 2015,theirs still load of titles being produced for the current gen consoles for 2012.
    Also they only released their so called add-ons they want keep that going for couple years for sure for marketing.
  18. WhiteNoise

WhiteNoise

Thanks Received:
    I highly doubt we will see it released in 2012 but either way I don't care. I'll gladly buy the PS4 when it does release. I'd buy it today if I could.

The one thing I really hope to see is a PS4 that can play PS3 titles so I don't have to keep both systems.
  19. KainXS

KainXS

Thanks Received:
    ps4 coming in 2012, . . . . . . . I don't believe it, they still need to make money and making a new console right now would be stupid. even though I want them to

you know nintendo has sold enough wii's to move on(they're like the apple of game consoles) and still make sales like sony did with the ps2 even after the ps3's release, but sony and microsoft have not, and will they ever get 100 million units sold, it took the ps2 about 4 or 5 years after launch, to get 100 million units sold and after the ps3 released it only sold about 50 - 55 million units for the next 6 years, ps3 and 360 haven't even hit 55 million units and they have been out about about 5 to 6 years now, and when when the wii U hits they will sell less, so the ps3 will almost definitely not outsell the ps2 period, neither will the 360. Even if both the 360 and ps3 sold 20 million units every year for the next 4 years to the believed launch date of the ps4 it still wouldn't happen.

consoles do cost more now but if the 360 launched in 2001 it would have sold for about 300 instead of 400 for the premium.

inflation's sucks dosen't it:(.
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2011
  20. Completely Bonkers New Member

Thanks Received:
    I bought an Xbox360 Kinect for Christmas. Spent nearly the same again on Kinect games. Probably had a total of 10 hours gameplay. Boring. Not used anymore. I got the Kinect because I had been waiting for PS3 GT5 for so long... and gave up. And lost interest. Kinect was the new "motivator". I wonder what PS4 has got to offer to get people excited? It will definitely have to be PS3 compatible, or have an full emulator. It could help pick up sales. Console sales have really tailed off.
  21. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I read somewhere that it will be sorta PlayStation 3.5. You know a PlayStation3 with some motion gimmick bandwagon stuff. Not an entirely new console.

But I agree Sony would be kinda stupid to release a new console so fast. Needless to say I'd still buy the new PS when it hits the market but thats a different story. I'm comfortable waiting for this event to happen in 2013 or so.

Oh and whats the use of an uber console if the games for it suck. Thiss will be like PS3 launch - its titles looked like the latest PS2 titles back then. I mean I own PS3 games that look worse than some PS2 games.
  22. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    that's why backwards compatibility is key, so you still get all the reported titles, but your console is capable of alot more and new games will begin to follow that actually use the features.

but I still thing 2012 is wishful, sony just started recruiting for the ps4 project.
  23. BumbleBee

BumbleBee

Thanks Received:
    I don't think the PS4 will have any backwards compatibility. R&D started months ago.
  24. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    That wouldn't make much sense, the PS2 and PS3 both had it, and they are getting better with adding old titles to the PS Store. I wouldnt see any reason they wouldn't have it.
  25. KieranD

KieranD

Thanks Received:
    Well they only had backwards compatibility on some of the PS3 models like the 60gb and they quickly discontinued that model. For sure though if it uses a modified cell cpu then compatibility will be easier for PS3 games.

I may have said this in another thread but i think 2012 is a bit soon like Kuro says there are still franchises to be wrapped up and games coming out.