• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

running server

System Name 2nd AMD puppy
Processor FX-8350 vishera
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper TX2
Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 580 Nitro+;1450/2000 Mhz
Storage SSD :840 pro 128 Gb;Iridium pro 240Gb ; HDD 2xWD-1Tb
Display(s) Benq XL2730Z 144 Hz freesync
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE with Logitech Z-5500
Power Supply Riotoro Enigma G2 850W
Mouse Razer copperhead / Gamdias zeus (by courtesy of sneekypeet & TPU)
Keyboard MS Sidewinder x4
Software win10 64bit ltsc
Benchmark Scores irrelevant for me
Hi all,

I have searched a lot about my question an decided to try here also:

for ex. i'm running a hp server for a company and i'm responsible of maintenance whatever happens.

if the server die (mobo .. etc) and i must wait maybe 1 week before a replacement is available the company can't work and what can i do in order to give them a viable solution to work with all the data from the f..ked server? ( data is stored in 5 hdd so i don't think i'll loose it all )

i was thinking if is possible to make an image of OS and use it in another pc running as a virtual pc; of course a different hardware maybe implied and in my conception to run the server as emulation on this pc to keep the business alive for the company.

is this possible or other viable option exist?

Processor Intel i5-6600
Motherboard ASRock H170M-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Geminii S524
Memory G.Skill DDR4-2133 16GB (8GB x 2)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9-380X 4GB
Storage Samsung 950 EVO 250GB (mSATA)
Display(s) LG 29UM69G-B 2560x1080 IPS
Case Lian Li PC-Q25
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC892
Power Supply Seasonic SS-460FL2
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech G110
Software Windows 10 Pro
What does the server handle?

If we're just talking about file sharing, then have another machine, NAS, etc, regularly sync with the data.

If it handles more complex services such as a domain, Exchange, MSSQL, then you might want to start working on your contingency plan now. An image of the server may very well be workable solution in your case.

System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
What does the server handle?

If we're just talking about file sharing, then have another machine, NAS, etc, regularly sync with the data.

If it handles more complex services such as a domain, Exchange, MSSQL, then you might want to start working on your contingency plan now. An image of the server may very well be workable solution in your case.

+1 to that.

If you dont' have any data backup except what's on the server drives then your going to need something else.

If you purchased a Business Warranty plan with the Server most of the time the Server Warranty's cover 24hr Turn around. And a part will be sent ASAP. Looking at 2 days top's.

But then agian if it becomes backordered or there's no warranty associated to a 24Hr response time..then you have yourself a problem.

Definately start working on something that is going to provide user's to access that data. Be aware if it's a decent group of people accessing the files your going to need Server. XP will not let more than 10 concurrent connections access the machine at once.

Memory 16 Gb DDR3:8GB Kingston HyperX Beast + 8Gb G.Skill Sniper(by courtesy of tabascosauz &TPU)
Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
the server is mainly for accounting purposes (invoicing warehouse in-out etc) is not xp running official server os and the response time from HP is from 3 days to 1 week ;people working need access to programs and data so they need another "virtual " server is possible;3 days of lack cause more damage than the server cost twice but the company won't buy another... crisis...

i was thinking to clone the server os with all installed soft and run it on other pc if the situation even occur

also if possible to run on a completely different architecture in virtual mode (a good comparison are the ps2 games on pc emulated) basically i don't want that the original server os to be aware that is not on hp hardware but running

Last edited:
System Name Corsair 900D
Processor FX8350
Motherboard Asus Crosshair V
Cooling Corsair H110I
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) Asus GTX1080
Storage 2x 500GB 1x 1TB WD Green
Display(s) Acer 24" 1080p / HP 27" 1080p LED
Case Corsair 900D
Audio Device(s) Sound Blaster X-Fi (Built in/Mobo) - Xonar Sound Card
Power Supply Enermax 1020Watt
Mouse Logitech Something Whatever
Keyboard Logtich G910
Software Windows 10
the server is mainly for accounting purposes (invoicing warehouse in-out etc) is not xp running official server os and the response time from HP is from 3 days to 1 week ;people working need access to programs and data so they need another "virtual " server is possible;3 days of lack cause more damage than the server cost twice but the company won't buy another... crisis...

i was thinking to clone the server os with all installed soft and run it on other pc if the situation even occur

also if possible to run on a completely different architecture in virtual mode (a good comparison are the ps2 games on pc emulated) basically i don't want that the original server os to be aware that is not on hp hardware but running

Anytime you do an image you need the EXACT hardware or else the image will fail. You could do a virtual machine, but they use generic HW devices.. I am not sure of VM software that allow's you to emulate an HP server.

Best bet, setup a machine with server, and have it copy over the database app's and use that incase of failure. This a workgroup or a domain environment?

Case NZXT 820 PHANTOM
workgroup

i must go ne but i'll be back in 2 hrs

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
which os are you running ? assuming windows, consider migrating to vmware if performance requirements allow. for linux i found openvz a good virtualization solution

is the machine located in some kind of datacenter?

System Name gamer/htpc (light gamer)
Processor i7870/i3530
Motherboard EVGA LE/Gigabyte hn55-usb3
Cooling stock/stock- for now
Memory 4g gskill/4G gskill
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 570/Gigabyte 560
Storage 7200 hard drives
Case Full ATX tower/SugoB mitx
Audio Device(s) intagrated/intragrated
Power Supply 750W silverstone/300W mini ITX
Last edited:
vmware will only run on certain HW though

doesn't server 03 have DFS that you can use (distributed file system) i think.

Should be able to do a mirrored server, if on a LAN environment.....

update: link posted

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/storage/dfs/default.mspx

Yes, like a Pentium 3 and above. It's only ESX that has actual requirements.

The fact that you don't have an actual manager for the server tells me the company isn't that big, mirroring the whole thing is a bit over the top there.

Virtualization can be a very simple way to make a backup which is very easy to recover and hardware independent. Just make sure you keep storage separated and do back that up. And never keep backups in the same building.