• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

OFFICIAL Rust (Discussion)

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard AsRock X670E Phantom Gaming Lightning
Cooling Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory G.SKILL Trident Z5 Neo DDR5-6000 32GB (2 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Display(s) LG OLED55G2PUA
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL ROG Certified
Audio Device(s) Digital out to high end dac and amps.
Power Supply EVGA GQ 1000W
Mouse Logitech G600
Keyboard Logitech G413 Carbon
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Rift S, Quest 2, Quest 3
Software Windows 11
I've been playing this for a little while now. Its in alpha but is still a lot of fun. It can be a very frustrating game but rewarding as well. I was wondering if anyone else plays it.

For those that haven't heard of it:

It's done by Gary's Mod FacePunch Studios.

Rust is a survival game created by Facepunch Studios. Inspired by games like DayZ, Minecraft and Stalker – Rust aims to create a hostile environment in which emergent gameplay can flourish.

The aim of the game is to survive. To do this the player should gather resources. Hitting a tree with a rock will give you wood, hitting a rock with a rock will give you rock and ore. You can then craft a hatchet from the wood and rock, allowing you to gather faster. You can go out and hunt a variety of wildlife such as boars, chickens, rabbits, bears, wolves and deer. Once you have killed an animal you can butcher it to gather its meat and skin. You can craft a fire using wood and cook the meat inside the fire. Then you can eat.

You face two major dangers in game.

Rust is a multiplayer game, so there will be other players trying to survive in the same way that you are. Unfortunately for you they can find you, kill you and take your stuff. Fortunately for you – you can kill them and take their stuff. Or maybe you can make friends and help each other survive. Rust’s world is harsh – so you might need to make friends to survive.

The environment is not kind. Bears and wolves will chase and kill you. Falling from a height will kill you. Being exposed to radiation for an extended period will kill you. Starving will kill you. Being cold will kill you.

History
Rust started out as a DayZ clone. We liked the idea of DayZ but we got very frustrated when trying to play it. It was decided that we could make a rough estimation of it in less than a month. Four months later we got there.

It became very clear that one thing DayZ had that we didn’t was a huge populated world. We could not justify spending the time to create towns and cities full of enter-able buildings full of furniture and lootable goodies. We decided that the world should be empty – and the user should build those buildings. Joining a different server would be like entering a different world – because it will have evolved completely differently.

After adding this feature we released an early alpha version. This ended up being a million times more popular than we expected and left us satisfied that we had chosen the right direction.

Around this time we came to the conclusion that we were sick of zombies, and after taking a look at the game decided that we didn’t even need them. There are already enough ways to die. So we removed them. (EDIT by WhiteNoise: There are Zombies all over the game world. I don't know why they say they removed them....)

http://playrust.com/

Server info:

Amish Playground

IP: 192.99.15.222
PORT: 28050

PVP.
NO Sleepers.
Airdrops set to "10" players online.
Day time 50 minutes / Nights 20 minutes.
Durability disabled.
No cheating Admin.
New player 'friendly'
No wipes unless developer forces us to.
No exploiting, no hacking.

I'm looking to start a friendly community with people that want to PVP, build, gather, raid but I'm not looking for large groups that want to completely dominate the server and then once they chased everyone away they themselves leave.
Press F1 once at menu screen in game. Type in console: net.connect 192.99.15.222:28050

Last edited:

lyndonguitar

I play games
System Name X6 | Lyndon-ROG
Processor Intel Core i7-8700k | Intel Core i7 6700HQ
Motherboard Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5 | Asus ROG-GL552VX
Cooling Deepcool Captain 240EX
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LED | 8 GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 8 GB GDDR5X | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M 4GB
Storage SSDs: 500GB, HDDs: 2TB, 2TB, 3TB | SSD: 250GB, HDD: 1TB
Display(s) Samsung 49" CHG90 3840x1080@144Hz, Panasonic 32" HDTV, | 15.6"1080p
Case Cougar Panzer Max
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II | Corsair Gaming H1500 7.1 | ROCCAT Kave 5.1 | Edifier M3200
Power Supply EVGA 750GQ
Mouse Logitech G403 | Razer Deathadder Chroma | Logitech G302 | Mad Catz Cyborg R.A.T. 5
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Red
Software Windows 10
I just played a full 9 hour session, and I just bought the game, so it was my first time, so my gametime is now 9 hours. . I was playing with a group of friends about five to ten in numbers and it was a complete blast, We even met an admin and he started befriending our group and added us on steam. Funny thing is, It took me about an hour or so just to meet up with my friends and once I died and respawn far away I had difficulty finding them again.

It's like minecraft, gmod, and dayz combined. fun as hell, our group built a small village and one house for each of us, on top of a mountain.

The main thing I like about this game is that when you log out, your character never disappears in the server, he just sleeps, so you must find a safe place to log out or "sleep" or someone might stumble upon you and kill you. We raided alot of camps and houses and found alot of people sleeping and we killed them.

I was so used into DayZ with people logging off the moment they hear another player come. This game, no one is safe. If there is someone chasing you, you can't just quit the game to disappear. Also the building and crafting part is very awesome, especially when you try and build houses.

Last edited:
Storage Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Samsung 980 PRO Series 1TB, Crucial P3 NVMe M.2 2TB
Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Some servers run "No Sleep" and that allows people to log out their character.

The game is a blast. I've been playing solo because none of my friends play but so far I've only been killed all of 4 or 5 times by bandits.

Last night I was huddled in my wood shack by the fire cooking some chicken when I heard a couple of sets of footsteps outside my shack. Then over voip the the guys outside my shack told me to open my door or they would come in and kill me. They informed me ever so nicely that if I let them in they would spare my life. Then they shot my shack with a gun and told me thats whats going to happen to me if I don't open up. I decided to ignore them and see what they did. After about 10 minutes of them demanding they left. I guess they didn't feel like breaking my door down with their axe. I got lucky that time. Now I hide better. lol

It is a great time waster. I found myself spending 8 hours last night just scavenging and building a house with a friend.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
That it is. I was up till 5am this morning playing through a 7 hour session. Woke up at 9am and been playing ever since. Just logged out now. I'm getting a little obsessed.

Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Trying to buy but Steam store is unresponsive...

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Pretty cool game, except the part where it encourages you to play with your friend's. Good luck finding your friend's on a map that huge with no real POI's. You end up just constantly suiciding until you spawn close to each other. The game is great fun when you have people to play with, otherwise it's just like DayZ, first person to craft an automatic rifle goes round shooting naked men carrying rocks "for the lulz". Has the potential to be a great game, will probably end up a festering trollfest like DayZ mod was, killing each other over beans.

If they simply made it possible to spawn with or closeby a friend, I'd have no problem with the game, and I actually find it way more fun than most other games of it's type. But you know, alpha is alpha.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
Has the potential to be a great game, will probably end up a festering trollfest like DayZ mod was, killing each other over beans.

Agree with that entirely. I'll not touch a survival RPG esque game that doesn't control the mindless 'kill all' attitudes. In a Zombie survival game people ought to not be pricks to each other. We do that enough in the real world. What happened to people coming together for the common good? FPS MP is different - you're gonna die and that's fine.

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Agree with that entirely. I'll not touch a survival RPG esque game that doesn't control the mindless 'kill all' attitudes. In a Zombie survival game people ought to not be pricks to each other. We do that enough in the real world. What happened to people coming together for the common good? FPS MP is different - you're gonna die and that's fine.

The funniest part was, I had full crafted leather armor and pistol, and yet three retarded naked men with nothing but rocks just kept trying to kill me over and over. They all got shot in the face every single time. You'd think in the real world, when there's say only 200 people in existence, and it's a fight for survival, people wouldn't be dicks and just kill each other. I hate it in games, it makes for a very poor community. This game will be amazing if they simply fix the issue of how impossible it is to find the people you WANT to play with.
I really like the game, I like the mechanics, and everything the game stands for. The endless stream of 13 year old teenagers that have no goals in a game except to "troll" other players just ruins it for me.

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
The funniest part was, I had full crafted leather armor and pistol, and yet three retarded naked men with nothing but rocks just kept trying to kill me over and over. They all got shot in the face every single time. You'd think in the real world, when there's say only 200 people in existence, and it's a fight for survival, people wouldn't be dicks and just kill each other. I hate it in games, it makes for a very poor community. This game will be amazing if they simply fix the issue of how impossible it is to find the people you WANT to play with.
I really like the game, I like the mechanics, and everything the game stands for. The endless stream of 13 year old teenagers that have no goals in a game except to "troll" other players just ruins it for me.

There should be a simple game mechanic. You choose either to play creature A (i.e. human) or creature B (i.e. zombie). No blurred lines. And Robin Thicke is a fucking douche (in case someone uses that phrase). If you play A you are heavily penalised if you fight A. simples.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Hey I'm heading out to visit family but I own a server for Rust. Its a 50 man server. If anyone from TPU wants a fairly empty server to play on then go ahead. I'm debating on making it a 100 pop server but not at the moment.

Ummm it is PVP but sleep is off for now... the server is located in LA. The server has been up for a few days.

If anyone here plays on it and wants any changes done just let me know. I don't mind tailoring it to the needs of the people playing on it. At least on this server everyone is starting fresh so no one there yet with auto rifles and shit.

[US] Amish Playground No Sleep PVP
IP: 174.34.169.2
Port: 28015

If enough TPU members play on it I'll change the name and make it a TPU server.

I think you guys are completely off. This is a survival game - yes. You should be able to scavenge for food, supplies, weapons, etc. and not have to worry about dying from every little new guy you meet trying to beat you with a rock. However, you also always have to watch your back because of this and that should never change. PvP is an essential part of the game IMO - I started to setup on a PvE server (I didn't realize it) and regretted it. It was sure nice to learn the game on and the mechanics of crafting and all, but it just doesn't feel right to me. Yes, there are dicks in every game. Yes, for a brand new player it can ruin a game. But also mindlessly wandering around not knowing what to do also kills it for new players, and that's one thing a game like this and a game like DayZ don't do is coddle you and teach you. I don't mind that at all..I find it fun to learn and test out things. However basic survival should be taught I believe at least a little bit. This will help more people get into the game and actually enjoy it, and probably help people be less weary once they actually get on their feet and know they can make basic stuff very easily without having to worry about dying and think the game sucks because they lose their two animals they killed and small shack they built. The finding friends thing is annoying too - another comparison to DayZ - this game has no towns or anything. There is a map, but it doesn't help me honestly. I know where I've setup on this one server, vaguely, but I don't know exactly and there is no real way to tell that I can see. I will probably learn it over time but initially it took my friend two hours to find me, and that was frustrating for him as well as myself.

Here is the house I just completed. Friend made the first story and part of second, I did everything else. Came out relatively well I'd say. Have all the stuff to start building a metal house next except for metal foundation. That's gonna be fun.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Really tempted to try this.. but I bought the dayz standalone and haven't tried that at all yet

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Nice house! I built one as well but its not as nice looking. But its a complete mind bend for anyone breaking in...so many rooms and winding halls. It'll be costly to get to my good stuff.

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
I wanted to try it out, but at $30, I'll pass.

Mindweaver

Moderato®™
Staff member
System Name Tower of Power / Sechs
Processor i7 14700K / i7 5820k @ 4.5ghz
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming WiFi D4 / X99S GAMING 7
Cooling CM MasterLiquid ML360 Mirror ARGB Close-Loop AIO / CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme
Memory CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600 / G.Skill DDR4 2800 16GB 4x4GB
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 4070 Ti / ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 V2 OC Edition
Storage 4x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB M.2, 2x Crucial 1TB SSD / Samsung 870 PRO 500GB M.2
Display(s) Samsung 32" Odyssy G5 Gaming 144hz 1440p, ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p / 2x ViewSonic 32" 72hz 1440p
Case Phantek "400A" / Phanteks “Enthoo Pro series”
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC4080 / Azalia Realtek ALC1150
Power Supply Corsair RM Series RM750 / Corsair CXM CX600M
Mouse Glorious Gaming Model D Wireless / Razer DeathAdder Chroma
Keyboard Glorious GMMK with box-white switches / Keychron K6 pro with blue swithes
VR HMD Quest 3 (128gb) + Rift S + HTC Vive + DK1
Software Windows 11 Pro x64 / Windows 10 Pro x64
Benchmark Scores Yes
Nice house! I built one as well but its not as nice looking. But its a complete mind bend for anyone breaking in...so many rooms and winding halls. It'll be costly to get to my good stuff.

Thanks...I thought about doing something like that but eh. To break down a wood wall it takes 2 C4. Might put spikes around areas on first floor...gonna make a metal buildling anyways, so meh. Did make a video of it just in case the server goes down or something though.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Wait....we can make METAL buildings? Metal walls? wtf...I had no idea. Do we have to find blue prints for that?

You have to find the pieces and then use research kits to be able to craft them.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Oh damn. Thats good to know. This game is pretty deep once you start digging into it.

I wonder if anyone has built a fortress around a standard in game buildings? I found a building that has a working door. Its located near the civ hanger and outside the radiation area. It spawns a green and sometimes red container. I was wondering if its possible to build a foundation and walls around it and use it as my base.

I do have a couple of those research kits. Used one to research assault rifle ammo, and I found a blueprint for the M4 yesterday.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11

1Kurgan1

The Knife in your Back
System Name My Comp | Fiancees Comp
Processor i7 5820k @ 4.6Ghz 1.285v| i5 2500k
Motherboard MSI x99 SLI Plus | AsRock Z77 Pro 3
Cooling Watercooled
Memory 16GB DDR4 2400 @ 2666 | 12GB DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290x | MSI 5850 OC
Storage 128gb SSD + 2x 2TB | 2TB
Display(s) Asus 27" LCD | 25" Hanns G
Case CM Storm | CM Elite 430
Audio Device(s) Creative Recon 3D PCIe
Power Supply Enermax Galaxy 1250W | Rosewill 630w
Mouse Logitech G700s | Logitech G100s
Keyboard Logitech G901 | Logitech G105
Software Win 8.1 Ultimate x64 | Win 8.1 Ultimate x64
Benchmark Scores 3D Mark - Fire Strike Extreme - 4403
After I built and finished my house...now I don't really want to play. If I joined a high capacity server and started killing folks and raiding I guess that would give me something to do but meh. Guess I could start my metal house but after that is done...again probably not gonna have much to interest me. It is a good time waster but honestly it needs more to keep me interested. Don't know how I played DayZ for so long..probably because there were multiple towns to search and the map was so big. Maybe I did too much of this game too quickly because I already have pretty much everything. Full guns/armor, loot, etc.

Mouse Logitech G600
Software Windows 11
Well I think the fun is the raiding, and pvping...

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
After I built and finished my house...now I don't really want to play. If I joined a high capacity server and started killing folks and raiding I guess that would give me something to do but meh. Guess I could start my metal house but after that is done...again probably not gonna have much to interest me. It is a good time waster but honestly it needs more to keep me interested. Don't know how I played DayZ for so long..probably because there were multiple towns to search and the map was so big. Maybe I did too much of this game too quickly because I already have pretty much everything. Full guns/armor, loot, etc.

Not to single you out, but this is like people who only play dayz on empty servers.. You're missing out on atleast half of the game.