• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Rusty chokes on Asus mobo.

3volvedcombat

System Name My Computer
Processor Core 2 Q9550 4Ghz 1.23volts
Motherboard Gigabyte
Cooling Corsair
Memory OCZ
Video Card(s) Galaxy
Storage Western Digital
Display(s) Acer
Case Lian li
Audio Device(s) Asus
Power Supply Corsiar
Software Microsoft
Benchmark Scores 25,000 3dmark06 at 4.35Ghz processor, 835core card!
Im just reading Wizzards post and its very correct what he is saying. I would use the motherboards anyway, I think the rusted chokes look good acctualy :laugh:. Even though there Iron there sealed from oxygen/water/humitidy so they cant rust, the main artery is copper so thats all good to me also, AND AT LEAST there working chokes and theres no proof of many failing motherboards because of this or any failing motherboard for that matter. And you have to admit, that old p43-g31 chipsets arnt really that popular anymore and likely will be gone in a year or 2. But the 785g was a little supprise, dosnt bother my opinion on them. As long as the motherboard will work like any other motherboard and overclock just the same, then i dont mind.

but if they started doing this with video cards, im going to load my .357 and go on a trip to asus headcorters.

Who cares really? I'm not gonna give up ASUS just because of that and any store where i'd bought such mobo, i could return it right away, no questions asked. And get a replacement of course.
Anyone will confirm that this is a factory defect and not an user's fault.

W1zzard

Administrator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Memory 48 GB
Video Card(s) RTX 4080
Storage 2x HDD RAID 1, 3x M.2 NVMe
Display(s) 30" 2560x1600 + 19" 1280x1024
Software Windows 10 64-bit
which guidelines are that ?

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
System Name penguin
Processor R7 5700G
Motherboard Asrock B450M Pro4
Cooling Some CM tower cooler that will fit my case
Memory 4 x 8GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz
Video Card(s) IGP
Storage ADATA SU800 512GB
Display(s) 27' LG
Case Zalman
Audio Device(s) stock
Power Supply Seasonic SS-620GM
Software win10
BTW did anyone think of this video, when they saw the rusty caps? :eek: Warning dangerously weird!

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
System Name Quantumville™
Processor Intel Core i7-2700K @ 4GHz
Motherboard Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory 16GB (2 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Black DDR3 PC3-12800 C9 1600MHz)
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2080 SUPER Gaming X Trio
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 256GB | WD Black 4TB | WD Blue 6TB
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Case Cooler Master HAF 922
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty PCIe
Power Supply Corsair AX1600i
Mouse Microsoft Intellimouse Pro - Black Shadow
Keyboard Yes
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Did you even read the article.

1.) The issue only shows itself on a few low end boards, which likely aren't very popular, and hence have been produced and left sitting for a long while before being sold. The article even says probably 6 to 8 months.

2.) Because of 1, it means that the problem was likely not visable during the manufacturering and quality control processes. So the boards looked perfectly fine when they were boxed up.

3.) This is only really an issue that makes ASUS look bad IF ASUS won't RMA the boards because of the issue. If they take care of the problem, then ASUS has don't nothing wrong, and it certainly won't stop me from buying ASUS boards in the future.

Now my question is, because I honestly don't know, is the part thats rusting seems to just be a casing, I thought all the fancy magic of those chokes happen inside them. So if only the casing is rusting, how will that affact the actual performance of the choke?

Well duh, yes of course I did. The rusting is not just on the casing, but inside, causing eventual failure and possible destruction of the CPU. The article explained this.

And as far as flogging boards with a known problem without revealing it before sale is fraud, whether they "graciously" RMA them or not.

Did you even read the article?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Display(s) ASUS ROG Strix XG27UQR (4K, 144Hz, G-SYNC compatible) | Asus MG28UQ (4K, 60Hz, FreeSync compatible)
Keyboard Yes
Just curious . . . but what board is that?

I don't know either. I only know what's in that article.

TBH, I've personally used ASUS solely for nearly two decades now . . . and never had any issues with their hardware. Honestly, I've seen their hardware hold up better than GIGA's, or any other manufacturer. But, then again, I've only purchased their 1337, upper-end boards; only "issue" I've ever had was with a mid-range (P5W-DH Deluxe), and the CPU/mobo temp sensors were bad right out of the box; otherwise, the board was perfectly fine and rock-solid.

When it boils down to it, though . . . no matter what manufacturer we're talking about, the low-end and lower mid-range boards usually pack sub-par and questionable components . . . it's part of the reason they can offer those boards at such "economical" prices.

Plan and simple, with the PC tech industry, the rule of thumb that's held true for the last 30 years is "you get what you pay for."

Sounds like you've had a pretty good run with Asus and chosen wisely from their product range.

I totally agree with your point about the cheap components and getting what you pay for. These chokes are of the cheaper type, which fits in with this.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Well duh, yes of course I did. The rusting is not just on the casing, but inside, causing eventual failure and possible destruction of the CPU. The article explained this.

And as far as flogging boards with a known problem without revealing it before sale is fraud, whether they "graciously" RMA them or not.

Did you even read the article?

This comment makes it painfully clear that you have in fact NOT read the article, but instead have taken something and are trying to blow it way out of proportion to try and bash a company for whatever reason.

Where in the article does it say the rusting is anywhere other than the casing? It doesn't. It shows pictures of just the casings rusting, and they say it could lead to catastrophic failure of the chokes, but of course it just as well could not. Without taking the chokes apart and looking inside to see what is happening inside, we don't know if the chokes are even at any risk of failure. Also, when a choke fails, I've never seen it take a CPU with it, that is essentially totaly BS. When the choke fails, power will be cut from that Phase, that is what happens when a choke fails. This might overload the other phases, but all this amounts to is the CPU recieving less voltage than it is supposed to, which will not fry the CPU. These rusting chokes pose less risk to the CPU then most of us accept when we overvolt a processor.

Your comment about ASUS knowingly selling these boards with a defect really makes it clear you have not actually read the article, as it clearly says that ASUS more than likely did not know about this issue prior to selling the boards. It has nothing to do with fraud, as ASUS did not know of the problem before selling the boards.

DirectorC

System Name -= Son of a Whore =-
Processor E8400 @ 4.0GHz (445 x 9)
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 3GB Corsair XMS2
Video Card(s) EVGA 8800 GT 512
Storage 74GB Raptor + Caviars in RAID0
Display(s) I-Inc 19" LCD 1440x900
Audio Device(s) Audigy SE & Logitech X-540
Power Supply Corsair 750TX
Software Win32 v6.1.7600
Benchmark Scores Logitech KB & Sidewinder X3
I for one think it's pretty cool that ASUS is shipping boards with marbled components :D

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF x670e
Cooling EK AIO 360. Phantek T30 fans.
Memory 32GB G.Skill 6000Mhz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 4090
Storage WD m.2
Display(s) LG C2 Evo OLED 42"
Case Lian Li PC 011 Dynamic Evo
Audio Device(s) Topping E70 DAC, SMSL SP200 Headphone Amp.
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti PRO 1000W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3 Pro
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Clearly the chokes are rusting on the surface underneath the laquer. The chokes were exposed to moisture before the laquer process. It doesn't bode well for the lifespan of the chokes, but since the oxidation is pretty much trapped on the surface it's not so bad, not good either. The oxidation easily could of occured after these things were packed up and shipped out to distributors. It's a hardware defect and it happens from time to time. One would assume that Asus has checked their choke supply by now. No company in their right mind would sell a product that they know to have defective hardware on them. So if you end up gettin an Asus board with rusty chokes, return it for a good one. O' woe is they.

Last edited:

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
This comment makes it painfully clear that you have in fact NOT read the article, but instead have taken something and are trying to blow it way out of proportion to try and bash a company for whatever reason.

Where in the article does it say the rusting is anywhere other than the casing? It doesn't. It shows pictures of just the casings rusting, and they say it could lead to catastrophic failure of the chokes, but of course it just as well could not. Without taking the chokes apart and looking inside to see what is happening inside, we don't know if the chokes are even at any risk of failure. Also, when a choke fails, I've never seen it take a CPU with it, that is essentially totaly BS. When the choke fails, power will be cut from that Phase, that is what happens when a choke fails. This might overload the other phases, but all this amounts to is the CPU recieving less voltage than it is supposed to, which will not fry the CPU. These rusting chokes pose less risk to the CPU then most of us accept when we overvolt a processor.

Your comment about ASUS knowingly selling these boards with a defect really makes it clear you have not actually read the article, as it clearly says that ASUS more than likely did not know about this issue prior to selling the boards. It has nothing to do with fraud, as ASUS did not know of the problem before selling the boards.

Yup, the rust is coming from the inside, it does say it:

Here’s a close up of these chokes, notice the bubbles. We’ve never come across anything like this before and it’s fairly clear that the rust is coming from the inside of the chokes with the moisture trapped inside trying to get out.

and:

This means that when the quality control was done, none of these issues would’ve been visible. A probable explanation to the rust is that the iron powder used to make the iron core chokes had water added to it during the milling process and the iron powder was then not dried sufficiently before the chokes were made. The moisture trapped inside the chokes has then started to rust the chokes from the inside out during the time these boards have been sitting in the warehouse.

And yes, it damn well is fraud:

The issue that we’re having with it all is that any responsible company would pull these products off the market. Instead we’ve heard that Asus is actually dumping the pricing on the affected models we’re aware of to try to clear its inventory as quickly as possible.

Are Asus revealing the fault before sale? Unlikely. I'd be well pissed if I bought such a board and had to return it because of this problem. Stuff like this should be a product recall. Period.

How do you know that a failed choke won't result in a CPU receiving excess voltage? Do you design electronic circuits? Do all CPU power circuits work and fail the same way? Of course not. It's certainly possible that when they go open or short circuit, at the actual moment it happens, you are quite reasonably likely to get a voltage spike, if not also a constant high and unregulated voltage. The power might even cut out; there's too many variables to predict what will happen at the point of failure.

I don't design motherboards, but I do know something about electronics, so if the article says this fault can fry the CPU, I'll take that as good advice and stay away from that product.

It appears painfully clear that you're reading the article, but not understanding it and then having a go at me about it...

If you're gonna try to pull me up on my posts yet again, you're gonna have to do better than this.

No company in their right mind would sell a product that they know to have defective hardware on them.

+1. It's fraud if they're trying to sell these cheap without revealing the fault first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
Perhaps you need to keep your emotions in check. :cool:

qubit said:
If you're gonna try to pull me up on my posts yet again, you're gonna have to do better than this.

Please keep the flamebait to yourself too please. Let's all try to post in a friendly matter and not get frustrated when someone has a differing opinion.

Thank you.

Wile E

Power User
System Name The ClusterF**k
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 BIOS F12
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Memory 3x2GB Mushkin Redlines 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24 1T
Video Card(s) Evga GTX 580
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Display(s) HP LP2475w 24" 1920x1200 IPS
Case Technofront Bench Station
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
Power Supply ENERMAX Galaxy EVO EGX1250EWT 1250W
Software Win7 Ultimate N x64, OSX 10.8.4

and:

Are Asus revealing the fault before sale? Unlikely. I'd be well pissed if I bought such a board and had to return it because of this problem. Stuff like this should be a product recall. Period.

How do you know that a failed choke won't result in a CPU receiving excess voltage? Do you design electronic circuits? Do all CPU power circuits work and fail the same way? Of course not. It's certainly possible that when they go open or short circuit, at the actual moment it happens, you are quite reasonably likely to get a voltage spike, if not also a constant high and unregulated voltage. The power might even cut out; there's too many variables to predict what will happen at the point of failure.

I don't design motherboards, but I do know something about electronics, so if the article says this fault can fry the CPU, I'll take that as good advice and stay away from that product.

It appears painfully clear that you're reading the article, but not understanding it and then having a go at me about it...

If they didn't dismantle the chokes, they cannot claim it's rusting on the inside. They claim it's from they inside out, but have no evidence. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I claim it's surface rust trapped under some lacquer, and poses no real threat. See what I did there?

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
Perhaps you need to keep your emotions in check. :cool:

Please keep the flamebait to yourself too please. Let's all try to post in a friendly matter and not get frustrated when someone has a differing opinion.

Thank you.

Here we go again. Flamebait? What flamebait? I'm being attacked first and here's the evidence:

Did you even read the article.

This is his first post to me and is really quite offensive. This is the flamebait" and I'm just defending myself.

And again:

His logic is then way off, so I could demolish his arguments and the quotes from the article prove I'm right.

If you had been on the end of annoying posts like that, you wouldn't be too happy either, now would you?

I'm not getting "emotional". Given all this, it's quite reasonable to tell him to do better if he's gonna try and pull me up on inaccuracies and accuse me of not reading and understanding properly.

Storage WD m.2
Keyboard Tester84
Software Windows 11
I'm just asking all parties that post in this thread to do so in a respectable manner. Simple. That is all.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
If they didn't dismantle the chokes, they cannot claim it's rusting on the inside. They claim it's from they inside out, but have no evidence. Why is that so difficult to understand?

I claim it's surface rust trapped under some lacquer, and poses no real threat. See what I did there?

I agree the evidence would be even better if someone took apart those chokes (Charlie D in another expose perhaps?) but seeing rust under the lacquer is bad enough - especially that much. Their theory on how the rust came to be there seems reasonable, too. Hence, I wouldn't say they have no evidence, but I do agree that taking apart a choke would improve it.

One way or another these products should be avoided.

I'm just asking all parties that post in this thread to do so in a respectable manner. Simple. That is all.

Well yes, quite.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Cooling MCR-320, DDC-1 pump w/Bitspower res top (1/2" fittings), Koolance CPU-360
Storage Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, 2xSeagate 320GB RAID0; 2xSeagate 3TB; 2xSamsung 2TB; Samsung 1.5TB
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte into Onkyo SR606 and Polk TSi200's + RM6750
I agree the evidence would be even better if someone took apart those chokes (Charlie D in another expose perhaps?) but seeing rust under the lacquer is bad enough - especially that much. Their theory on how the rust came to be there seems reasonable, too. Hence, I wouldn't say they have no evidence, but I do agree that taking apart a choke would improve it.

One way or another these products should be avoided.
That's where I might disagree. Are these cheaper because of this? Do they still carry the full warranty?

If they're significantly cheaper but still with a full warranty, it's worth buying in my book.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
That's where I might disagree. Are these cheaper because of this? Do they still carry the full warranty?

If they're significantly cheaper but still with a full warranty, it's worth buying in my book.

Hmmm... I see where you're coming from and you have a point! :toast: For myself though, I never buy anything less than grade A, brand new mobos and stay away from the bottom of the range, as this can avoid potential problems with low grade stuff and tends to have the features I want. I apply the same principles to my PSUs and hard discs.

I also meant to add to my previous post, that yes, Asus could spin the problem as a surface cosmetic issue and hence the price reduction. It would then be upto the customer to prove they're lying once the mobo fails, which is frankly unlikely, isn't it?

Last edited:

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

and:

Really, in the context of the rest of the article, its under the lacquer, and it sounds like they seem to think anything under this lacquer is "inside" the choke.

Again, without anyone actually taking the chokes apart, no claim can be made that the rust is coming from the inside of the choke.

It isn't fraud because ASUS had no knowledge of the problem before the boards were sold.

Guess what I "heard", I heard that ASUS wasn't dumping the price to move the stock...(See what I did there, anyone can say they've heard anything they want. Without it actually being true or obvious, it shouldn't be given an ounce of credit.)

I don't know though, I wonder if ASUS is dumping the price to move stock because of the bad chokes, or it could possibly be because 775 is dying and ASUS has a huge stockpile of boards that are about to be totally obsolete...the article even hints at this...:laugh: I wonder which is more logical...of course ASUS has been dropping prices on their 775 boards accross the board...but I'm sure that is because all of those have defective parts also, nothing to do with 775 dying...:roll:

I know plenty about electronics and specifically computer parts, and I know when a choke fails it doesn't take the CPU out with it.

TheMailMan78

Big Member
System Name TheMailbox 5.0 / The Mailbox 4.5
Processor RYZEN 1700X / Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz
Motherboard Fatal1ty X370 Gaming K4 / Gigabyte Z77X-UP5 TH Intel LGA 1155
Cooling MasterLiquid PRO 280 / Scythe Katana 4
Memory ADATA RGB 16GB DDR4 2666 16-16-16-39 / G.SKILL Sniper Series 16GB DDR3 1866: 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) MSI 1080 "Duke" with 8Gb of RAM. Boost Clock 1847 MHz / ASUS 780ti
Storage 256Gb M4 SSD / 128Gb Agelity 4 SSD , 500Gb WD (7200)
Display(s) LG 29" Class 21:9 UltraWide® IPS LED Monitor 2560 x 1080 / Dell 27"
Case Cooler Master MASTERBOX 5t / Cooler Master 922 HAF
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220 Audio Codec / SupremeFX X-Fi with Bose Companion 2 speakers.
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS Plus Series SSR-750PX 750W Platinum / SeaSonic X Series X650 Gold
Mouse SteelSeries Sensei (RAW) / Logitech G5
Keyboard Razer BlackWidow / Logitech (Unknown)
Software Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)
Benchmark Scores Benching is for bitches.
I talked to my old man about this and he started to laugh at me. He was a weapons avionics expert in Vietnam. Needless to say he worked on electronics in a humid environment. I asked him if a rusty choke would affect a circuit in any way and his exact words were "Chokes can't rust. They are made of f#$King copper. They can oxidize but not rust." Basically nothing will happen to the to the choke even after oxidization. His only concern was with the lacquer itself. He said that good lacquer would never "cure" properly on anything with trapped moister. He said if those things get hot and that lacquer softens and melts any you could have a fried circuit if its conductive.

I think my old man is a little nuts but he seems to make sense on this one.

cdawall

where the hell are my stars
System Name All the cores
Processor 2990WX
Motherboard Asrock X399M
Cooling CPU-XSPC RayStorm Neo, 2x240mm+360mm, D5PWM+140mL, GPU-2x360mm, 2xbyski, D4+D5+100mL
Memory 4x16GB G.Skill 3600
Video Card(s) (2) EVGA SC BLACK 1080Ti's
Storage 2x Samsung SM951 512GB, Samsung PM961 512GB
Display(s) Dell UP2414Q 3840X2160@60hz
Case Caselabs Mercury S5+pedestal
Audio Device(s) Fischer HA-02->Fischer FA-002W High edition/FA-003/Jubilate/FA-011 depending on my mood
Power Supply Seasonic Prime 1200w
Mouse Thermaltake Theron, Steam controller
Keyboard Keychron K8
Software W10P
I would be a little surprised if it was copper, because it's not magnetic. But then again, it might possible for fine tuning low value chokes and I don't design these things. :laugh: After all, just a coil with nothing but air inside it makes a choke too.

do you even understand the basics behind electronics? current traveling through a chock (coil of wire) creates a magnetic field using inductance and copper is used for its superior conductivity and copper wont rust. iron is only used to boost this magnetism ti has nothing to really do with conduction just induction and being rusted makes no difference with that.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.
Just a thought. If that was only rust we were seeing, it wouldn't be that reflective. That's under a clear coating of some kind. Might explain the "boils". Bad chemical reaction with a top clear coat maybe? And if that's the case, it's not in contact with air, thus while not looking good not going to be a problem.

Yeah same here looks like a bad coating they have used. They look like they might of been black to start with and with that said who gave the go ahead to use it should be kicked in da ass.

Maybe it's a coating that ASUS have used to tell when the mobo has been pushed passed their specs.

EDIT: If there was rust inside it only be a issue if it degraded the coating on the copper wire which at a guess would do over time.

Last edited:

imperialreign

System Name УльтраФиолет
Processor Intel Kentsfield Q9650 @ 3.8GHz (4.2GHz highest achieved)
Motherboard ASUS P5E3 Deluxe/WiFi; X38 NSB, ICH9R SSB
Cooling Delta V3 block, XPSC res, 120x3 rad, ST 1/2" pump - 10 fans, SYSTRIN HDD cooler, Antec HDD cooler
Memory Dual channel 8GB OCZ Platinum DDR3 @ 1800MHz @ 7-7-7-20 1T
Video Card(s) Quadfire: (2) Sapphire HD5970
Storage (2) WD VelociRaptor 300GB SATA-300; WD 320GB SATA-300; WD 200GB UATA + WD 160GB UATA
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster T240 24" (16:10)
Case Cooler Master Stacker 830
Audio Device(s) Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro PCI-E x1
Power Supply Kingwin Mach1 1200W modular
Software Windows XP Home SP3; Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
Benchmark Scores 3m06: 20270 here: http://hwbot.org/user.do?userId=12313
I totally agree with your point about the cheap components and getting what you pay for. These chokes are of the cheaper type, which fits in with this.

Sure - motherboard manufacturers are notorious for using lower quality components on their lower-end boards . . . actually, all hardware manufacturers do this with their products.

The one thing, though, that sticks out in the article to me is the fact that the board(s) in question were shelved for 6-8 months from their date of manufacture. Now, environment comes heavily into play, and not all warehouses are climate controlled. If the warehouse where these motherboards were stored was subject to extreme heat and humidity, it can accelerate problems.

As well, the problem could've been inherent to the chokes from their manufacturing and storage - who knows how long those were sitting in storage before beind shipped off to another production facility for use on the motherboards? The evidence of "popcorn" in some of the pics (the raised bubbles in the lacquer) says to me that there was already some amount of moisture (or possibly checmical) present on the surface of the chokes when the lacquer was applied. It would take a long while for it to rise to the surface, and only heat and additional humidity would facilitate it.

qubit

Overclocked quantum bit
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Keyboard Yes
do you even understand the basics behind electronics?

Yes. Do you understand what I posted? :rolleyes:

current traveling through a chock (coil of wire) creates a magnetic field using inductance and copper is used for its superior conductivity and copper wont rust. iron is only used to boost this magnetism ti has nothing to really do with conduction just induction and being rusted makes no difference with that.

I was talking about the core of the choke, you know, the bit between the coil. As pantherx12 said it was made of copper, I was a little surprised and explained why. You have misunderstood what I said.

Sticking something magnetic between them boosts the magnetic field. Putting something non-magnetic doesn't. It is possible however, that putting some non-magnetic material there could aid stability in some way when high frequency current is put through the choke, like you would get in a switching regulator on a mobo.

I suggest reading my original post and the one from pantherx12 to get the full picture about what I was saying.

I hope this has clarified it for you. Please try to be a little more pleasant if you don't understand something and I will be perfectly nice to you.

Sure - motherboard manufacturers are notorious for using lower quality components on their lower-end boards . . . actually, all hardware manufacturers do this with their products.

The one thing, though, that sticks out in the article to me is the fact that the board(s) in question were shelved for 6-8 months from their date of manufacture. Now, environment comes heavily into play, and not all warehouses are climate controlled. If the warehouse where these motherboards were stored was subject to extreme heat and humidity, it can accelerate problems.

As well, the problem could've been inherent to the chokes from their manufacturing and storage - who knows how long those were sitting in storage before beind shipped off to another production facility for use on the motherboards? The evidence of "popcorn" in some of the pics (the raised bubbles in the lacquer) says to me that there was already some amount of moisture (or possibly checmical) present on the surface of the chokes when the lacquer was applied. It would take a long while for it to rise to the surface, and only heat and additional humidity would facilitate it.

Sounds perfectly plausible, yes. It really would be a good idea if some enterprising reporter were to cut one of those chokes open and see exactly how far this corrosion has gone. However, I have a feeling that this will blow over unfortunately and it'll never happen.

Regarding Asus dumping their dodgy stock: remember a while back with those dodgy Seagate 1TB drives that had a firmware lockup problem if certain power cycling/logging conditions were met? They wouldn't work at all when this happened and had to be reprogrammed, which meant an RMA.

A while later, various retailers had Seagate 1TB drives on "special offer"...

Yeah, this practice is wrong and its rife.

Wile E

Power User
Processor 980X @ 4Ghz
Regarding Asus dumping their dodgy stock: remember a while back with those dodgy Seagate 1TB drives that had a firmware lockup problem if certain power cycling/logging conditions were met? They wouldn't work at all when this happened and had to be reprogrammed, which meant an RMA.

A while later, various retailers had Seagate 1TB drives on "special offer"...

Yeah, this practice is wrong and its rife.

I don't think it's wrong as long as they discount it and still offer a full warranty. I would've bought one of those 1TB drives if they were discounted enough.