• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RV790 Essentially An Overclocked RV770

Binge

Overclocking Surrealism
System Name Molly
Processor i5 3570K
Motherboard Z77 ASRock
Cooling CooliT Eco
Memory 2x4GB Mushkin Redline Ridgebacks
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 680
Case Coolermaster CM690 II Advanced
Power Supply Corsair HX-1000
I honestly need to make a photoshop with Bob Veela restoring something in his exciting new show This Old Thread.

Seems ATi is on the re-branding wagon now. Sounds like RV790 is just a binned re-branded RV770. Doesn't sound like it will be topping GT200b any time soon with those specs. Very disappointing, I was hoping for the 960SP@850MHz 40nm beast, now it seems like none of the advances that made RV790 exciting will actually happen, its just an overclocked RV770 with faster RAM.

It's a disappointment for a lot of us :eek: but when did you hear (since r300 at least) that the same generation architecture gets some additional power thru adding some new 'components' inside. Then they'll have nothing to sell in their next-gen :D I was hoping for the same 800SP that reach that 1000MHz but @40nm node and inside 160W envelope. Not for some power hungry tweak. Leaky 40nm ... well i believe whatever they sell, but this is too much crap to buy cause even with leaky 40nm they could at least reach 1000MHz on oversized 40nm die just like this one is 55nm oversized die to reduce the same 'leakage' :rolleyes:

But this is certainly dissapointing, a mere overclock, and not even an outstanding one. Even if the cards launched at ~950 Mhz (very unlikely), that's around a 25% higher clock. That 25% applied to a GTX260 puts it at 720 Mhz, that is what most (to not say all) 260's can reach with a good cooling. Some people can say whatever they want, but the more I see, the more I believe Nvidia's architecture is way superior. Things like this expose that reality.

Well i would agree with you that nvidia has better architecture (even they new that since April last year an their pie&mud fight). Only they have better lightweight architecture strictly developed to show it's strength on dx10-ps4/vs4 based applications. Stock rv770xt pulverizes that G200XTXT monster when it comes to older ps3/vs3 instructions. Not even considering GPGPU power of the RV7 arch ;)