1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

S. Korean man dies from playing games

Discussion in 'News' started by Dark Ride, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Dark Ride Mushkin Rep

Thanks Received:
    Reuters reports that a 28-year old man, identified by his family name Lee, from South Korea died after playing games for 50 hours almost non-stop in an Internet Cafe.

The hardcore gamer had been playing on-line battle simulation games at the cafe in the southeastern city of Taegu.

The deadly gaming session began on August 3.He only left the PC to go to the toliet and nap briefly on a makeshift bed.

"We presume the cause of death was heart failure stemming from exhaustion," - a police officer said.

In an interview with the daily JoongAng Ilbo, former work colleagues and staff at the Internet cafe said that Lee recently quit his job to spend more time playing games.

South Korea, one of the most wired countries in the world, has a large and highly developed game industry.

2. boruvka

boruvka New Member

Thanks Received:
    Reputedly he was playing StarCraft, a still very VERY popular game title in Korea.
    The family name of Lee is almost every second korean's family name, so Reuters can claim to have successfully sufficiently anonymized the victim :)

3. Dark Ride Mushkin Rep

Thanks Received:
    :D lol

4. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    wtf was he on games are fun but i could not spend 50 houers
    on my computer just think how stiff u would be it would take u a haf an houre to get up

5. djbbenn

Thanks Received:
    I'd never get the chance to play 50 hours on my system...my parents would chase me off. :rolleyes:

-Dan

6. wazzledoozle

wazzledoozle New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ive done 26 hours of Halo on xbox mixed with some half life 2. No naps and lots of caffiene.

I had some pretty extreme heartburn because I have acid reflux but I kept on going :D

Last edited: Aug 16, 2005
  7. icywater New Member

Thanks Received:
    i can't stand more than 4 hours of playing game non stop, let along 50 hours :eek: