1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

S775 Rampage Extreme upgrade?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by Vagike, Feb 24, 2009.

1. Vagike New Member

Thanks Received:
    Trying to figure out if it is worth while to upgrade to a DDR3 mobo.

I got a Q9650 as a belated xmas present, so i am not incline to jump to an i7.

I am looking the Asus Rampage Extreme, and trying to figure out if it will be difficult to run 4gb of DDR3-1600 on this X48 chipset.
  2. nafets New Member

Thanks Received:
    Difficult? No.

Costly and with minimal performance increase over a current DDR2 setup? Yes.

If there are other reasons for upgrading to the Rampage Extreme, such as a greater OC, more expansion, better MB cooling, etc..., then you might consider it.

But just for reasons of having DDR3 memory, then I'd say no. The only reason to upgrade to a DDR3 motherboard now is if you're planning on running/moving to a Core i7 or AM3 processor...
  3. CDdude55

CDdude55 Crazy 4 TPU!!!

Thanks Received:
    DDR3 doesn't justify the price for performance IMO, you can easily go the DDR2 route and find way cheaper and great performing RAM. And as said above, if ya want DDR3 might as well just go Core i7 as it should provide overall better performance with the newer architecture. For S775, theres no real need as it wont provide any real big benefit to overall system performance. And no, its not difficult at all to run that.
  4. Vagike New Member

Thanks Received:
    i was looking at DDR3-1600 XMP, and running a 1600fsb.

I was going with and XMP 2x2 ram kit, 'cause I read some where that the X48 will only run with one channel @ 1600 mhz.

to enlighten what i meant by 'difficult'.