1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sabertooth 990FX or Crosshair V?

Discussion in 'Motherboards & Memory' started by AlphaStormX, Aug 28, 2011.

1. AlphaStormX

AlphaStormX New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hi. My friend is building a PC and he wants to know which motherboard to use, the Sabertooth 990FX or Crosshair V? He'll be using Bulldozer and a Radeon 6970.

Thanks for answers :D.
  2. entropy13

entropy13

Thanks Received:
    ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Professional
    Biostar TA990FXE
    ECS A990FXM-A Black Extreme
    Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD7
    MSI 990FXA-GD80

That's the respective brands' "top-of-the-line" boards. If budget isn't a limitation, those are the ones to be considered.
  3. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I am stuck with the same question, I am still researching and cannot make up my mind yet. I am actually favouring the gigabyte 990fx-ud5 because of the slot layout.

From all the research I have been doing the crosshair 5 is the best 990fx board available and has more features than the sabretooth.

In aussie the sabretooth is almost $100 cheaper than the crosshair V. So for me:

A. I can't justify the extra $100
    B. the crosshair V has a lot of features I would never use.

Have you considered the UD5? It has some good reviews.
  4. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    I have read a lot about all of those boards lately and below are some of the interesting points I have found:

MSI GD80 - Apparantly has issues with memory. MSI also had a lot of problems with the 890FX board which were never quite solved. This is making people shy away from the 990fx

Asrock 990fx - Got some decent reviews, they couldn't get the fsb past 260 or so, where as crosshair V got up to 320. Plus there is a pic of that fatality dude on the bios pages which turned me right off. I don't wanna see some dude while I am tuning!! put Jenifer Hawkins in there or something. :)

GB UD7 - Great reviews and good slot layout.

Crosshair V - Always voted the best board in all reviews I have read. :respect:
  5. AlphaStormX

AlphaStormX New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've seen the Ud7 - LOADS OF FLIPPING SLOTS!!! I read some benchmarks to seee that the Crosshair V and Sabertooth had highest scores. Here in England its like a £10 difference.

He'll be playing Metro Last Light, Crysis 2, Team Fortress 2, Skyrim, Just Cause 2 (still playing it, but its amazing), Far Cry 3, Guild wars 2 etc...

So basically he'll be playing some demanding stuff and some not so demanding stuff.
  6. DrunkenMafia

Thanks Received:
    If those boards are only a 10 quid difference then I would definitely go for the c V. It is the best board out there.

Is your friend going to be overclocking or running 2 x gfx cards? If he is doing neither then any of the above boards are overkill, just grab a 990fx-UD3 or Asrock extreme 4 and save yourself some dough.