1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Sabertooth 990fx won't boot to windows logo, it shuts down

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by The3chosenone, Dec 14, 2012.

1. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I need help guys, I got a new asus sabertooth990fx and a new amd 8120 8 core. I've plugged everything in my pc correctly and turned it on. Some lights came on the dram okay turned on for 3 seconds then turned off, same with the VGA and boot device. Then it would flash to the CPU light really fast, I'll hear a buzz then it cuts off. Everytimr I restart I get this same seaquence of flashes. I've gotten it to the windows repair screen once. I clicked repair. It seemed to be working then it shut off. I didn't get the windows error or repair option. But once it started to load up it froze and shut off.

I'm really upset with this and I need help, why would asus make a board for a CPU that doesn't work? I've flashed my bios to the newest update and it helped out a bit. But same results. I cannot get into bios or it will shut off. I've heard that the mobo is going through post test but mine always failed. Any help will be appreciated. Yes I've tried the jumper and CMOS reset but it doesn't help. I have skype if someone could assit me using that once I get out of school. This is my 3rd build.
  2. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    press the "Mem OK" button located to the top right of the mobo, this saved me loads of times whenever i did something stupid in the bios :D. It should boot up the mobo, even if all kinds of settings are wrong by default, and you should be able to get into the bios with it(provided all other things work correctly of course).

Good luck!
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2012
  3. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've tried that to, it just shuts off. Well it turns on, it will last for 5/25 seconds then turns off. I'll turn it back on and nothing happen. :/
  4. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    Then you seem to have a problem with your hardware, and you need to start eliminating parts that can potentially be faulty. I recommend you start testing your RAM sticks individually, even though the Ram OK light turns on.

EDIT: are you using the same windows installation that you used on your former PC(and what PC was that in that case?)?

Also, it might be a good idea to fill in your system specs:)
  5. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Antec 900 case
    H50 corsair CPU cooler
    Amd 8120 8 core
    I think 500 watt psu
    Asus sabertooth 990fx 2.0
    500gb hard drive
    X2 radeon hd 6770 that's about it I think and yes Im using the same windows. Sorry for my spelling I'm on my phone right now.
  6. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    There is a button in the top of the forum screen called: "User CP", there you can fill in your system specs for us to view under your name:)

There is a big chance the problems you are having are the results of an incompitability of your previous windows installation with your current hardware. This means that you will have to reïnstall windows on your harddrive in order to boot to windows. A good way to check if this is really the case is installing windows on a separate harddrive.

I'm not totally certain that this is the matter, but it wouldn't be the first time. With every major hardware change its always best to reinstall windows(although there are probably some people going to disagree with me on this).
  7. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:

I took out the hard drive last night, same issues. I have no idea what's going on. I heard Ty rumors about changing it to raid or whatever but I can't do it because I can't get Into bios.
  8. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    If you're not getting in the bios(I appear to have conveniently forgotten that point in my previous post about windows), you're back to square one, and need to start eliminating different parts.

I'm curious as to how you managed to update your bios when you said you cannot get in the bios? Also, in what way did flashing the bios help a bit?
  9. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I used my old CPU, my x6. I downloaded the bios 1306 I think that's the one. Then I put it on a USB drive and it stopped my mouse from freezing in the bios when I was using the x6. Whenever I get up to the booting screen of windows 7 it would freeze up and shut down. I tried using the system reapair which failed too. Now once I use the x8 it shuts down the moment I press f1. When I get home I can make s YouTube video showing the problem of that helps.
  10. Mathragh

Mathragh

Thanks Received:
    well that bios should be correct(not the newest, but should support the 8120 atleast), and if you're upgrading from an X6, there shouldnt be any major incompatibilities. You might still want to check wether you didnt accidentally bump your RAM in a wrong way. Otherwise, I wish i wasnt the only one responding to this thread, as I'm usually not the best in troubleshooting stuff remotely :p
  11. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Well it's better to have some help than no help. I just don't know what to do, I was up for 9 hours looking up ways I can fix it but I can't. The only thig I haven't done was take out all the sata cords from the mobo. But the odd part is, whenever I take out the ram it's still the same thing, nothing changes.
  12. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    Throw the PSU away!!!!

(At least test with another one!!! ;)
    Aquinus says thanks.
  13. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    Can't say this with 100%, but your motherboard is dead. I would file an RMA.
  14. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'll go over my friends house to try his psu. I don't know if it will work or not.
  15. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    +1: Test with something that has more than 500-watts. I suspect that you're drawing a lot of power for your PSU. Who makes it?
  16. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    500w is enough. Won't hurt to try though.

Again, it's the motherboard. Not 100%, but close enough.
  17. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't remember who made the psu, I'm hoping it's not dead because I got it from new egg. I'm not sure how much power my friends psu has.
  18. Ravenas

Ravenas

Thanks Received:
    If you bought the motherboard recently from newegg, newegg or the manufacturer will RMA this product. Trust me. It's a headache but sometimes you just have to roll with the punches.
  19. Aquinus

Aquinus Resident Wat-man

Thanks Received:
    You can always look at the label on the PSU or check your order history on NewEgg so we have a better idea for what you're working with. 500-watts doesn't tell us too much about the PSU other than its total output, not its 12v output.
  20. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the help guys. Buy when I get home I'll find the name of it.
  21. Norton

Norton WCG-TPU Team Captain

Thanks Received:
    Does that PSU have a full 8 pin CPU power plug or just a 4 pin? The 8 pin may be listed as EPS 12v and be split so that it can be used in a 4 pin or an 8 pin cpu socket (sometimes called a 4+4 connector).

AFAIK you can get away with a 4 pin plug in most cases but it's not recommended. Also, make sure it is inserted properly and seated solidly- that connector feeds the cpu so it is essential that it is plugged in correctly.
    Crunching for Team TPU More than 25k PPD
  22. erixx

erixx

Thanks Received:
    to boot and enter bios and load windows, any todays PSU (with the correct plugs) will work, AFAIK

to enter BIOS only low wattage is used.
    Then, during boot, the HDD and a bit later the videocard card start to demand juice, then the other devices and periphericals... so the total demand during boot up is incrementing step by step, that's why a failure halfway could indicate a PSU problem....
  23. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I looked at the drive on the website again. I think I downloaded the wrong one. There's a 1604 I have the 1304 and before I flashed it I had 219
  24. cadaveca

cadaveca My name is Dave

Thanks Received:
    1604 or newer for Piledriver. Pop in your X6, and flash it. Even the X6 is not supported correctly until 0406, and if it came with 0219, that explains ALOT. ;)

If you cannot get it going, if you bought local, take it back, and ask them to flash to the latest. My local store offers CPU mount and booting service for free when you buy a board, I think all stores should offer similar, but they might not.
  25. The3chosenone New Member

Thanks Received:
    I got it from new egg and it's 4+4 pins not the full 8. But would flashing it to 2604 help? Do you guys know anything about the lights? All the lights flash once going through a cycle then once it hits the CPU it shuts down.