1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Safe? (6850 BIOS Flashing)

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by PiERiT, Aug 5, 2011.

1. PiERiT New Member

Thanks Received:
    The card in my profile has a BIOS switch. Switched to the left, it's borked; the card isn't even recognized and my monitor receives no signal. Switched to the right works fine, and it's what I'm using to type this.

I don't have a backup of the first (left) because I am dumb. I plan to dump the second (right) and use that to restore the first by flipping the switch whilst in Windows and flashing. Is it safe to do this? I know it's what some people did for 6950s, but I don't know if that applies here as well. I don't want to mess up the backup flash on a guess.

Thanks.
  2. erocker

erocker Super Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    You will want to flip the switch right before you hit enter to flash.
    PiERiT says thanks.
  3. PiERiT New Member

Thanks Received:
    In DOS you mean, or in Windows with RBE (or ATIWinFlash)?

If the former, I just tried that and it said Old 2440 New 2441 SSID Mismatch Error 0FL01. Is it safe to ignore that with -f?

If the latter, could you say exactly when? I don't want to hit it before pressing Flash, then have there be two or three confirmation boxes before the actual flash occurs.

Thanks!
  4. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Use ATiFlash, make a bootable USB drive. Place ATiFlash and the bios file on the flash drive. Then, restart and boot into DOS from the flash drive. Type: C:\atiflash -f -p "nameofbiosfile".rom

Flip the switch

Hit enter.
    PiERiT says thanks.
  5. PiERiT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Roger, trying that now. Back in a jiffy.

Edit: Worked a treat, thanks. The whole fiasco started when I tried flashing a modified BIOS I made with RBE that had increased 2D clocks. Guess I'll just count my blessings and ditch the idea.
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
    erocker says thanks.
  6. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Glad it worked out in the end..
    There's a way on the driver level to increase your 2d clocks. Read up here: http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/showthread.php?t=117633

*It needs to be updated since Catalyst has changed since then but it should work. What used to be called "Profiles" is now in "Presets". Good luck and let me know if you have any questions or if something doesn't look right. :toast:
  7. PiERiT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I was doing that prior to trying this, though I was editing the main Profiles.xml. I imagined it would reset every time I updated my drivers, which is what put flashing a custom BIOS in my head.

I'm sure the Profiles (Presets) would stick around after updating drivers, but it doesn't seem to work with 11.6. After creating a Preset and opening the XML, there are only a couple lines. The clock and voltage settings aren't present.

Edit: It also seems my card has developed a terrible coil whine today. Can't catch a break. :(
  8. erocker

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, I just noticed it doesn't work anymore. I'm trying to figure out a way to get it working again.

*Got it, updating now. :)
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  9. erocker

Thanks Received:
    PiERiT says thanks.
  10. PiERiT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Nice, thanks. I'll get that set up.

Now if you could only fix my coil whine. :(