1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Saints Row The Third

Discussion in 'Games' started by tigger, Nov 18, 2011.

1. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Hey, looks like a mod beat me to it - and it's an even better title than the original. :D

Sorry people, I wasn't trying to spoil anybody's fun and I had copied that title directly from the source. (It's not a news post, so I can get away with it. ;) )

2. 1Kurgan1

1Kurgan1 The Knife in your Back

Thanks Received:
    It's not funny to be a toilet shooting guns? Intentional or not, thats just silly. Haven't played SR3, but those games are known for being crazy, and beating games sometimes gives weird costumes. Like God of War 1 you beat the game and you get Dairy Bastard costume, it's Kratos wearing a cow suit and he swings around jugs of milk, hilarious.

Picture in the spoiler of it :p
    [​IMG]

LifeOnMars says thanks.
  3. DonInKansas

DonInKansas

Thanks Received:
    What a bunch of crap.

(pers)

4. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I'm really enjoying it so far. Played a lot today. Hourly income is about 20k, and I haven't done much missions yet - if you keep doing basic stuff to earn some money, and be patient, you can walk through missions with ease. Also the over-the-topness is kinda cool once you get used to it. Its surprisingly cool actually. Its not silly, its self-aware humorous.

5. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    it really is. and it's not bogged down by realism or even what makes sense - it's simply fun for fun's sake. not while playing but while writing this it reminds me of just cause 2. i have only put like an hour into it though, as there are too many games out right now. i got a pre-order deal months ago so got a bunch then, not knowing they'd all be released within 3 weeks of each other ;)

6. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I've put in like 10 hours up till now but I'm still at the beginning of the story. Yet I own a considerable amount of real estate. And the airport.

Really is a do whatever you damn well please and have fun doing it game.

I don't really like the radio stations tho. The Mix and K12 are good but the rest is meh. also, no talk radio wtf.

digibucc says thanks.
  7. FordGT90Concept

FordGT90Concept "I go fast!1!11!1!"

Thanks Received:
    None of the SR games have a talk radio channel. They really did poor with the music selection for SR3 compared to SR2.

I think I was just under $50,000 hourly income with the game completely beat (except finding collectibles). It's enough considering the most expensive items are under $100,000.

Crunching for Team TPU
  8. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Generally all stuff is relatively cheap. 45 dollars per grenade is a sweet deal.

9. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, the upgrades (for weapons and player upgrades) are what can get really expensive. I love the fact that they made ammo cheap. It wasn't cost prohibitive to use anything in the game liberally. :D

Crunching for Team TPU
  10. AsRock

AsRock TPU addict

Thanks Received:
    But is the driving as realistic ?. As they others sucked massive.

11. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It's an arcade game so the driving isn't meant to be realistic. SR3 doesn't even have racing events like SR2 did.

Although, you'll notice big vehicles like Bears, Bulldogs, and the various freight trucks don't turn very well unless you're barely moving.

Crunching for Team TPU
  12. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    Yeah you can drive with a car suspiciously resembling a Porsche that is lacking two tires and still do highspeed 90° powerslides controlled. I find only motorcycles to be a pain in the ass to control, such a hyper sesitive steering. In GTA VC and SA I mainly rode bikes but in SR I tend to avoid them.

13. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Can't change your perspective either when driving. It's always third-person to the car. Tanks also steer stupid--the movement controls in tanks are always relative to where you're looking, not the direction the tank base is facing. It makes it very difficult to travel in one direction and shoot in another.

Minor nuisances though...

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. Tokio

Tokio New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great game I "beat" it in about a week (10 hours). The story line is better then GTA IV, but that's just me, I really enjoyed every mission and it always seemed like it was the last one, as I said a lot more versatile then GTA.

15. digibucc

digibucc

Thanks Received:
    to each their own for sure - but there's a stark difference between the two. i think you'd be better off simply saying "i enjoyed it's story more than gtaiv's" because objectively "better" is something you can't honestly say. i've got the game and it's fun, but it's no where near as involved or well-developed as gtaiv's story was.

16. The_Ish

The_Ish New Member

Thanks Received:
    Things one needs to know about driving in SR3:
    As long as you hold [SPACE] you can do a infinite power slide.
    Why do we need tire upgrades when you can drive just fine with just the rims (hold [SPACE] for ultimate spark sliding action!)

17. Funtoss

Funtoss New Member

Thanks Received:
    I didnt know that this game was DX11!!!

18. theonedub

theonedub habe fidem

Thanks Received:
    The only thing I like about this game so far is the customization options (for both people and vehicles) and the abundance of cheap ammo. The driving controls and poor collision detection really take away from the game. Im only an hour or 2 in and the story is pretty poor so far, too.

Im hoping it turns around, but at this point I am not impressed.

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    It will--there's a lot of surprises you really don't see coming in the story.

Crunching for Team TPU
  20. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    I'm loving this game more and more. But the thing I love the MOST is how the city lives. The detail they put into this game is amazing.

Its starts raining, some people dig out their umbrellas, some people run under roofs, and guys reading the papers on a bank stand up, put their paper over their head and run under a roof.

People on cellphones boringly lean on mailboxes or lamp posts. And have actual conversations.

There are street performers playing guitar (and they play actual melodies). And beggars asking around for money.

Gang protesters holdings signs protesting against your gang. They even group up, sit on the sidewalk and blocking paths.

Random parts of the road get blocked due to construction, with construktion workers and machinery.

If a car accident happens, the police will show up and the accident victims stand beside them.

People recognise you on the streets and react depending on what they think of you.

And an OMGLOL moment: I was walking around when I saw a grandma holding up a sign protesting against my gang. This was the first time I noticed those protestors, so I shot her in the head. Then a guy in a green Gorilla costume walked by, stopped, looked at the corpse, took out his cellphone and snagged a pic of it, then ran away laughing.

I've seen people photographing spectacular road accidents, too.

Some cars blast louder music than others. Some you can't hear, some you can hear very loud when they pass by.

Police setting up random road blocks, because of other criminals.

Those are all small details, but they make the city seem so much more alive.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  21. INSTG8R

INSTG8R

Thanks Received:
    Gotta agree with you there. I picked it up cheap and frankly I wish I could have got it cheaper. It just doesn't have the depth of GTA(Tho oddly looking at the whole map of the city it sure does look ALOT like Liberty City...)

I dunno maybe I am just getting too old but despite sharing the same "style" of GTA I just can't seem to get into it or found much enjoyment with it.

digibucc says thanks.
  22. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    I didn't even notice most of that stuff (might have to replay).

Oh, and what's up with that cat mascot (from the Dr. blah blah blah whatever it was called gameshow)? It just showed up out of the blue and started killing cops and gang members. I had serious firepower (I think two machineguns) and started to unload on it and it wouldn't die! It killed me. :( That's not the first time I saw it either. Anyone know what those are about?

Crunching for Team TPU
  23. MRCL

MRCL

Thanks Received:
    That Professor Genki thing? Its sort of an easter egg. A very rare NPC randomly and rarely showing up. Never saw it in person but read about it. But I haven't heard of it being immortal.

FordGT90Concept says thanks.
  24. FordGT90Concept

Thanks Received:
    Hmm, according to this he is killable but not easily so and the reward is big ($100,000+). Makes me wished I backed off and took him seriously. XD

I think I saw him only twice playing through the entire game. Both times, he killed me. :(

So yeah, if you're not ready for a very hard fight, better leave him alone.

Crunching for Team TPU
  25. Tokio

Tokio New Member

Thanks Received: